Ravenwing Sacred Standard

Ushtarador

Hey guys,

I would like to discuss the banner choice on the ravenwing command squad, considering a full ravenwing army. Most people seem to take a Standard of Devastation for more dakka, however I am not sure if it is really as good as it seems. A lot of the damage usually comes from plasma, so you want to be in rapid-fire range anyway, and the Command Squad and the Black Knights don't benefit from it at all. Also, the bolter count is rather low anyway, because you don't have that many models.

Since my main army is Blood Angels, I may be a bit biased, but to me the Standard of Fortitude immediately appeared as the default option for a full biker list. There are very few weapons now that will deny FnP if you are a biker, and since every model is precious when your count is that low, every little bit helps a lot. What's even better, it helps against exploding plasmaguns, which hurts a lot if you have just a little bit of bad luck. It also has 12'' range, compared to the 6'' of the SoD, so you don't have to clump as much.

What's your opinion on this matter? More bolts or more resilience?

P.S. The Standard of Retribution is obviously pointless, as you did something very wrong if you get charged. :P

Standard of Devastation gives Salvo 2/4 to Bolters. Bikes are Relentless, so always count as stationary for the purposes of shooting. So, that's 4, twin-linked bolter shots at 24" for every bike. 

Seems worth it to me. 

I agree with you, I don't like the Standard of Devastation, probably because it's really good and I don't want to be "that guy." :P

But a Ravenwing army with the SoD is a strong and solid build. The list that won the TSHFT Open could counter pretty much everything. The player recently did quick batreps of the tournament and other than the fact he got really lucky and went first 4 out of 5 times, he out preformed everyone he played. With the combination of 4 shots per biker and speed no one could keep up. Our codex is less than a month old, so there is plenty of times to find other "optimal" builds, the standard was just the first. Oh and before I forget, you don't have to always shoot with the Command Squad. You could always position your self behind half of your army to get the SoD buff then turbo boost to the other half so they get the SoD buff. You could spread out a little that way. Might be a waste if you put your HQs in that squad, but with that tactic you're probably going to want to put the Command Squad in the back so they are harder to see.

But onto your point, I really like the Standard of Fortitude as well. And I was surprised it was 12". Personally I have a build with it in my head involving the Deathwing, mainly because I'm not that great of a Ravenwing player. I have a feeling the next "uber" build of our codex will be with the Standard of Fortitude. 

I've been toying with the idea of having the standards inside a transport of some kind instead, on a PA Command Squad... The idea of measuring from the hull of a Land Raider is just too appealing to me, especially with a Techmarine/Librarian with a power field generator inside or a Darkshroud hovering behind. The question is, could it keep up with the rest of the army if it came to it? A tank can move 12" a turn, and a Land Raider still gets to PotMS a full BS shot, right?

Yeah, a mounted command squad is a great banner-hauler unit.  I'd probably run it with an LRC just for the knock-on effect with the Hurricanes and the added toughness.  A power field Tech inside to give it a save and potentially repair it when needed is also a good choice.  I may still think about running a RWCS with a different banner on it though.  Perhaps even a RW Company Banner.  Either that or grab a SoF and run a Black Knight brick of invincibility (Librarian w/ power field generator, SoF command squad, Dark Shroud) and enjoy your squad that is almost as hard to kill as DWKs (and sometimes better!).  Roll them forward in a spearhead of hot plasma death while your RASs flank in and harass the enemy.

In such a configuration the RWCS is not only a smaller threat than the BK Brick, but provides some nasty shooting on the side while being very hard to kill.  They can even continue going flat-out every turn to maintain that 2+ cover save inside the stealth-bubble if you are really worried about them, since they are mostly getting take for providing the 12" FNP bubble.  Just watch out for cover ignoring weaponry (not ideal to field against Chaos) unless you attach the Librarian to them instead (which I wouldn't do, myself).

Archived