Mortis Dread = Hawt Sauce?

minionboy

You can use the Mortis with the current DA Dex. If this is the thread you're talking about. I believe the confusion arose from them thinking you were taking a regular DA dread and it gaining skyfire/interceptor, not the FW variant.

Yeah, its a bit ridiculous how afraid some people are of FW items. Though some of them are really good *cough* Elysian Drop Troopers *cough*. But as long as your opponent doesn't care, it doesn't matter. In fact there are some tournaments pushing towards the legalization of FW items in their tournaments. So hopefully it won't be as "taboo" to take FW stuff. 

My Last order from FW was.

Autocannon arms for my dread (i field it as normal dread or mortis dread), DA etched sheet, DW shoulder pads (for my DW command squad) and a copy of IA:A.I will use the mortis and a friend of mine who has BA will use WW hyperios.

We will have fun in our 2k points battle.

They should probably be directed to the Forge World 6th Edition Vehicles update pdf on the FW website, which clearly states

Presented here is a brief set of conversion guidelines intended to allow you to quickly put your Forge World models to use in games of sixth edition Warhammer 40,000

The Mortis Dread is in the pdf. So I would say its fine to use in 6th Ed. The codex is irrelevant as no FW models are contained in codexes. Some people look at Forge world as if it can give them a funny disease though ;)

They should probably be directed to the Forge World 6th Edition Vehicles update pdf on the FW website, which clearly states

Presented here is a brief set of conversion guidelines intended to allow you to quickly put your Forge World models to use in games of sixth edition Warhammer 40,000

The Mortis Dread is in the pdf. So I would say its fine to use in 6th Ed. The codex is irrelevant as no FW models are contained in codexes. Some people look at Forge world as if it can give them a funny disease though ;)

Is "funny" a disease now? crap ;)

BTW: my mortis dreads are metal; anyone says they can't be used gets dreadsocked in the throat ;)

S

FW units for the most part tend to be very very pretty with decent rules but way overcosted. They are for the hobbiest and the theme player.

There are always units that buck the trend and are well priced for what they do. The mortis dread is one of them. for 5 points more than a regular autocannon dread in our codex, we get skyfire and intercept if it doesn't move. that's a pretty damn good deal. until the 6th edition updates came out, the contemptor morits was overcosted. Now its probably about right (its still 215 points with the toys).

Other units you'll see moaned about;
- lucius pattern drop pods. they are awesome, but they're pricy, you lose a fast attack slot and you risk immobilising yourself when charging out of them.
- land raider achilles. it's nigh on un killable by regular means. you need massed lascannons or haywire type effects. but its over 300 points, is only packing a whirlwind and 2 multi meltas and has a transport capacity of 5. blech.
- sabre weapons platforms. about because they neuter flyer spam lists. oh well.

For every decent (rules and costwise) FW unit, there are 3 bad ones. Yes, you allow them in tournaments and you'll see the same models over and over. At least it will add a bit more variety to the daemon flamer/screamer, necron barge/scythe and coteaz razorback spamming.

The models are intended for use in games of 40k. For friendly games (i.e. not tournament), show the book to your opponent, if they refuse to play you, its their loss. FW adds to the hobby. For tournaments, all calls are down to the TO, as always.

The models are intended for use in games of 40k. For friendly games (i.e. not tournament), show the book to your opponent, if they refuse to play you, its their loss. FW adds to the hobby. For tournaments, all calls are down to the TO, as always.

Though it says this on FW's end, I feel it would be soooo much easier if GW more or less say that in their own rules. Put it right there in the rulebook. Last time I tried to use the Mortis, my friend, yes friend, laughed and simply said no - he's not worth arguing with. He still has it in his mind that FW rules are experimental. Yes, I showed him the FW disclaimer and even pointed out that GW OWNS FW to no avail.

I just don't bother asking any of my other friends, though one or two might be fine with it (though I bet one of them specifically would probably be fine before and during but bitch afterwards if the thing actually did well).

Well, my old Imperial Armoure Volume 2 book outright states that your opponent has no word about whether or not you can use it, with the notable exception of flyers and super-heavies (back when anti-air was FW-only). Reasoning: why would your opponent be able to dictate what you can or cannot bring to the battlefield? Its not like we can say that they cannot field that Avatar of Khaine when it is awoken in only the most dire circumstances and each craftworld having only one.

Also, FW books are heavy and hardcover, there's probably a reason for that. For one, it makes them hit a bit harder.

Archived