By the Lion, what have I got myself into?

MadMek83

Well, story short, I got laid off in work, I am moving smaller apartment and I will have to get along with bit less than 600$ after rent and taxes, starting February (it could be worse though). Initially this made me worry so much, how could I continue my service of the Lion with such small force I have painted:

10 Deathwing Terminators ( 2x5 units with assault guns)

2x Tactical squads from Dark Vengeance

WhirlWind

Interrigator chappy

Dreadnought wti hDCCW and Assault Cannon

Well, as packing I did full inventory of models I have primed or in box or semi ready and that who one day will join my Dark Angels:

Semi readies:

Dreadnought with DCCW, Assault Cannon, Missile Launcher and TL-Las. Missile and TL-Las option for my ready dreadnought.

3 Raven wing bikes

1 Land Raider

Primed:

10 magnetized Company veterans

Dark Vengeance Company Master

Dark Vengeance Libby

Lightning Claw version of Belial / TDA Company Master

Assembled but not primed:

10 Assault Terminators (5 with hammers, 5 with Claws)

3 Dark vengeance Bikes

1 chainfist DW termy from DV box (so I can make if necessary one 10 man Dakka Termy group)

Unassembled:

9 ravenwing bikes, 6 from Ravenwing Box, 5 Company Veterans and Honour Guard box (will mix kits for 5 or 6 man tacticals + Robed Honorguard after moving is done).

Now with soon all the time in the world I have, I can now fully engulf improving my painting skill and make DA my best looking army yet.

Using bit my old army days discipline, I think I'll manage decently and I can get box every 3rd month once I have finished this massive paint job.

So far my to buy list is:

2x Ravenwing Command Boxes (1 for the knights, 1 for the command Squad)

Predator

1 Box DW Termies.

However, I am starting seriously think: By the Lion, what have I got myself into. The amount of models is bit overwhelming when I placed all the primed and assembled figures same box and those still in box, the task seemed to be quite... Monumental.

I am dreaming getting 2nd landraider and Flyer but not sure if I can till I get tax returns in December. This is also reason I did not do official vow this, last month but I can finish LPC vow well once I have done moving in February.

Perhaps you should do less painting and more looking for a job?

Funny :P

OP: My advice is to take one bite of the Elephant at a time, state to us the unit you will paint, set yourself an achievable timeframe, STICK to it, post pictures to us to prove it. Before you know it you will have completed heaps(and swallowed some Elephant).

Also, try posting your completed models on B&C. Theres nothing more motivating than painting something and then getting some praise from your peers (and betters!). I still remember my first "awesome sauce" from Isiah! (brings a tear to my eye) msn-wink.gif

edit - spooling eeroorrs - I'd never make it as a GW proof reader - I spot my errors and correct them! whistling.gif

I feel your pain man!

I have

20 DV termies

10 AoBR termies

14 DV bikes

10 DV tac marines

20 regular tac marines

1 Nephelm/dark talon

3 Company masters

4 Librarians

None of which are even primed. It's a daunting task, but like stobs said, just take it a small chunk at a time and it will all work out in the end.

Might I interest you gentlemen in a enjoyable,time and money saving task.

Go and buy a chinese copy of any of the famous air brush companies- you will find them priced around 25 E. Find an old Fridge and take a compressor out of it. Some tube attaching later, and Ta-da!!!!

Your airbrush is ready.

Then , all you need is some oil paint and you'll undercoat and prime your models into any color you want.

Perhaps you should do less painting and more looking for a job?

Let's just say its not that easy. Do math: Would you hire someone for 14$ hour or would you then let government pay 7$ a day to get same guy work and do exactly the same job without needing to worry any payments and such as for regular worker? That is problem here. Nobody wants to hire worker when they have chance getting them work for free thanks to new laws.

Take advice from your own signature.  I have a feeling you, a son of the Lion, will overcome home life complications.  My two cents for the modeling/painting.  Keep finished models, the ones that make you proud, in front of your paint station/computer, and hide anything unfinished.  The only thing not painted you should see is the unit you're currently working on. This works wonders for me.  I get inspired easily, then find the silly errors in my previous "master pieces" that I can correct on the new models.  This way I feel like I'm continually progressing.  Show us some pics! Change your desktop background to a picture of the completed unit.  lol rant over 

My advice: don't look at it all at once if it demoralizes you. Pick 3-5 models you want to get done and only look at those. Make sure you take the time to display your old stuff, like farfromsam said. I have a bunch of friends that have commented on my models even though some aren't even gamers, and getting feedback from them is almost better than it is from the guys I routinely play is. Also, post things up here and if possible, let people know what you might want advice on, especially if you see something you want to know how to do in someone's thread.

As Stobz said, eat the elephant one bite at a time. You'll get done soon. :D. Also, I would hold off buying any more boxes at all until you get completely done, unless it is somehow limited time only or you absolutely need the bits to complete a vision you have for a model (and even then, find out if a bits site would be cheaper than the whole box, if you don't have plans for the extra).

Archived