Pbenner's Gaming Log

Pbenner

Was quite enjoyable. Played Deathwing vs Orks at 1000pts.

Played Purge the Alien. My list was:

Belial

Terminators x6
Assault Cannon
Mixture of Power and Chain fists

Terminators x5 (Two Units)
Cyclone Missile Launcher
2x TH//SS
3x LCs

I am not 100% on Orks But was something like:

Warboss w/ PowerClaw And Pistol
Some guy with a Shokkattak gun.

Boyz x11 in a Trukk
Big Shootas
Gretchin w/Runtherd

Some sort of Tank with a Kill Kannon and Zap Gun.

I won the roll and opted to go Second. I wanted to see his deployment. He deployed pretty conservatively.

His Warlord Trait was Outflank, so the Boyz and their Trukk were joined by the Warboss and opted to come in from Reserves.

Wasn't a lot of really funny things that happened. The one thing that made me giggle was the last gretching standing in close combat with Belial and company rolled snake eyes to stick. Was humorous.

I took First Blood and claimed the most Victory Points. Was a fun game.

Playing a friends Chaos Space Marines tonight, so we will see what happens.

Best,

Paul

Played 2500pts against Chaos Space Marines last night.  Was a very fun game.  We played "Big Guns Never Tire" with the tables halves being split down the Diagonal (forget what it was called).

I played the following list:

Belial

Interrogator Chaplain
Terminator Armor
Lion's Roar
Mace of Redemption

Deathwing Command Squad
Apothecary
2x Thunderhammer + Stormsheild
1x Lightning Claws
1x Stormbolter + Chainfist + Cyclone Missile Launcher
Deathwing Company Banner

Deathwing Terminators (Squad)
5x Additional Terminator
1x Stormbolter + Powersword
1x Stormbolter + Powerfist
2x Stormbolter + Chainfist
1x Assault Cannon + Powerfist
1x Cyclone Missile Launcher + CF
4x Thunderhammer + Stormsheild

5x Additional Terminators
3x Lightning Claws
1x Stormbolter + Chainfist
2x Cyclone Missile Launcher + LC

3x Lightning Claws

Land Raider Crusader

Dozer Blade

His list was something along the lines of:

Abbadon

Chaos Champion

(2) Units of Khorne Berserkers in Rhinos

(4) Units of Chosen in Rhinos  

(2) Las Cannon Predators (Sponsons and turret)

(1) Unit of Chaos Spawn

I put Belial, the Chaplain, and the command squad into the LRC, and deployed them to the board.  This gave me 4/7 units on the field.  I opted to DWA the three 10 man units.  

Deploying the LRC behind a hill, hoping to gain some cover for what I wanted to accomplish.  

He deployed everything to the board, in standard Chaos Fashion, as close to the edge as possible.  He failed to steal the initiative.

Turn 1:

Deathwing:

LRC moves flat out, opens fire with the TL Assault Cannon and wrecks the Rhino carrying Berserkers with the Champion.

Chaos:

All transports take a full advance.  The Stranded Berserkers advance towards my Land Raider.  

Predators open fire on the Land Raider (which is now in the open), but due to his aggressive movement of transports, he provides me a cover save against his only anti-tank weaponry.  I did not need it, as he failed to roll high enough to scratch my armor.  Berserkers charge the Land Raider, strap (1) melta-bomb to it, and get (1) Glance, (1) Pen.  I lose 2/4 hull points and some TL Stormbolters off one side.  

Turn 2:

Deathwing:

Deathwing Assault comes in, guns blazing.  2/3 units arrive within 6" of the Hull of the Land Raider Crusader, so no fear of drifting.  The third unit comes down right where I placed it (was lucky, as a deviation of more than 4" would have put my in terrain in all directions).  

The LRC backs up, Belial and Company pile out.  Deathwing Commences Shooting;

The shooty squad (who landed behind the Berserkers in the open), attempts to Split Fire their CML and fails the leadership, so they open fire on the Chaos Swarms and Abbadon.  Swarms go *poof* and Abbadon takes a wound.

The Command Squad also attempts to Split Fire, and fails their leadership test, so they all open fire on the squad in front of them.  They fell (4) Berserkers.

