Azrael + Crusader Sqd Bodyguard

L30n1d4s

Azrael is one of the best Chapter Masters out there, IMHO. Fairly decent in Combat (AA, 4++ save, MCed Relic Blade, Combi-Plasma, 5 attacks base for CCW and BP), for a reasonable price he also provides army wide buffs (DW Termies and RAS are Troops, Rites of Battle for Ld 10 throughout the entire army) and gives unique, very measurable enhancements to the squad he is attached to (Lions Helm for 4++ across the Squad, plus Inner Circle for Fearless and PE: CSM for that Squad as well). On top of that, he can choose his WL trait, so you can have enhanced Reserve Rolls, Better Ld rolls, FNP for his squad if near an Objective, etc.

All of these options make him great for running with different DA units or even allies (IG Blob Squad, SM Honor Guard both come to mind). Another option that would be very potent is taking an allied BT detachment and attaching him to a footslogging Crusader Squad:

-For 285 points, you get 8 Initiates with BP/CCW, 10 Neophytes with BP/CCW, one Initiate with a Meltagun, and one Initiate with PF/BP (who is not a character, so can't be challenged out)

-Attaching Azrael makes the squad Fearless, gives everyone a 4++, and provides the entire unit with Furious Charge, if you select that WL Trait.

-For another 190 points you can take a Marshal with PF, SS, Artificer Armor, Terminator Honors (for 4 attacks base), and Adamantium Mantle (no ID) and attach him to the squad. Now you have a choice between Azrael and the Marshal for challenges... if you are fighting someone with a 3+ save, then go Azrael, since his Sword will slice and dice that champion. If you are up against a 2+ save Champion (or someone with an ID weapon), then you can use the Marshal, with his 2+/3++, Power Fist, and immunity to ID to take the challenge.

All together, this combo only runs you 690 points (leaving you 1310 points in a 2000 point game to flesh out your army), is highly survivable, Fearless, is scoring, and on the charge generates 56 S5 AP- attacks, 6 S7 AP3 Initiative 5 attacks, and 7 S9 AP2 (Unwieldy) attacks... very few armies can ignore this unit, it takes a great deal of firepower to deal with, and very few units can deal with it in close combat.

hmmmmm....... me likes.... thinking about Blood Claws......yes.gif

Alas, I believe we are not Battle Brothers with the Space Wolves. Could be wrong, can't locate my rulebook. If I'm right, no joining Space Wolves units.

Shame... Imagine Azrael and Logan Grimnar running into battle side by side! *drools*

I am afraid Space Wolves don't work, as they are only Allies of Convenience (that whole Lionel Johnson/Leman Russ rivalry thing ;) ).

Also, Ezekiel's Book of Salvation only grants +1 WS to DA units, meaning that the BT squad would not benefit from it.

Archived