Spoiled for Choice?

GlauG

External factors meant that I was stuck unable to model or paint any of my new Dark Angels stuff until a week after release, only cracking them open this weekend... Am I the only one finding that, with so many viable looking builds, and the death of the "standard" Deathwing squad, it's a bit harder to choose what to build than it was before? :) So far I have 5 DV bikers (two courtesy of a semiregular opponent), one of the new Ravenwing boxes, another few new RW Bikes due from one of the UK Bitz sites, and three boxes of the new Deathwing plus "normal" Terminators in the hundreds, but I can't work out what I actually want to DO with any of them, every time I try and build, I hit some weird mental wall, because theres so much choice. I'm particularly torn on the Ravenwing... I'd quite like to run a Command Squad, but I also love the idea of a full-sized Black Knights squad, too. At least I can magnetise and pin stuff so that it can be switched out...

So yes, is it just me?

Nope, it's not just you.

I've been looking at DA's for a possible second army, but it's hard to know where to start. I'm leaning towards a Ravenwing force, but there's so much coolness in that selection alone that I've been unable to decide.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll get there. I do have the Dark Vengeance set to paint while I decide...

Judging by the early reports from our fellow brothers in the DA forum, shooty terminators are the future. Especially if you plan to DS a 10 man squad on turn one. Depending on what you plan to attack with them, I'd consider swapping a CML for either and assault cannon or plasma cannon, or since you seem to have the models to spare, make one of each and pick and choose depending on the situation :). As for the other 8, you have to have a sergeant with a power sword, so i'd be inclined to take at least 1 chainfist and maybe 1 TLC the rest SB/PF. 2x 7/8 Twin linked SB shots on turn 1 deep strike? with heavy fire power thrown in? Yes please!

And I know exactly how you feel when it comes to choice. I'm dying to include Deathwing and Black Knights in my army, it's just finding the room for them amongst all the other goodies

If you can only afford one unit, make it Ravenwing Black Knights. They can adapt to all sorts of situations: low initiative genestealers in close combat (although you have a GL to assist with that!), anti infantry shooting of doom, anti light vehicle (anything 12 or under) and even support! If your last bike alive is a grenade launcher, he can still assist your Tactical Marines who are halfway across the board! For 252 points before upgrades for 6 bikes (all that you need), they're too good to pass up. I also had a stroke of luck in my 3rd game since the new codex where a squad of 6 took down a swooping flying Hive Tyrant at full wounds!

Oh, and they always have at least a 4+ cover save if they move, ignore cover entirely (except for assault) and look cool.

Archived