Greetings Brothers

Brother Bish

Hey all, just thought I'd stick my head in and say hello. It's been a long time since I paid attention to GW or anything Dark Angels. I have to admit after working so hard during my time at GW I was totally burned out and a bit disillusioned by the hobby. I won't go into it but I'm not a big fan of how GW has treated their employees and their customers so its been very hard for me to support the company even when I love the hobby.

But I was excited to see that Jeremy Vetock had written the new codex as he is someone that I enjoyed getting to know when I was there and having read the book I think the Dark Angels finally have the codex everyone has been hoping for. I've never hidden the fact that I didn't hate the last codex the way many did, and I know from talking wih Jervis back before it came out that he loved writing it and didn't do so with any intention of disappointing anyone. I probably would have done things differently but then I was never trying to be a super competitive player either.I preferred the paining aspect and playing Apocalypse anyway. But suffice it to say I think this new Codex is really beautiful and well written and propels the Hunt for the Fallen forward in a great way. Especially love the Deathwing Knights and the Ravenwing Black Knights.

I'm not sure that I will be getting back into the hobby yet. I do love the new models but I haven't touched the game or painted miniature since 2008. But I'm also getting married later this year and all my money is going toward that (and the kilt I'll be wearing ;) ) Perhaps after that I can see if time and money would permit a return to the rock and a long overdue update to Chamber 42, but then you've heard all that before hehe. ;)

I would also like to try and update the Ares Data Sheet to fit with the new codex and make some changes that I've been meaning to make for quite awhile. I will really try and do that soon and post it here and on the site.

I am also in the middle of reading Ravenwing, and loving it. This is the first thing I've read by Gav since he left to write fiction exclusivly and I think he made a wise move. He has improved a lot since he wrote Angels of Darkness.

Anyway, I wish you all the best, have fun with the new codex and minis.

Take care,

- bish

If you update the Ares Data Sheet, could you make flamestorm cannons an upgrade to replace the heavy flamers?

I think many players would use those parts and it would be a great help to make them count as their true weapon. Then you'd only need a Vindicator and a Redeemer to make an Ares and a Rhino. Another interesting option would be to allow swapping with Hurricane Bolters.

Bad boy Bish... lovely see you here :).  This is an exciting time for the Dark Angels and if you are looking at getting you're hand dirty...check out the LPC 2013 contest or the Path to Redemption Event!!!! 

Lot's of models, lots of fluff lots of hsitory development....jermy has done a marvelousjob in my opinion.... this is the best DA Codex to be released..... the separation between the unit rules and background fluff is extremely small now... Also, if you have been away..check out a few BL novels of recent times... Ravenwing by gav Thorpe and the newest "Book of the Lion"

SG

Hey Brother Bish! Long Time no see indeed! Great times of new codex release that allow old buddies to make a quick comeback!

I won't go into it but I'm not a big fan of how GW has treated their employees and their customers so its been very hard for me to support the company even when I love the hobby.

I know what you mean. Working for a medical company, I usually see how the points of interests of the company, the doctors and the patients often don't match...

However I keep thinking that who cares why and how you make the road if finally we're all doing it in the same direction.

Our codex is a perfect exemple for that : no matter if GW's goals weren't to give the customers the feeling that they have a flexible codex : what push them in that direction allowed us to get a codex we're happy with with nice new models.

I've never hidden the fact that I didn't hate the last codex the way many did, and I know from talking wih Jervis back before it came out that he loved writing it and didn't do so with any intention of disappointing anyone. I probably would have done things differently but then I was never trying to be a super competitive player either

I think we all agree that it was not Jervis intention. Problem was more in the fact that :

- dev teams don't share informations together -> explaining why we can have a codex elder with tons of units and powerful options then DA without any options then orks with tons of options.

- GW can't hold a guideline during one version... Actually during a year it's still difficult : how many times did you sees codex design change during the same edition? Look at the WD : they started a drawning on the edge of each volume and didn't manage to wait for the end of the year to change the size and get the drawning complete .

I think it's the same thing with DA : they decided a guideline for marines then decided to change it.

m not sure that I will be getting back into the hobby yet. I do love the new models but I haven't touched the game or painted miniature since 2008. But I'm also getting married later this year and all my money is going toward that

Good news indeed! Congrats! I was in the same process last year (though it was more a matter of Brazilian "clothes" than kilt :D )

Maybe you can already try to reorganize your force. New codex introduced new possibilities of squads/ squadrons (5 tacticals with HW, 4 bikes squadrons without the need of vet sgt... ) that gives you lots of tactical possibilities to explore without even needing a new model.

Come back regularly here even just for discussion, you're always full of good advice and opinions

Take care

Archived