The last two squads pound (4) Missles into Each Predator.  (1) explodes, and the second is stripped (2) Hull Points and cannot shoot (Couldn't have gotten better)

The Command Squad assaults.  Overwatch plinks off Terminator Armor.  The Interrogator Chaplain issues a challenge, which is accepted by the Champion of Chaos (Who is weilding a Chaos Artifact).  They strike at the same initiative, and kill each other in one round, was a wonderful challenge.  (I missed (2) 4++ saves by 1 point)  Then Belial proceeds to obliterate the rest of the squad without them being able to swing back.  

Chaos:

Predator scoots over towards an objective far to the side of the field.  Rhinos with Chosen move into position to open fire on the Terminators that have just arrived.  Abbadon moves forward alone towards the shooty squad of Deathwing.  The Last Rhino (Berserkers) charges towards the LRC.

Plasma Guns come blazing into one of the squads of Deathwing, (2) from each Rhino, plus the Rhino's Bolters.  I lose (3) Terminators (2 TH/SS and 1 LC).  Predator fires snap shots at the Command Squad and fails to hit.  

Abbadon opts to assault the Shooty Unit, who is still (10) strong, issuing a challenge due to requirement.  Knowing how well PowerSwords do against 2+ saves, I decline the challenge.  I take a few AP2 hits to the face, but only lose one TH//SS terminators from his blows.  When the Powerfists/Chainfists/Thunderhammer swing back, they make quick work of him, landing (12) wounds.  

Turn 3:

Deathwing:

Belial marches towards the outside objective being camped by the Predator.  The three Deathwing squads move into position to assault if I manage to krak the Rhinos open.  Land Raider moves just enough to not be auto-hit.  

Command Squad fires Krak at the Predator to no effect.  Deathwing squads each pick a rhino and open up.  One of them explodes, taking (1) Terminator with it, one is wrecked, and I strip two hull points off the third.  

Two Deathwing squads assault the newly opened units.  Overwatch doesn't hit.  Challenges are issued and accepted, leading to casualties on their side.  I lose (1) more TH/SS terminator from an assult to a Powerfist, and win combat in one round.  

Chaos:

My Chaos Opponent concedes at this point.  He has still standing on the field (1) Predators, (3) Rhinos (1) Unit of Berserkers and (2) units of Chosen, which I can easily chase down by Turn 5.   

I had lost ~6 Terminators and 1 Interrogator Chaplain at this point.  

Was a great game against a great opponent.  

Best,

Paul

Looking forward to reading the report, but one thing about your list stands out (unless its just a typo!). Your DW Command Squad appears to have 6 members: an Apothecary, 3 TH/SS, 1 LC, 1 SB/CF.

The Apothecary upgrade takes away the option for that model to make any further weapon swaps, as he stops being a DWT and has his own statline, and also loses his PF for a narthecium :)

Apart from that I'll be interested to see what 3 x 10-man DWT squads achieve, as there has been much discussion on the merits of increased squad size vs more squads.

It *is* a typo, it is 2x TH//SS - I will fix this.  Battle Report is posted. I hope it's okay.  I need to start taking pictures.

I have two more games scheduled this week.  I will be playing a fellow B&C Member on Thursday Night (I might break out my Tyranids!) and then I'm playing another game of Deathwing vs Chaos Space Marines on Friday (different opponent than above).  

Games will probably be 1K and 1750 respectively.  

Paul

It *is* a typo, it is 2x TH//SS - I will fix this.  Battle Report is posted. I hope it's okay.  I need to start taking pictures.

Thought it might be, previous statement retracted! :tu:

Great report, and it sounds like your opponent had no answer to the Deathwing! I liked the use of Belial's homer to guide in two of the DW units, although there must have been some shocking dice rolling to fail both Split Fire Leadership tests in the same round of shooting! ;)

Good luck in your next games.

Wait, why was Abaddon by him self? huh.png And why would he charge that 10 man Deathwing Unit solo? Bad call on your opponents part :(

But his tactical mistake means your victory! Awesome battle report. Always good to see the Deathwing triumph over Chaos. I can't wait to hear about your next game!

