Terminators in.. Chimeras?

appiah4

I was browsing the codex today..

Under terminator armor, it states that units in terminator armor can not embar Rhinos and Razorbacks, and take up 2 model spaces in all other transports..

I can't remember anything about the Chimera entry about not carrying Terminator models, only that it can take 12 models..

Ally some guard MSUs, get Chimeras, stuff in terminators.. Profit?

What am I missing.

Plus the fact that Chimeras are very fragile. Good in numbers carrying 50-100 pts squads, not so good in limited numbers carrying a 200+ pt unit.

Eh, AV12 front armour plus 3 HP means they'd serve their purpose well enough: pushing 200+ pt units farther up the board than you'd normally get footslogging.  Terminators aren't really afraid of the S4 AP- hits if the vehicle explodes, and with Flat-out moves you can even use it as a disposable shield (with a decent chance of exploding instead of turning into terrain that blocks your own line of sight).

There is actually one army that can do this: GK termies can steal Chimeras from Inquisitorial Warbands.  You can get at most 4-5 "TDA in Chimera" squads (take Coteaz, 5x Henchmen squads w/Chimaera, 1x 10-man TDA Troop, plus 2x 10-man Paladin Squads).  However, there are generally better ways of getting TDA into the backfield (Deep Strike, Land Raiders, Stormravens, etc)

If you ally with Daemonhunter's ( GK dex)  you can take a IC Inquisitor in TDA, but that's about it. Plus TDA marines are better dropped, beamed, or via the rolling thunder method ( Raiders, and Ravens) .

Huh?

Ally Detachment 1

--------------------

HQ: Ordo Malleus Inq - TDA, Psycannon, Daemonhammer, PML1

E: Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband - 3x Warrior Acolytes w/ Bolters, Chimaera

T: Grey Knight Terminators - 5-man Squad, Psycannon

390pts

Ally Detachment 2

--------------------

HQ: Inquisitor Coteaz

E: Paladin Squad - 10-man, 4x Psycannon

T: Henchmen Squad - 3x Warrior Acolytes w/Bolters, Chimaera

T: Henchmen Squad - 3x Warrior Acolytes w/Bolters, Chimaera

870pts

Either can be tooled up with better Henchmen (Jokaero for heavy weapons, Death Cult Assassins/Crusaders for close combat, Plasma Cannon Servitors, etc) or different weapon loadouts (Incinerators, Brotherhood Banner for the Pallies, Psybolts, etc) and both get you at least one TDA-armoured unit with an attached psyker that can steal a Chimaera from the henchmen unit on T1.

Now granted, I probably wouldn't run either allied attachment. If I'm bringing anything from the GK 'dex its Strike Squads for Warp Quake or henchmen for cheap, high-powered objective sitters (Bolter/Stormbolter Acolytes plus Jokaero and/or PC servitors). But if you really want to have TDA hopping out of a Chimaera, that's how you do it.

Plus the fact that Chimeras are very fragile. Good in numbers carrying 50-100 pts squads, not so good in limited numbers carrying a 200+ pt unit.

There is actually one army that can do this: GK termies can steal Chimeras from Inquisitorial Warbands.  You can get at most 4-5 "TDA in Chimera" squads (take Coteaz, 5x Henchmen squads w/Chimaera, 1x 10-man TDA Troop, plus 2x 10-man Paladin Squads).  However, there are generally better ways of getting TDA into the backfield (Deep Strike, Land Raiders, Stormravens, etc)

Last time I checked was that another unit that did not buy the transport are not able to embark upon another unit's purchased dedicated transports. I.E. a unit of henchman buy chimera they choose to not ride in said transport, the grey knight approach the transport but are not able to embark in this transport due to its not part of their unit coherency. Another example would be a GK Storm Raven with terminators drops off it's cargo, and  then not able to pick up any other unit aside from the original unit. Has this changed in 6th ed? 

Last time I checked was that another unit that did not buy the transport are not able to embark upon another unit's purchased dedicated transports. I.E. a unit of henchman buy chimera they choose to not ride in said transport, the grey knight approach the transport but are not able to embark in this transport due to its not part of their unit coherency. Another example would be a GK Storm Raven with terminators drops off it's cargo, and  then not able to pick up any other unit aside from the original unit. Has this changed in 6th ed? 

last time i checked you couldn't have a unit start the game in another unit's dedicated transport, and allies couldn't share them, but units bought from the same codex could use one another's transports.

last time i checked you couldn't have a unit start the game in another unit's dedicated transport, and allies couldn't share them, but units bought from the same codex could use one another's transports.

mysteriousmaskedmystery is correct. The only unit that can be deployed in a dedicated transport is the unit that purchased it (plus any ICs attached to it), but once the game starts a transport is a transport is a transport. Any unit that fits can hop into it using the embarkation rules. This is the same in both 5th and 6th edition.

As for Stormravens, they aren't Dedicated Transports in any codex (yet at least), so they don't even have deployment restrictions.

Archived