Dark Vengeance & The Ascension of Balthasar + DV Box

Tenebris

With the advent of the new codex our DV miniatures at last have been updated and now they are in line with the novel and the audiodrama. I have decided to open this topic to discuss a little bit about the background around the 5th Company of the Dark Angels and its respective characters, also this topic can be used to discuss on the content of the novel and the audiodrama itself.

On the lore side both the novel and the audiodrama shed some light on the events around the 5th Company and the Crimson Slaughter warband. I liked the interpretation of the Deathwing terminators in the audio but I was a bit perplexed as how the whole concept of the Hunt was portrayed. We learn that the DW are a quite informal brotherhood and that the link between the 1st and the Company Masters of the other companies is very strong, a circle of peers in every form. As for the Crimson Slaughter I sincerly hope that a future novel will be released that explains the whole background since in both the audiodrama and the novel we are left with a rather blunt cliffhanger.

Now lets use this topic to expand more on the story behind Dark Vengeance, to give a name at its Dark Angels heroes and more important to speculate on how this story should develop in the future.

For a start lets make a list of all the Dark Angels characters present in the novel and in the audiodrama.

Strike Cruiser Pride of Caliban

A vessel that predates the Imperium and that has several decks converted to prison cells. It seem to be a rather powerful ship since it fared very well in the battle in the void above Stern's Remembrance.

Captain Selenaz - The commanding officer of the Pride of Caliban, a bound servant of the Chapter.

Astropath Jolena Forneau - Sacrificed to protect the secred about the Fallen

Company Master Zadakiel - The commanding officer of the 5th Company of the Dark Angels. KIA on Stern's Remembrance.

Sergeant later Company Master Balthasar

- Cyclone Missile Launcher and a pair of Lightning Claws as a Deathwing Terminator;

- Fellbane and a combi-plasma as Company Master

Fellbane is one of the legendary Heavenfall Blades and it is the symbol of office of the Company Master of the 5th Dark Angels Company. It is said that the sword is virtually indestructable and that bears an obsidian blade that has never lost its sharpness.

Librarian Turmiel

Interrogator Chaplain Seraphicus

Deathwing Squad Barachiel

Brother later Sergeant Barachiel

Brother Mendrion - Chainfist

Brother Dardariel - Assault Cannon

Brother Narcariel

Brother Varhmiel - recently elevated from the Ravenwing to the Deathwing

Ravenwing Squad Arion

Sergeant Arion

Brother Arias - Plasma Gun

Brother Gethel

Tactical Squad Raphael

Sergeant Constantin Raphael

Brother Angelus

Brother Heskia - Plasma Cannon

Brother Joash

Brother Regulus

Brother Selaphiel

Brother Simiel

Brother Orion

Brother Tennin

Brother Kerael - Plasma Gun

Brother Oriphiel

Now at least we have some names smile.png

Question time:

How is your interpretation of the novella and the audiodrama?

Which character is your favorite from the DV set?

How would you expand the DV army list to a legal 1000 points list for starters?

Post here your adventures of the 5th Company and the battles they have fought against the Crimson Slaughter...

• 2 years later...

Though this is an old topic, (and with apologies for the bump). it seems like just the thread for my question.

I have not listened to the audio drama yet but while reading the book, I did jot down the names of each of the soldiers in the Dark Angels force.  Imagine my surprise when, looking up more info on Constantin Raphael, I find this thread.

I am intending to paint or otherwise label the names of each soldier on the bases of the miniatures I'm painting.  I also want to paint authentic markings, but there is one thing I cannot seem to find in the book. I may have overlooked it, or it may not have been specifically mentioned:

What is the squad number of Squad Raphael?  I know it's got to be somewhere between 1-6 as those are the Tactical squads in 5th Company.  Most of the pictures in the booklet that came with the box set don't show the right shoulder of the tactical Marines, but the few that do seem to indicate 4th Squad.  Is this corroborated in the book, or at least not contradicted?

And for Ravenwing Squad Arias, is the 2nd Squad the correct designation?

So, how about this?  I look over my Space Marine decal sheets... and my Dark Angels decal sheets of every variety... and there are no Gothic "4"s to be had.

I know Carlson made a sheet  but it's still too cold and damp for me to spray fixative on a printed sheet.  So it looks like they are going to be 1st Squad.  If there's nothing in the book that explicitly contradicts that, all the better.

Archived