Because of school starting up I now have to live vicariously thorough my brother's battle reports, since I can probably only manage a couple games a month now :P

Facmanprob - Well, I was rolling my Deathwing Dice from the group buy, and they always seem to roll high, so... :/  lol - Great for attacks and saves, but bad for scatter and leadership - I guess that's the breaks.

notmattlythgoe - I took regular Deathwing Melee guys for a few reason:

1) DWK are not scoring units.  Since most objective games will use d3+2 objectives, I needed scoring units

2) DWK are more costly, and very centrally focused.  If you're not fighting CSM, then only being AP4 most of the time is painful

3) No shooting - They can't take advantage of the DWA Twin Linked rules

4) I don't own any DWK models.  I plan on having a 10 man unit, but they won't be in until Friday, and will need to get painted.

Elphilo - Abbadon was with the Spawn - They got punked in the first round of shooting leaving Abbadon by himself.  He was mainly there to make the Chosen a Troops choice.  If he didn't charge me, I would have charged him the next round and been that much closer to the objective.  Since he was dead either way, he made me walk further by sacrificing his Warlord...  

Belial was rocking the standard loadout - Sword of Silence and Stormbolter.  I had nothing to deal with 2+ armor saves in challenges with the unit, so it might not have been the best choice, but I really like to new model, so I haven't modified it at all.  

I did not take the DW Champion because I didn't have a way to model him.  I was using my 5th edition command squad with minor changes to meet 6th edition rules.  When my new models get here on Friday, I'll be building a new command squad, so I will have (2) command squads.  Will have the Champion in the new one.  

Best,

Paul

Fair enough! We usually play with a LOT of 'this guy actually has', so.

I may go back to TH/SS - but the 2+ wounding with the Sword is pretty awesome. It's just too bad he doesn't get an extra attack for two CCW's. Haven't had much good come of shooting termies at all yet though.

Headed off to play my next game this evening.  Moving the list around a bit.  I think this is what I'm taking tonight:

Belial

Librarian
Terminator Armor
Lion's Roar
Mace of Redemption

Deathwing Command Squad
Apothecary
1x Lightning Claws
Cyclone Missile Launcher
Deathwing Company Banner

5x Additional Terminator
1x Stormbolter + Powerfist
2x Stormbolter + Chainfist
1x Cyclone Missile Launcher + CF

3x Lightning Claws

3x Lightning Claws

Land Raider Crusader
Dozer Blade
Multi-Melta
Hunter-Killer Missile

I want to play around with the Librarian a bit, I'm thinking that Prescience might be a good power to have attached to the shooty-heavy squad.  We'll see what happens.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Paul

Well,  Game went through as planned last night.  I am now 3-0 with Deathwing Forces.

Bat Rep starts below:

Deployed Terrain, rolled up Purge the Alien as the mission and Dawn of War as the Deployment.

My list as above, his list was something like:

Typhus

Sorcerer (level 2)

Chaos Terminators x7

Deathguard x7 w/2 Plasma and a Fist

-Rhino Transport

-Rhino Transport

-Rhino Transport

-Rhino Transport

Deathguard x7 w/2 Melta and a Fist

-Rhino Transport

Deathguard x7 w/2 Melta and a Fist

-Rhino Transport

Predator w/Las Turret and Sponsons

Predator w/Las Turret and Sponsons

I won the roll off and opted to go first.  I went with a similar plan as the last mission.  I deployed my LR right in the middle at the deployment line.  DWA for the three large squads coming in on Turn 2

He deployed aggressively, with everything but Typhus and the Terminators on the field, option to reserve them for Deep Strike.

No initiative was seized.  

Turn 1

Deathwing:

LRC rolls up into a piece of terrain moving flat out.  Hunter Killer Missile fires with PotMS and shakes a Predator with a Penetrating Hit.  Assault Cannon snap shots at a rhino and blows it up, killing a marine and leaving his Sorceror out in the open.  

Chaos:

Predators unload into the LRC, to no avail.  The unit with the Sorcerer comes forward, unable to do anything.  A melta unit disembarks and moves forward, unloading into the Land Raider.  They hit with both shots, two pens, losing me a Hurricane Bolter, and a Shaken.  There is some positioning on the other side of the board, but nothing major happens.  

