Jumping out of a burning aeroplane...

Seahawk

Does the flyer have to have finished its move to make use of it zooming disembarkment special rule?

I would say yes, since it does say: "has moved", "nominate any point over which [the flyer] moved over"

What happens when moving a locked velocity (36") flyer would result in placing it on top of other models?

you've got two conflicting rules:

"the Flyer cannot end its move with its base within 1" of other enemy models"

and that it's speed is locked at 36".

I can't find any precedent for any of the results:

flyer destroyed

move less

move more

move enemy models out of the way

Also, I can't find any statement that says that a flyer locked at 18" has to move less than 18" if it would otherwise end up on top of other models. Where do we get this from? Its something I've assumed to be true ever since the rulebook was released.

I would say that rules for Transport Flyers are more advanced than Transports, in which case one would follow Crash and Burn before Wrecked (Transport) when it comes to regular Flyer Transports.

The question is, for these special Flyer Transports, what happens first to the passengers?:

Crash and Burn, or

the fact that Passengers may still disembark?

One could argue that all the requirements for this special type of deployment has been met: has not the flyer moved more than 6"? Oh really, isn't this distance 36"?

One could also argue that one first needs to resolve the case of what happens to a flyer if there are models at the 18" or 36" point, so that it can't be placed normally. If it is wrecked, then it can easily be argued that the vehicle did not in fact finish its move, and therefore the results of Crash and Burn would happen before fulfilling the criteria of the flyer "has moved more than 6"". As in Seahawk's comment about finishing a move: flyer is moving, its moving, it crashes, it has crashed when making a move of 36". Now the passengers can disembark, assuming they were in a flyer, and not just got killed by S10 hits.

you've got two conflicting rules:

"the Flyer cannot end its move with its base within 1" of other enemy models"

and that it's speed is locked at 36".

This is the core faulty assumption of this whole debate. That a Cruising speed, Locked Velocity Flyer must move 36". Nowhere in the rulebook is this a rule (unlike the 1" rule). This requirement comes from the FAQ and as such represents GW's "house rules". Now I think I understand why GW would decide that forcing a LV Flyer to move 36" is a good idea - Locked Velocity is supposed to be a penalty and allowing the player to move anywhere from 18.001" to 36" really doesn't matter for most Flyers when that's the speed people would be moving anyway. So they instituted a limitation on the player controlling how far to move it. The problem is that they didn't consider that situation where a LV Flyer would end up making an illegal move.

The simplest solution would be to ignore GW's "house rule" if it would cause you to break a Rule As Written. Alternatively (and more in keeping with The Most Important Rule, Common Sense, and the Spirit of the GW FAQ) is to involuntarily reduce the involuntary 36" Locked Velocity move by just enough to not break any other written movement rules.

Then you have no need to start making up rules about Flyer Crashing and Burning, passengers Disembarking, or anything else.

(Alternatively, you could house rule that a Locked Velocity Flyer that is forced to make an illegal move is removed to Ongoing Reserves, on the premise that the Flyer "pulled up" into an emergency climb to avoid low-level obstacles and is now at too high an altitude to affect the play area.)

Lets not forget, that unless also stunned, a locked veloitcy flyer can choose the diection of their movement, prior to moving.

Couple this with premeasuring, and getting into a situation where there's no possible move that doesn't bring up this contradiction is going to be very, very unlikely.

Archived