Pbenner's Gaming Log

Pbenner

Nice set of batreps there and good to see how things are panning out. Do you think ten man squads are the way forward for Deathwing or are they a case of too many eggs and could get tar-pitted?

There are not many things that I can think of that could REALLY tarpit a 10 man Deathwing unit, if it's equipped with a good mixture of AP2 and AP3 weapons.  

A horde of Ork Boyz would put a hurting on them, but they'd limp away if they managed to win, and it's unlikely they do, as your AP3 will strike with them.  Off the charge with my standard 10 man loadout, I would am throwing 15 at initiative power attacks.  Hitting on 4s, means that I will hit 7-8 times, and wounding on 5s means 3-4 wounds early on.  Then moving to the AP2 stuff, you're looking at another 10 attacks, 5 hits, and 4-5 more wounds.  That's 10 boys in the first round of combat, OFF the charge...

30 man squad with a Nob leading, you're going to kill 10 on your round, and probably win combat by atleast 7.  Lose three guys in the next round, and then take out another few when you keep going.  

Provided that you've got good shooting support, and you're playing smart, not many things that are effective will keep you tarpitted.  

We'll see what happens tonight, I may be looking at some big squads of Power Armor, so we'll see what happens...

Paul

Still did not get pictures of the last battle, but I will honestly say I lost.  

Sadly, the list I played against was specifically designed to kill Terminators, and would not have done well against many other "all-comers" type builds, which is depressing.  But, losing to a tailored list is one of the facts of life.  I won't go into a bat rep, but it basically would read:

Las Cannons kill Terminators, even with a few Storm Sheilds.  Especially when your opponent brings as many as he can possibly field in one list, and deploys as far back as possible in a Victory Points game, oh well.  

If I play him again, I will bring a different list.  I have the intention of playing no more lists with more than a single Land Raider, it's far too easy to lose them and the new vehicle rules make them worthless as delivery systems, and they're too expensive to be a gun boat.  

Paul

Still did not get pictures of the last battle, but I will honestly say I lost.  

Sadly, the list I played against was specifically designed to kill Terminators, and would not have done well against many other "all-comers" type builds, which is depressing.  But, losing to a tailored list is one of the facts of life.  I won't go into a bat rep, but it basically would read:

Las Cannons kill Terminators, even with a few Storm Sheilds.  Especially when your opponent brings as many as he can possibly field in one list, and deploys as far back as possible in a Victory Points game, oh well.  

If I play him again, I will bring a different list.  I have the intention of playing no more lists with more than a single Land Raider, it's far too easy to lose them and the new vehicle rules make them worthless as delivery systems, and they're too expensive to be a gun boat.  

Paul

Sounds like a guard list. Plasma spam guard is really tough. Better luck next time. Was it just poor rolling or do you think that you were hampered tactically someway?

Two things hampered me.

1) Vehicles are not good in this edition.  Him having 10+ Las Cannons (4 Twin Linked) didn't help, but they can't move and shoot the way they used to.

2) I didn't bring a lot of bodies like I should have.  I stuck to (5) man DW squads due to the 750+ points in vehicles.  If I did it again, I would be bringing my usual 10 man squads.  

I am still feeling out the pure Deathwing armies.  I need to continue to play with lists and builds and see what sticks for me at each point level.  

Paul

• 6 months later...

I Finally caught a game last night.  I played 1500 points against one of the newer local guys, playing Thousand Sons.  

My list was;

Belial

Command Squad (Company Banner w/ TH//SS, Apothecary, Champion, LCx2, and AC//PF)

Deathwing Knights (Minimum)

Deathwing Terminators (LC x2 + CML, LC x2, Sarge, TH//SS x2) (x3)

His List:

Chaos Sorceror w/ Mark of Tzeench

9 man unit of Chaos Terminators of Tzeench, rocking a Maul, Axes, and Chainfists with a Heavy flamer.  

Thousand Sons (Aspiring Sorceror, 8x Bolters, 1x Banner Thing) (x4)

We setup the table, and rolled up a mission;  The Scouring.  Placing our objectives, we wound up heavy to one table edge, with 5/6 objectives being on the left half of the board.  