Turn 2:

Deathwing:

Deathwing assault arrives.  Two units come down close to the Land Raider, using Belial's homer for a safe ride in.  I don't have a safe spot for the third (Shooty), so it comes in back and scatters badly, and is delayed due to a Mishap.  

Belial comes out of the Land raider, and marches towards the Sorceror's unit.  Unloading their firing into the unit.  Lions Roar takes down two, and bolter fire gets another one.  (FNP is kicking my ass at this point for his saves).  The other two units use their CMLs, One takes a sponson off a Predator, and the other does pretty poorly and can't   do much.

Belial assaults the Plasma Squad, losing no one to Overwatch, and an Overheating plasma costs Chaos a model.  I decline to issue a challenge, wanting to control which challenger I use in his required challenge.  He challenges with his Sorcerer, and Belial accepts.  Belial sinks a single wound against 5++ and 5+ FNP, and the Sorcerer sinks a wound, but Iron Halo comes through.  The Squad eats everyone, but the Champion in the chaos squad gets precision wound against the Librarian and I fail my 5++ so I lose him in the Close Combat. Oh well.  

Chaos:

Typhus does not come out to play yet.

With new targets out and about, Chaos positions it's self to start taking pot-shots at my Terminators.  Most things move within range of one unit or the other.  I eat a fire from the 4 remaining Rhinos and (2) Predators.  They move into position and Melta my LRC into oblivion, but at this point it has served it's purpose, so I am not concerned.  I lose a couple models from each squad in shooting, and not a whole lot else.  He does manage to lose two Plasma Gunners to Get hot again.  

He makes no assaults against me (I wonder why...).  Belial and Sorcerer are still trading blows.  The Sorcerer goes to activate his power weapon and perils on the roll.  His head explodes and the command squad is covered in brain matter.  

Current Score:  Deathwing 4, Chaos 2.

Turn 3:

My final squad does not arrive, so I still have 1/5th the my army that doesn't come down.  

My two squads that are out move towards their closest targets.  Belial moves towards another unit hiding in a ruin.  

Opening fire on two transports, I only succeed in glancing them to death, so the squads move out the back hatches away from my units.  No other real shooting of note.

Assaults are declared, overwatch is resolved, and I lose no one.   Neither squad makes their assault ranges through the wreck, so I'm still out in the open.  Oh well.  

Belial and command squad get their assault, and watch another Plasma guy over-heat and die during Overwatch.  Challenge is issued by the Champion, but since I do not have Eternal Warrior, I decline.  He opts to keep my Sargent out, hoping to get a precision strike against Belial.  I eat the squad with Lightning Claws, Champion swings and whiffs, and goes down to Thunderhammers to the face.  

Chaos:

Typhus comes out to play.  He drops in between my two Terminator units, and scatters something like 9" towards my board edge, almost coming off.  

Not a lot of movement happens.  He has a rhino immobilize it's self on terrain in the middle of the board.  The Squad comes out and positions to open fire on my terminators on the left board half.   

Massed fire on the left takes down the terminators there.  Literally, everything in range on that side of the board to kill the 8 terminators left.  Typhus, 7x Chaos Terminators, Melta Squad, Plasma Squad x2, 3x rhinos, and a predator.  

Predator fails to drop a terminator on the right, and there isn't much standing on that side of the field for Chaos.  

Score:  Deathwing 7, Chaos 3.

Turn 4:

Deathwing:

Last squad comes in.  Scatters badly again, but hits the ground safely.  

Belial moves back towards available enemies.  Opens fire on the only thing available and wrecks another Rhino.  Terminators on the right move towards the predator over there and fail to missle it, but get it in the following assault.  The squad that just came in opens up on the other predator and bring it down.  

Chaos:

Typhus splits off from the Terminators, and charges towards the right board half (the one I control at the moment), and runs in the shooting phase.  

Terminators move forward, a little re positioning happens.  

He opens up on the fresh terminator squad.  Massed fire kills 6/10 in this round, be he loses two plasma guys in the process (He's not happy about his rolls at this point).  

No assaults are on-going, so we move into Turn 5.  

