Mortis Dread = Hawt Sauce?

minionboy

So I was chatting with my Dark Angels playing friend, and we noticed something gross... In the Imperial Armor 6th edition vehicle rules update, they gave the Mortis Dreadnought the Interceptor/Skyfire rules that the Contemptor Mortis also has.

Check it out for yourself

Mortis Rules:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/s/Smupdate.pdf

6th ed update:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/v/vehicle6thupdates.pdf

So all that adds up to 125 points for a skyfire/interceptor rifleman dread!

That's fairly well known around here and lists often included them before the new codex dropped. Many of us were hoping the Mortis with at least sky fire would make it into the codex. No luck.

That's fairly well known around here and lists often included them before the new codex dropped. Many of us were hoping the Mortis with at least sky fire would make it into the codex. No luck.

Ah, didn't know that, still pretty awesome though!

Combine with a pair of Khres AC and it can deal with anything.

I think you're thinking of the Contemptor Mortis, I'm talking about the good ol' fashioned regular Mortis.

Ah, didn't know that, still pretty awesome though!

Can't argue with that.

FW rules are meant to be used without problems with GW codices.

The only thong is that you have to inform your opponent that you are using FW manuals. It is a good thing to show the opponent the manual itself so he can see the entry.

Mortis dread is a good choice for a DA army and it is DA only.

I use it because we still don't have good AA. Unfortunately, the nephilim is too inefficient and too expensive to be used as for AA.

Agreed. I'm actually contemplating getting a Contemptor Mortis because for the same points of a Jetfighter I can have 2 Heavy 6 assault cannons on that dude. jawdrop.gif

I use it because we still don't have good AA. Unfortunately, the nephilim is too inefficient and too expensive to be used as for AA.

Agreed. I'm actually contemplating getting a Contemptor Mortis because for the same points of a Jetfighter I can have 2 Heavy 6 assault cannons on that dude. jawdrop.gif

I want one simply because it looks awesome.....the fact that the Comptemptor Mortis rocks on the table is just an added bonus :)

i've been thinking about this guy, but can't decide if i should take him... what do you guys thing is better:

devastator squad (x3 missle launchers w/ flakk, one lascannon)-165pts

-or-

mortis dreadnaught (x2 missile launchers)-105pts

whirlwhind-65pts

Well whirlwinds are great against blob armies, but for me personally I don't field them that often against MeQ lists. For those I run dual autocannon mortis, for 125 points. It's a steal getting 4 S7AP4 shots that are twin linked and have skyfire.

I just want to reiterate what others have already implied. Make sure you get your opponents permission to use things from IA. If both players use them it balances out fine, but in my personal opinion there are alot of VERY undercosted options that more or less invalidate options in your codex (they do that alot with their version of "internal balance" anyway, but thats not the point). Most tournaments do not allow for IA, though some do.  If your playing against someone using just a normal codex it is kinda cheesy to take these things. It would be best if your gaming group in general just decided if they were in or not so people can start building accordingly.  My group only uses IA or Forgeworld models in Apocalypse (gives us more reasons to play it).

I often use a twin lascannon mortis... and even if not cheap (155 pts) it's really amazing. If you have only one flyer you can be sure that it will die immediately when enter from the reserve. The mortis it's even small (like all dreads) so it's very simple to give him cover

I use both the twin-linked lascannon mortis and the contemptor mortis with kheres and cyclone. Flyers haven't really taken off where I play so I can't comment on their AA uses but the lascannon mortis makes a reliable tank hunter who can, as Jack said, find cover easily. The contemptor mortis tends to shred anything it fires at and it's a great looking model.

I've never seen the appeal of missile launchers on dreadnoughts; 105 points feels like a lot to pay for 2 missile launcher shots and nothing else.

It's in one of the updates Forgeworld did, then took off their site. It stated that if a Mortis Dread didn't move in the movement phase it got Skyfire and Interceptor. It is also in the 2nd link of the OP. :)

I just want to reiterate what others have already implied. Make sure you get your opponents permission to use things from IA. If both players use them it balances out fine, but in my personal opinion there are alot of VERY undercosted options that more or less invalidate options in your codex (they do that alot with their version of "internal balance" anyway, but thats not the point). Most tournaments do not allow for IA, though some do.  If your playing against someone using just a normal codex it is kinda cheesy to take these things. It would be best if your gaming group in general just decided if they were in or not so people can start building accordingly.  My group only uses IA or Forgeworld models in Apocalypse (gives us more reasons to play it).

So your saying that taking  one or two Gunfighter Dreads as AA to use against a player with two or three flyers is cheesy because the flyers are in a codex.

Sorry to necro this thread, but I have to ask...

is the FW dread only for the last codex, or for this one too? I have some arse-hats on Dakka-Dakka saying that it isn't allowed because of last edition rules/last codex...

(I really have to delete my account there)

Archived