How many Command Squads can I take?

HsojVvad

Thanks Raven of the Wing, for the answer.

I see where I erred. The HQ must be in Terminator armour to take Deathwing Command, and ride a bike to take Ravenwing Command.

So just in case I missed it, can someone riding a bike take Terminator armour? I can't find it anywhere. So I guess the answer is no, but thought I would ask just in case I missed it.

Importantly, nowhere does it say that a HQ choice in Terminator Armour or on a Bike CANNOT then take a "regular" Command Squad as well as, or instead of a Raven/Deathwing Command Squad.  So to use your example, technically Belial and Sammael let you have one Ravenwing CS, one Deathwing CS, and two normal Command Squads. 

Thanks Raven of the Wing, for the answer.

I see where I erred. The HQ must be in Terminator armour to take Deathwing Command, and ride a bike to take Ravenwing Command.

So just in case I missed it, can someone riding a bike take Terminator armour? I can't find it anywhere. So I guess the answer is no, but thought I would ask just in case I missed it.

In the wargear list, there are 3 notes.  Note 1 states that bikes and jump packs cannot be taken by characters outfitted with terminator armor, or vice versa.

It was discussed before. If you take Belial, Sammy and two techamrines on bikes, you can take:

- 2 PA Command squads (one for Belial, one for Sammy)

- 1 DW Command squad (for Belial)

- 3 RW Command squads (one for Sammy, one for each techmarine - note that, contrary to PA Command squad, techmarine is not excluded from unlocking RW command squad, as long as he's on bike).

And if you really like to press it - servitors are also not included in the PA Command squad unlocking exclusion... ;)

It was discussed before. If you take Belial, Sammy and two techamrines on bikes, you can take:

- 3 RW Command squads (one for Sammy, one for each techmarine - note that, contrary to PA Command squad, techmarine is not excluded from unlocking RW command squad, as long as he's on bike).

And if you really like to press it - servitors are also not included in the PA Command squad unlocking exclusion... ;)

Then why does it clearly state that the tech marine can not unlock command squads of any type? Personally I think your hq can unlock only one command squad at a time and depending on equipment (TA or bike) determins what type it can be. Therefore I'll have no more than two of any type of command squad at one time and if I play another DA player trying to have more they'll be dread socked :P.

And if you really like to press it - servitors are also not included in the PA Command squad unlocking exclusion... msn-wink.gif

Then why does it clearly state that the tech marine can not unlock command squads of any type? Personally I think your hq can unlock only one command squad at a time and depending on equipment (TA or bike) determins what type it can be. Therefore I'll have no more than two of any type of command squad at one time and if I play another DA player trying to have more they'll be dread socked tongue.png.

I believe you are mistaken brother, the Ravenwing Command Squad (RCS) entry states that each HQ choice on a Bike allows you to take an RCS the only exception noted are other RCS. From your quote you may have misread the Techmarine entry which states that Command Squads of any type do not unlock a Techmarine, not the other way around.

Exactly - Techmarine is not unlocked by any Command Squad, and PA Squad is not unlocked by Techmarine - no such restriction exist in RW Command Squad (it's not needed in case of DW COmmand Squad, as Techmarine cannot take Terminator Armour).

Right.  If an HQ entry doesn't take up an FOC slot, it does not apply for the purpose of Command Squad access.  Of course this is only a half-arsed issue for Company Command Squads, as the DW and RW Command Squads are limited to two special HQs and HQs having  TDA or a bike.

Written you could take a ravenwing command unlocked by a techmarine but I guess the spirit of the rules rather mean that only the masters (that can never unlock a ravenwing command as they cant take a bike), librarians and chaplains will unlock ones. Given that the DAs are one or the chapters that puts techmarines apart and not honors them as the other types.

Because they wanted to be blatantly clear. Unfortunately they failed to be fully, blatantly clear, as the they did not mention Servitors in that list. So, technically, Techmarines cannot unlock a Company Command Squad, but a squad of near mindless Editors...erm...I mean Servitors...can. For the Servitors! tongue.png

And yes, a Techmarine on a bike can apparently unlock a Ravenwing Command Squad. Lame, but true. Definitely need errata to fix these inconsistencies.

This happened cause they wanted to put the rules about who can take a command squad in the squad entry itself...

It would be more clear of the option of taking a command squadbwas under the IC entry.

Example:

Company Master

Stat line

Special rules

Options

Command Squad: a Master in PA or AA can take a command squad, a Master in TDA can take a DW command squad. Pls refer to the appropriate entry in the codex and notice that a command squad doesnt take a slot in FOC.

Neat and simple. Was it so hard to write this way???

Because they wanted to be blatantly clear. Unfortunately they failed to be fully, blatantly clear, as the they did not mention Servitors in that list. So, technically, Techmarines cannot unlock a Company Command Squad, but a squad of near mindless Editors...erm...I mean Servitors...can. For the Servitors! tongue.png

And yes, a Techmarine on a bike can apparently unlock a Ravenwing Command Squad. Lame, but true. Definitely need errata to fix these inconsistencies.

How so can servitors unlock a command squad? Neither they are an HQ choice nor take a slot. They are an upgrade to an HQ counts as. On can stretch it to the point of calling them wargear.

Techmarines/Servitors/Command Squads are all HQ Choices, they simply do not take Force Org slot.

If they weren't, they will be no need to mention that Techmarines do not unlock another Techamrines or Command Squads.

From Techmarine entry: "For each HQ choice in your army (not including other Techmarines (...)" - for me this part clearly classifies Techmarines as HQ choice.

Techmarines/Servitors/Command Squads are all HQ Choices, they simply do not take Force Org slot.

If they weren't, they will be no need to mention that Techmarines do not unlock another Techamrines or Command Squads.

From Techmarine entry: "For each HQ choice in your army (not including other Techmarines (...)" - for me this part clearly classifies Techmarines as HQ choice.

Then a command squad can unlock another command squad by that very train of thought.

Its like stearnguard with Pedro Cantor and our 4th edition scoring speeders. Scoring yes, troops no.

What "train of thought"? That Techmarines and Command squads are HQ choice? Yes they are - that's exactly the reason why GW put the exlusions like "(not including Techmarines or other Command Squads of any type)" (this one is from PA Command Squad). If they were not, and this exclusion was not in the rules, then you could indeed the Command Squad per another Command Squad, or Techmarine per another Techmarine.

Archived