Score:  Deathwing 10, Chaos 3

Deathwing

I go into KP denial mode, and move my 4 man terminator squad away from all threats and into cover.  Belial and the other squad move towards Typhus, as I want the Warlord points.  

I fire everything into Typhus, and sink 1 wound.  The 4 man squad has a missile left, and knocks down another Rhino with it.  

Belial and the command squad assault, as does the other squad.  He issues the challenge, and I decline, so Belial is not swinging this combat.  He uses his little hive-nova thing, sinks 1 wound on the command squad and 2 on the other, and I pass all my invulnerable saves.  In the following combat, Typhus gets weakened by the large squad, and I finally eat him with the Thunder Hammers and Chainfist in the Command Squad, gaining "The Hunt"'s VP.  

Chaos

After assessing the board, and the score, he concedes.  Final score is Deathwing 13, Chaos 3.  

We're planning a re-match.  I'll try to remember to take pictures.

Best,

Paul

Turn one you said LRC went flat out, did you mean cruising speed? Looks like taking those huge termie squads worked really well in this mission. Musta been nice to constantly be having all those rerolls. Did you feel the dw banner was useful? I've been thinking the only way to use a banner with deathwing is from a land raider. While i think the mission was not doing him any favors, your victory looks pretty good from a tactics perspective. I wonder if your opponent might have done better by diversifying a bit and taking a demon prince or two, definitely bad luck on those plasma over heats. Either way congrats on the win and thanks for reporting your exploits.

The DW command squad has been lack luster. I will probably not use a command squad in the future, even though I am building a second one. The banner is okay, but unless it is in a supporting position to help a second squad, and that squad needs help, then it isn't great.

The Land Raider moved forward at cruising speed, yes. A full forward movement to position for DW Assault Support. That is its real purpose in this list.

The mission was obviously in my favor. I only brought 6 kill points, he brought that in Rhinos, so at a total of 17 he had to table me for that to be a win, I would have struggled in Big Guns though, possibly.

I won't critique his list, as he has been doing well with it. This was his first loss with the list.

Also, I did not get universal re-rolls. Preferred enemy only re-rolls 1s, but it is to hit and to wound. So with high strength weapons it is great.

Questions and critique always welcome.

Paul

Thanks for posting the battle report Paul. I've been meaning to get a land raider crusader for years but I think it's finally hit the top of my 'buy next' list.

Had a game last Thursday with Paul. We played 1k. Mission: Big Guns Never Tire. Deployment: Standard. Armies: Dark Angels vs. Tyranids.

My Army:

HQ: Librarian

-Lvl 2

HQ: Command Squad

-Melta Gun

-Banner of Dev.

TR: Tact Squad (10men)x3

-Melta Gun

-Missile Launcher

HV: Predator x2

-LC Sponsons

Nids (Paul-help me out with this)

HQ:Hive Tyrant

-lash whips

-x2 bodyguard

HQ:Trygon

-talons

TR:Geanstealer (x8) x2

-rending claws

TR:Genestealer (x8)

-rending claws

-broodlord

We rolled for 4 obj:1 on my left flank on top of a blue tupperware hill, 1 on the NW corner of central hill, 1 on my right flank SW corner of baking pans and 1 on the NE corner of Kong Mt. (All directions are from my POV. -We forgot about mysterious obj...

Deployment: I won teh initiative and decided to deploy first. I deployed conservatively knowing he had to come to me. And to ensure maximun use of Banner.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q608/egon1six/DSCN0024.jpg

Nids side: He deployed the big ones as far forward to my left flank. Infiltrated 2 stealers to the north of the central hill. The 3rd stealer with Broodlord was by Kong Mt.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q608/egon1six/DSCN0025.jpg I maintained initiative after deployment.

Turn 1-1:

*I re-positioned a little to gain advantage of open fire lanes and to ensure banner was with in 6'' of all squads.

*I shot everything on the left flank at his Hive tyrant causing 1 wound on a bodyguard. Pre-Science'd the right flank squad with snake eyes! Brought the Broodlords squad down to 2 stealers and the Broodlord.

*No assaults. 

Turn 1-2:

*He moved everything as close as possible. Ran the stealers to the top of central hill.

