Cheap'ish' flame drop

John_f

So I had an old drop pod that didn't see much use but when reading the codex i came up with the idea of a cheap flame blast deleivery system.

Assault squad, two flamers

Free drop pod, deathwind launcher

110p

What do you think? Could it make its points value back? Think pathfinders and similar units..

I have a fundimental problem with cheap units thst are bit troops...

It is the same issue I have with whirlwinds (which I see as similar AOE bang for your buck to this setup)... If I could squad them for 1-3 then I could definaty see a use for them and benefit from the low point cost, however the way most marine dexes are, troops are so vanilla that you need every ounce of speciality from FA, Elites, and HS that FOC becomes a big factor.

The other downside is while this might seem viable in small games where you are not at risk of filling the FOC slots, your 2 required troops will take up such a large % of your army points that you will not be in need of more anti-infantry (as the troops rapid fire weapons give a good baseline coverage already)

Don't forget the combi-flamer for that unit. I absolutely love the 3-flamer assault squad for taking a huge chunk out of a guard blob or loota squad behind a defense line.

I have a fundimental problem with cheap units thst are bit troops...

It is the same issue I have with whirlwinds (which I see as similar AOE bang for your buck to this setup)... If I could squad them for 1-3 then I could definaty see a use for them and benefit from the low point cost, however the way most marine dexes are, troops are so vanilla that you need every ounce of speciality from FA, Elites, and HS that FOC becomes a big factor.

The other downside is while this might seem viable in small games where you are not at risk of filling the FOC slots, your 2 required troops will take up such a large % of your army points that you will not be in need of more anti-infantry (as the troops rapid fire weapons give a good baseline coverage already)

I usually run my bikes as troops (Azrael or Sammael) so in most games I dont have a fast attack choise in my primary. But yeah, I see your point. Also good point on the combi-flamer! Forgot that one!

Archived