Fortifications...

Brother Landrain

So I was sitting here thinking about making an army list, and an Aegis is such a common addon for so many reasons...

But I was just thinking, if we take a Bastion or the Fortress of Redemption... If the command squad is Inside, how does the Banner work?

Since it is units within six inches... does the AOE spread from 6" from the edge of the building?

If we use a fortress, and place the command squad inside the middle section, would it not make essentially the entire fortress able to use the Banners effects?

The FoR has been rediculed for being the cost of a Landraider... but if you can put 4 tactical squads on it all with salvo 2/4 thats a massively powerfull firebase that has a huge threat radius, and is very resilient to attacks and assaults...

Thoughts and Opinions? 

Combined with a Darkshroud that is hiding behind the fortress giving the area a 3+ cover save due to stealth? or fill it with scouts and cammo cloaks? 

Just thinking out loud here...

6" from edge MAY work for the Bastion, if the command squad's in the middle of it. But everything with the FoR is a battlement, right? The models are all there, physically (unlike a transport obviously), so you actually have a reference to draw 6" from.

6" from edge MAY work for the Bastion, if the command squad's in the middle of it. But everything with the FoR is a battlement, right? The models are all there, physically (unlike a transport obviously), so you actually have a reference to draw 6" from.

Actually no...

The FoR is 3 or 4 buildings connected together. models can be 'embarked' or inside.

Each section has a battlement, which is completely seperate.

Each section also has fire points to shoot from.

Unfortunately, I dont have my BGB with me as I am travelling so don't know the specific rules of the top of my head, as no one really used buildings before...only the aegis gun lines.

But a Banner in abuilding giving an AOE from building edge, with fire points... AV 14... and cannot be glanced to death... thats Survivability with all CAPS...

I am seeing lots of possibilities...

DV Mini-rulebook, p.95:

Battlements: A building with battlements is a multiple part building (see page 92) - essentially, one unit can go inside the building, and a different unit can be 'on top' of it (and so do not need to be taken off the board).

The Bastion is a medium building (transport capacity 20 models), with battlements (as many as can fit).

So we can have one squad on the battlements, and another squad inside.

And if the squad is inside the building, I'd assume the same rules apply as for the standard inside a vehicle.

But everything with the FoR is a battlement

The bunker annexes are small buildings (transport capacity, 10 models each), the walkway connecting it to the main tower is a small building (another 10 models can go inside), the main tower is a medium building (20 models can go inside), plus it has battlements (whatever fits).

So our Fortress of Redemption has a total combined transport capacity of 50 models, plus whatever fits on the battlements.

Which makes me wonder what would optimise a Sacred Standard mode, putting it inside the walkway connecting the bunker annexes (see page 97 for how the FoR is divided into parts), or the main tower.

From what I can see, though, only the walkway section has fire points for models inside, so if we put the standard in the main tower, would a unit occupying the walkway building (not battlements) benefit from the standard or not?

If not, then the walkway would probably be the best part for the standard to occupy, although models ontop of the main tower might not be in range.

Although if used like that, I'd only buy the standard as upgrade for the command squad, and nothing else since they'll be cowering inside.

Which makes me wonder what would optimise a Sacred Standard mode, putting it inside the walkway connecting the bunker annexes (see page 97 for how the FoR is divided into parts), or the main tower.

From what I can see, though, only the walkway section has fire points for models inside, so if we put the standard in the main tower, would a unit occupying the walkway building (not battlements) benefit from the standard or not?

If not, then the walkway would probably be the best part for the standard to occupy, although models ontop of the main tower might not be in range.

Although if used like that, I'd only buy the standard as upgrade for the command squad, and nothing else since they'll be cowering inside.

Using the Ork KFF concept...

It would extend 6" from the edges of the walkway area. encompassing all of the inside of the two bunkers, as if they were vehicles, as well as the inside of the tower.

Everything within 6" of the edge of the walkway on the battlements would be inside the bubble also, which is probably 90% of the bunker top, but as it is units only one model need be within range...

So the entire lower level and battlements will be affected...

That can be 6 different squads, al with a 3+ or 0+ coversave (inside buildings cannot be shot or assaulted) {add a darkshroud hiding behind the tower for +1 cover from stealth...}

Squads inside bunkers and walkway have firepoints (2) can shoot from each firepoint. (dont have count or facings atm)

The very top of the tower, I am thinking... 6 or 7 man Devs with 4x ML with Flakk... maybe a tech for the 4++ bubble.

The only downside is it is not mobile, but depending upon deployment style you should be able to place it in a position to dominate a good 48+" Bubble of the table... 

I think it deserves playtesting...

There is some concern that some TO's may be banning the Fortress, but same concepts apply for Bastions...

The top of the tower would not be affected  As the big angel walls are 9" tall and start at the top of the walkway...

• 3 weeks later...

If you're gonna do it though I'd probably go for the following.

Master, Terminator Armour, Mace of Redemption. 160

Techmarine PFG 80

Command squad, SoD 165

Tactical (10) 140

Tactical (9) 126

Devastator (10) 4 lascannons 220

FoR krak storm launchers 250

RAS (6) ABMM 216

RAS (6) ABMM 216

RAS (6) 2MG 181

DWK 235

Total 1989

Put the 9 man squad and techmarine in the middle.

The 10 man on the balcony. The command squad in of the bunkers.

Maximum effect whilst allowing them to shoot.

Devastator squad split in half lascannons on the top the sarge and others at the Icarus to use BS5

Commander and DWK deep strike into the midst an bikes move to the flanks.

Only problem you might not get much use of the tower.

Archived