*Shot with tyrant and killed 1 marine.

*No assaults.

Turn 2:

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q608/egon1six/DSCN0026.jpg

Turn 2-1:

*I repositioned slightly again to maximize firing lanes.

*Shot left Predator into Trygon dealing 2 wounds. Pre-Science'd Squad 2 (no perils this time) they shot at stealers on hill same as squad1 behind. Squad 3 shot at Broodlord squad. Wiped all 3 squads of stealers with Salvo!!!

*No Assaults.

Turn 2-2:

*Moved Tyrgon and Tyrant forward.

*Tyrant shot at Squad 2 killing 2 Marines.

*Tyrgon assaulted Pred on left flank, destroyed it 3 times over! Consolidated towards Squads 1 and 2. 

Turn 3:

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q608/egon1six/DSCN0027.jpg

Turn 3-1:

*Move Squad 3 towards NE obj. I repositioned again to maximize fire on Tyrgon as it was about to roll up my laft flank!

*Shot everything I had into it with a Pre-Science'd Squad 2. Killed it! Phew!

*No assaults.

Turn 3-2:

*Moved Tyrant closer.

*Shot again at Squad 1 killing another Marine.

*Assaulted Squad 1. Issued challenge I accept with SGT. SGT dies before he knew what hit him!(lash) I lose combat but stick.

Turn 4:

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q608/egon1six/DSCN0028.jpg

Turn 4-1:

*Repositioned Squad 2 in preparation for Tyrant to eat Squad 1. Squad 3 moved closer to NE obj and claimed it. 

*No shooting.

*Tyrant chokes on Squad 1 can not finish his meal. I still stick.

Turn 4-2:

*No movement.

*No shooting.

*Tyrant finishes his meal and consolidates towards Squad 2/ Librarian.

Turn 5:(didnt take a pic of this one)

Turn 5-1:

*Reposition Squad 2/ Librarian a little.

*Shoot everything into Tyrant causing both bodyguard to die and bring him down to 2 wounds.

*Assault Tyrant with squad 2. Issue challenge with SGT. SGT turns into dessert!

Turn 5-2:

*No movement

*No shooting

*Tyrant kills 4 Marines. I stick around. (My marines like to make bugs fat and happy!)

Roll for Turn 6.... No turn 6. I win by a Minor Victory. If I would of moved Squad 3 North into deployment zone it would of been better.

Had alot of fun this game and learned alot (still getting the hang of 6th and the new DA!)

Ben was a wonderful opponent.  I was woefully illprepared with my table.  I have all the stuff I need to finish it, just need to get there.  When it warms up this spring, I fully see myself getting going on it full bore.  

The list is right.  There were Regeneration on the big bugs, but other than that, you're square.  

I needed a little more cover for 'stealers to be effective, but it happens.

Pardon the whiskey bottles.  :D

Paul

That banner is nasty if you don't have the right stuff to back it up.  In the future, I would do things differently, but I've not played Nids in a along time.  I don't currently have Tervigon models, so I need to get those.  I would like to take a re-match at 1K with a different list, provided Ben is up for it.  :D :D  (Challenge Issued!)  I would need to buy some models and paint them first though.  

Tonight's matchup is going against Black Templar.  I want to try out some of my new tanks that I've been in the process of painting, and I've not ran a 3 Land Raider list before, so I will be running this:

Belial

Interrogator Chaplain
Terminator Armor
Power Field Generator
Lion's Roar
Mace of Redemption

1x Additional Terminator
1x Lightning Claws

1x Lightning Claws
1x Cyclone Missile Launcher + LC

1x Lightning Claws
1x Cyclone Missile Launcher + LC

Land Raider Crusader
Dozer Blade

Land Raider (Godhammer)
Dozer Blade

Land Raider (Godhammer)
Dozer Blade

I will not be using DWA this game more than likely, as I've wanted to try without it, and I want to take advantage of the armor.  I will provide a Bat-Rep tonight or tomorrow.

Paul

Nice set of batreps there and good to see how things are panning out. Do you think ten man squads are the way forward for Deathwing or are they a case of too many eggs and could get tar-pitted?

Archived