First Apocalypse for my 6th Ed Dark Angels

Azrael Turnbull

So, I've been invited to participate in an Apocalypse game where I will be allied with two Guard players vs a pure trio Chaos. 1.5K per player.

I know what one of my allies are planning with their list; they're going to run a fully mobile Guard list with Chimera and veteran's. I was thinking of backing him up with a Ravenwing army list sporting a small splash of Deep Striking Deathwing Knights.

It's always worth asking the opinion of the fellow Inner Circle members in case I have missed something crucial. So, what do you guys think? Is there anything else I should consider before committing to a full frontal assault against the ancient foe with this kind of list, or do I have the right approach in mind? Should I consider playing a long range support role instead, leaving the Guard player to worry about 'No Man's Land'? An unusual role reversal, I know, but one to consider.

No matter what you do, remember to pick one enemy unit at random and focusing all your efforts in getting your HQ into melee with it. Also, pack up and leave when you're done. Let them sort out the rest of the mess.

If I could 'Like' this, I would 'Like' it twice. ;)

Well, units with Inner Circle get Preferred Enemy (CSM), and DWK weapons have Bane of the Traitor, so a Deathwing army gets a free buff when fighting against Chaos. I'd either go Dualwing or pure DW.

Oh and +1 on the Like :)

Well, units with Inner Circle get Preferred Enemy (CSM), and DWK weapons have Bane of the Traitor, so a Deathwing army gets a free buff when fighting against Chaos. I'd either go Dualwing or pure DW.

Oh and +1 on the Like smile.png

This is valid. A Deep Striking Terminator list could provide just as good a supporting role for the advancing Guard as the Ravenwing. Taking 100% Inner Circle units seems mean, but tempting. I can imagine being the target of all three Chaos players, but this will allow my allies to go crazy and not have to worry too much about return fire. Perhaps I should utilise the Standard of Fortitude over the Deathwing Standard for this deployment.

Are data sheets allowed? Because the Deathwing Redemption Force is kind of good. Pick an enemy HQ at random, but don't tell your allies because if you do the Redemption force will be immediately removed from play teehee.gif, that HQ is a Fallen. You must capture him. If the target is killed during the game, place a marker where he died. That marker is now a Vital Objective and only the Redemption Force can claim it :D. What's also awesome is they arrive from Deep Strike using Deathwing Assault, though this was written for last DWA but I'm sure it'll be cool to use the current generation DWA. The Master gets to Deep Strike like normal and then the rest of the squads Deep Strike within 6" of the master, and they don't scatter.

I hope data sheets are allowed, because I want to see how this works with the new rules pinch.gif. Though 1500 per person for Apoc seems low to me, we always played around 4k per person. But those game lasted all damn day whistlingW.gif

Are data sheets allowed? Because the Deathwing Redemption Force is kind of good. Pick an enemy HQ at random, but don't tell your allies because if you do the Redemption force will be immediately removed from play teehee.gif, that HQ is a Fallen. You must capture him. If the target is killed during the game, place a marker where he died. That marker is now a Vital Objective and only the Redemption Force can claim it biggrin.png. What's also awesome is they arrive from Deep Strike using Deathwing Assault, though this was written for last DWA but I'm sure it'll be cool to use the current generation DWA. The Master gets to Deep Strike like normal and then the rest of the squads Deep Strike within 6" of the master, and they don't scatter.

I hope data sheets are allowed, because I want to see how this works with the new rules pinch.gif. Though 1500 per person for Apoc seems low to me, we always played around 4k per person. But those game lasted all damn day whistlingW.gif

If I field a Deathwing list, I will definitely do this. We tuned down the points cost as our last Apocalypse (20K per side) took all weekend and we only got three turns finished. :)

This is more of a 3v3, but applying Apocalypse rules due to being over 3K. Only one asset per team, though.

With regards to the Redemption Force, I think you can now use the DWA rule from our 6E codex instead. And with Belial's tactical precision rule (and as the HQ for the formation), you shouldn't need to roll for scatter.

I'd say field the Deathwing and capture that Fallen. Let the IGs deal with the rest.

With regards to the Redemption Force, I think you can now use the DWA rule from our 6E codex instead. And with Belial's tactical precision rule (and as the HQ for the formation), you shouldn't need to roll for scatter. I'd say field the Deathwing and capture that Fallen. Let the IGs deal with the rest.

The only issue I see is that a Deathwing Command Squad can't be part of the Redemption Force. Perhaps put Belial with the command squad so they can drop accurately into position on the same turn to protect the RF with the Standard of Fortitude?

Deathwing knights are naked for their first turn on the field, so you might want to be careful. T5 will help against a lot but not High Strength. If you are playing as one force, the Redemption squad might be awesome. Be sure to pick an HQ you can easily take.

At 1500pts per side this will be a small DW force, are they bringing any titans or anything you may have problems dealing with?

Paul

Baneblade's will be the largest threat to worry about, unless my friends have done some secret shopping. Staying out of the Baneblade's line of sight will not be an issue, but I doubt it will be showing up in a 4.5k game.

Although Deathwing Knights are exposed on their first turn, I normally send them in first with Belial. They're the most likely Terminator unit to survive the first turn. Then the other units drop in and Belial walks into his command squad whilst the remaining Deathwing Knights initiate close combat.

I'd second, third, fourth or whatever the Redemption Force idea. At 1,500 points you could make this your entire list if you fancied it, as it's 3+ squads with no upper limit wink.png . Contrary to what's been written upthread, the target IC for the Redemption Force is selected, not chosen at random - you just have to keep it to yourself until you've completed the kill.

If you're wondering how best to synergise with your Guard allies, I can only suggest firstly that you talk to them!

Archived