How many Sevitors to autofix? Updated 19/Mar/13

Dark_Master

Hello,

I was reading my codex last night when I noticed something.

The base level of a sevitor unit is one, with the option of purchasing a further four, making five total.

That means that if your techmarine has a harness you can still have two gun servitors and automatically heal a vehicle (until casualties are taken).

Or have I read it wrong?

DM

I opened this thread thinking your opening line was going to be "does it take to screw in a lightbulb?" sweat.gif

... but regardless of how many Servitors you have, a roll of one will always fail.

You sure? The wording has changed.

Page 71 – Techmarines, Blessing of the Omnissiah.

Replace this entry with the following:

“Blessing of the Omnissiah: In each of your Shooting phases, instead of firing his weapons, a Techmarine may choose to repair a single friendly vehicle that he is in base contact with or embarked upon. To repair a vehicle, roll a D6 and add the following modifiers where applicable:

• Each servitor with a servo-arm in his unit +1 • The Techmarine has a servo-harness +1

If the result is 5 or more, you may restore a Hull Point lost earlier in the battle, or repair a Weapon Destroyed or Immobilised result suffered earlier in the battle; this is effective immediately.”

That's the space marine FAQ version, as I am at work.

DM

Anybody trying to play that as 1s still being a success would, IMO, be cheating. down.gif Plain and simple.

The rule may not specifically preclude 1s from being a success (i.e. note that they are still a failure), but nor does it override the "1s/6s are always failures" rule from the Rulebook.

Edit - I have to say that I'm disappointed at the number of quite frankly abusive/cheating suggestions I'm seeing in response to several of the questions popping up in the forums of late. I would have hoped for better.

Anybody trying to play that as 1s still being a success would, IMO, be cheating. down.gif Plain and simple.

The rule may not specifically preclude 1s from being a success (i.e. note that they are still a failure), but nor does it override the "1s/6s are always failures" rule from the Rulebook.

Edit - I have to say that I'm disappointed at the number of quite frankly abusive/cheating suggestions I'm seeing in response to several of the questions popping up in the forums of late. I would have hoped for better.

^^^ This.

Although abruptly put, I have to agree with MadDoc. If someone tried this against me, I can not imagine that I would play against that opponent again for quite a while. It will not be FAQ'd because it doesn't even need to be.

Also, as a matter of fact, the rulebooks wording on the '1s always fail' does not contradict what is written in our codex, but refers to it. The codex only trumps contradictions.

Dont be so quick to call people cheaters. Specially when your wrong.

After reading up on the auto-pass/fail rules in the brb. The only times a role of 1 is an auto-fail are rolling to hit, rolling to wound non vehicles, and dangerous terrain. Thats it. Characteristic test actually auto-pass on 1s. Since you dont roll to hit or roll on a characteristic. The auto-pass/fail rules dont apply to the repair roll. So if you have a techmarine with harness and 3 servitors with servo-arms (+4 to repair roll) a role of 1 would pass(as 1+4=5 and you need 5+ to successfully repair). Effectively letting you auto repair vehicles.

Dont be so quick to call people cheaters. Specially when your wrong.

After reading up on the auto-pass/fail rules in the brb. The only times a role of 1 is an auto-fail are rolling to hit, rolling to wound non vehicles, and dangerous terrain. Thats it. Characteristic test actually auto-pass on 1s. Since you dont roll to hit or roll on a characteristic. The auto-pass/fail rules dont apply to the repair roll. So if you have a techmarine with harness and 3 servitors with servo-arms (+4 to repair roll) a role of 1 would pass(as 1+4=5 and you need 5+ to successfully repair). Effectively letting you auto repair vehicles.

Well, that's most annoying. I must refresh myself with the 1's and 6's rules at once! I'm determined to find something to counter this abomination without needing an FAQ. ;)

Characteristic test actually auto-pass on 1s. Since you dont roll to hit or roll on a characteristic. The auto-pass/fail rules dont apply to the repair roll. So if you have a techmarine with harness and 3 servitors with servo-arms (+4 to repair roll) a role of 1 would pass(as 1+4=5 and you need 5+ to successfully repair). Effectively letting you auto repair vehicles.

Thank you! I spent quite a bit of time last night trying to find the 1 auto fail rule that related to this. Glad to know its legit, as I would never want to be accused of cheating.

Not sure if this applies to other chapters as we seem to be the only one that can have 5 servitors, with a limit of two gun servitors.

DM

I retract my objection. Cypherthefallenangel is correct, the 1s/6s only apply to characteristic tests. In hindsight, this makes perfect sense, or Lasguns would be able to harm Wraithlords. Silly me.

As it is, there is no way to argue against Techmarines getting an automatic pass result.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect a old thread, but the question got raised in the redemption thread, and didn't want to clutter that thread up.

I think cypherthefallenangel words it well

Thus for a auto save you need a harness and minimum of three servo-arm servitors.

Thoughts

DM

~sigh~   I don't know.  It seems like their intent would not be that succeeding without needing to roll the dice be possible here.  That'd be unusual enough that they should explicitly say so, if they're violating the general principle that runs through their entire game system.    And they do have verbiage stating that 1 is automatic failure in virtually every throw of the dice (save LD tests!) described in the BGB.  This repair job simply isn't specifically mentioned in the BGB...so I dunno.  By RAW, automatic success is in...but the thing is, RAW is no longer in...so I'm not allowing it...and I hope they FAQ it soon!

Yup I'm with march10k on this one.

1s are not automatic fail on characteristic rolls because they kinda always a success and 6s always a fail. (remember that you roll UNDER the characteristic but OVER an armour save or a reparation result).

To me, 1s and 6s are the alpha and omega of the roll : you always succeed/fail regarding the type of roll you make.

My two cents on the 1's/6's thing, it's not always an auto fail/pass...

For example, a las cannon shoots a rhino, 1's are glancing. Snake eyes on a charge simply means you best be within 2" of your target, not that they auto fail.

Q: How many Servitors does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: 1 million........1 to change the lightbulb and the remaining 999,999 to fend of the rules lawyers arguing that RAW don't allow servitors to change lightbulbs.....;)

could you argue codex trumps brb here?

That would be my thought, however I think it requires another FAQ.

DM

My thought would be that someone needs to spend some time on the wrong side of Asmodai's Blades of Reason until they finaly see it.

There is no such thing as auto-repair.

There will never be such a thing either.

Get over it. And enjoy the game for what it is.

Man I can't believe this argument is back again. It a simple as this roll + modifiers >/= 5 is a successful repair. there is no auto pass or auto fail. It is simply that. it doesn't matter if people like it or not. It is what it is. hell I think gets hot is a stupid rule but im not gonna cheat or ignore it because I dont like it. This isn't even a big deal. If my opponent wants to spend 105+ pts to repair 1 hull point or 1 dmg result per turn. fine they can repair vehicals with reliability. so what. Thats a 100pts not shooting at me.

I agree with the auto repair, same thing happened in fantasy with wound rolls and it was FAQ by GW that autowounding was possible.  So looking at calls they did in the past, if it does not say directly that 1's fail, then you can force a success by having enough servitors.  As cypherthefallenangel said its not really that good to begin with just nice sometimes if your running vehicle heavy which right now is not our best strategy anyhow(from looking at tournament results).

Archived