When we rolled up Deployment, it came up as Hammer and Anvil.  He won the roll and took the side with all the objectives (Which is what I wanted anyways).  I won the roll-off and made him deploy first.

He deployed spread out.  Covering as many objectives as possible, with his Sorceror standing by himself.  

I deployed Belial, the Command Squad, and (1) Terminator Squad, leaving the other three units for a T2 DW Assault.  

I failed to sieze the initiative, so he went first.  

Turn 1 - 1Ksons

His squads moved forward, with only the squad nearest Belial being able to get some shots in.  I lost my Auto Cannon first round, oh well.  Nothing else he has has range to shoot.

Turn 1 - Deathwing

Belial and the command squad marches forward, shooting, and then slamming into the squad they just took fire from.  Challenge accepted by the Apothecary, and the DW Command Squad rips apart all but 1-2 of the 1K Sons, taking no return casualties.  The Apothecary and Aspiring Sorcerer have a slap fight.

The DW Terminators on the table take a pot shot as his lone HQ, hitting and wounding twice, but the invulnerable save holds.  

Turn 2 - 1Kson

No Terminators come in.  Very few shots come across the table, and I lose (2) Terminators to a Sorcerer's template.  The DW Champion can't seem to take the initiative to push the Apothecary out of the way, and he and the aspiring sorcerer continue to have a slap fest.  

Turn 2 - Deathwing

Three units arrive via DWA.  The DWK scatter badly into terrain, and I lose one to the DT Test (/sadface) and the other unit not in Belial's bubble scatters not so badly.  The unit near Belial comes down no issues.  

2/3 CMLs this turn go into the lone Sorceror, not wanting to deal with Doombolt, and he finally fails a save.  All that is left are his boots.  DWK Run into a better position to assault.

I Opt to not push the Apothecary out of the challenge, so he and the Sorcerer still sit and have a slap fight with Belial and Command Squad watching diligently.  

Turn 3 - 1ksons

Terminators arrive, coming down right in the middle of three of my DW Units.  

Shooting this turn costs my 4-5 more Terminators between Hellfire Rounds and Templates.  The Terminators manage to take down 1 more DWK with their shooting.  

The Apothecary finally lands a solid blow and frees up Belial and his unit.  They score a 6 on their consolidate, and march towards the largest point objective, with the intention of contesting it.  

Turn 3 - Deathwing

I Split fire all my missiles near his Terminator Unit, using them to help pick off 1Ksons where possible, and the sarge to paint a primary charge target.  The DW Champion still seems to think that the Apothecary can hold his own, so they still play sissy fight.  

2/3 units surrounding the Melee with the Terminators slams into them.  (2) LC Terminators + (3) DWKs.  Between the DWK's special move and some good rolls, 9 Terminators became 4 Terminators very quickly.  

The three man squad also got into combat contesting an objective and starting to mow through 1Ksons.  

Turn 4 - 1Ksons

All of my units are tied up in combat, so there is no shooting that he can do, and he doesn't want to leave the (4) point objective he's holding in his back field.  Moving straight into combat, the Apothecary finally slaps the unruly aspiring sorcerer down.  The DW Knights mop up the remaining Terminators with the last 2 LC guys. My squad with 2 LCs and a CML with no Sarge mop through the last couple of 1ksons and move back to cover an objective.  Belials squad gets a 6" Consolidate straight towards his last squad.  The DWK and LC Terminators shuffle forward towards the next threat.  

Turn 4 - Deathwing

Belial moves towards the final objective with his squad.  Firing, then assaulting. The Apothecary takes the challenge again, and the rest of the command squad mop up some 1Ksons.  The Apothecary learned something i guess, becuase the Sorcerer died first round, haha.  

The DWK and LC TErminators and the lone sarge charge the last other standing squad, reaking massive casualties and receiving none in return.  

Turn 5 - 

We called the game at this point, with him having <8 men on the field and me having 12+ terminators left.  

Major Victory to the Deathwing.  

Paul

Archived