Female Terminator Inquisitor - Update 01/31/13

Rogan

Do you guys know this feeling of "darn, I've spend too much time learning syntax/maths/whatever"?

I never learned a lot for school or college, but since it's almost exam time, I felt the need of spending some time with important stuff  was forced by my girlfriend to sit on my butt and read wise-a$$ books.

Anyway, since even the fear of being punished by one's gf can't stop exhaustion from slowly creeping in, I wanted to do something rather pointless and just for the lulz, without a deadline or whatever. So I browsed a German forum and came across a thread where someone asked for a sculptor to make him a female terminator inquistor. I found myself immediately inspired and the ongoing discussion of aesthetics vs fluff/protection couldn't stop that.

I named her Roana, after my gf's angry The Dark Eye character, a muscular and well-armed amazon. She'll be beefed up in some areas and have some more stuff like a loincloth (making her sorta look like an adepta sororita on steroids) and more insignia. And of course, she'll have hands and feet! Her head will be a conversion of a Dark Eldar wych head and she'll have a psycannon and a force sword - which, since I only yesterday fell in love with the new Warriors of Chaos lord, will be resembling a daemon weapon.

This is the first time I'm trying to sculpt an entire miniature. The last attempt on scultping was some decoration on a Nurgle Lord's armour. So... long story cut short:

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/792/inquisitorroana750px.jpg

The sculpting is looking good. I'm not sure about the armour's hood though. Maybe it's because there's no head yet, but it looks a bit too square at the moment, kind of like someone wearing a cardboard box on their head and pretending to be on TV. I'm sure that will go away though as you add more to the sculpt.

Also the hood seems a bit too tall, it looks kind of awkward. I think if I was doing it i'd try to drop the hood a bit lower while still leaving room for her head. That might make it look  more delicate, in keeping with the rest of the armour (delicate for Terminator armour is of course, a relative term).

I think that looks great! Much better than anything i could do. If i were to offer a criticism, my only comment would be that it seems like the the back is a lil too tall, as if it should start more around the waist line, as opposed to at the bottom of the shoulder blades, that way it doesn't sit so high above the shoulders. Hope this helps, but our skills are pretty awesome my friend.

@Toxichobbit: First things first: thanks a lot :)

Concerning the hood - you got me there. I'd even go so far to say that this is the worst part of the miniature yet. I started building a frame using wire and plasticard, and since the hood was made from plasticard, it was one of the first things to be done. I had to rework it once already, making it some 15% less wide, but it still looks as big as it did when the model was a plasticard scrapyard with four wires sticking out. On the other hand, though, the head which I intend to use is almost too big to fit in. :(

About the wearing-a-box-thingy - a friend of mine called it "a tv set gone berzerk - with boobies". I guess there's something to it after all xD

@Grizzly Adams: Go ahead criticising me - isn't that what such a thread is there for? :)

Thanks for your praise. and I agree - she seems to have a way too long back. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that before and I fear I won't be able to change that any more. Not in this sculpt, that is. I'll most likely start another one (depending on the outcome of this, either puritan or radical), which I plan to sell. And I do hope I learned from my mistakes in this one ^^

Thanks for your comment :)

Darn, triple post! Well, sorta.

Anyway, here's an update on Roana, beginning with a short summary of what I've changed so far:
- Finished the first part of her robes - namely the right sleeve.
- Finished the base of her coat-of-arms
- prepared her psycannon for further modification
- added ornaments to her left shoulder pad
- added hair and the base of a collar to her head (chose a head!)
- added additional armour (tasset and bracers)

Now for the pictures - here's the head. Unfortunately, the picture is sorta meh, since the metal reflects too much and the part in question is, dunno, kinda small? ^^ I wanted her to have a friendly girl-next-door look - 41st millenium trigger-happy semi-omnipotent girl-next-door with 90's haircut-look, to be precisely.
http://imageshack.us/a/img844/6391/roanakopf.jpg

Body:
http://imageshack.us/a/img690/192/inquisitorroana1750px.jpg

C&C greatly appreciated. And of course, I'll be happy to have your advice and opinion on what her force weapon should or could look like - I just can't come up with a design that fits this nice young lady. smile.png

• 2 months later...

Archived