Question of Dreadnoughts vs Sternguards in a shooty army

Azamodos

Which of these choices would be more flexible in a shooty army. I intend to use these units as a support role to my tactical marines or other elements of my force.

I would think dreadnoughts would have more flexibility weapon wise, but I think they would be bullet sponges and be knocked off faster than a sternguard unit might be. True?

Dreads are good at supporting other units, especially Tacs. The question is perhaps more a case of how much armour you have in your list? If you're light on armour then the Sternguard are probably a better idea. My preference would be for a Dreadnought as he can operate as a durable combat unit to deliver S10 at I4 which really helps Tacs out, or if you're sitting back then a dual gun Dread can do the same smile.png

Not to say Sterns are bad of course as they're far from it but I prefer my supporting units to be a different type if possible so they can better work together.

It depends. What's the rest of your army like?

Dual twinlinked autocannon dreads (the only dreads that are worth anything in a vanilla army) are long range campers. They're awesome and having a couple in cover or behind an aegis defense line is not a bad idea by any means. 

On the other hand, Sternguard are a short-range unit that can also hold their own in assault. They CAN be equipped with two heavy weapons so they can provide long-range support, but that way you waste their bonus attacks and awesome special ammo. Pedro also makes them scoring. Cheap combiweapons enable you to equip them for whatever role you like. 

So, it all depends on what you need in your list. Both units have their places and can't really be compared on a one to one basis like, say, dreads vs predators, or dreads vs devastators. 

I intend to fill my heavy support with 3 vindicators to mop up the serious heavies that I might face. 

And on dreads I get rifleman dreads are great for popping light armor, but what about plasma/dccw/heavy flamer? Shouldn't they be good for the role of supporting a tact. marine better due to their dccw and 2 templates?

Archived