Altar of War - Dark Angels

facmanpob

So, having taken the plunge last month and purchasing the digital codex rather than the hardcopy, I noticed in and amongst the Warriors of Chaos releases at the weekend, that GW sneaked through 2 40K digital releases: 'Altar of War' minibooks for Dark Angels and Chaos Space Marines. So, I took the plunge and bought the DA one.

I only bought it late last night, so have really only had a chance to take a quick look through, but I quite liked it! 6 new missions, which can be used instead of the Eternal War missions in the rulebook, so long as the player winning the dice-off has a Dark Angels Primary Detachment. There's alternative deployment options and special rules galore for hunting the Fallen etc. So, overall looks good. In addition, with me and a friend in the early stages of planning a DA vs Chaos linked-scenario campaign (once he's moved house and we've both finished painting up our terrain), this (and the Chaos book) should essentially provide us with all of the extra fluffy scenarios we need.

Has anyone else purchased this, or any of the other Alta of War releases? If so, what do you think?

And finally, although I don't want this thread to be about DWA ...... several of the special rules specifically refer to DWA and reserves, using phrases like "in this scenario you may disregard the 50% reserves rule for your Deathwing Assault" ...... so pending an actual FAQ entry, it does look like DWA is still bound by the 50% rule in normal Eternal War missions.

Cheers for the heads-up! You owe me 6€ now. biggrin.png

Seriously speaking, based on quick skimming it looks good. I'm sure I will be forcing our gaming group to regularly play the "Hunt the Fallen" scenario. I like the fact that the said scenario can be used in addition to "Eternal War" scenarios.

@Terrahawk - sorry if I caused you to part with hard earned cash! ;)

I'd be pretty disappointed if Hunt the Fallen missions could only be used by people who own an iPad...

Clearly its the best means of tracking them in the 41st millenium! :)

I know what you mean though.....maybe they'll release a compendium of Altars of War in hardcopy sometime?

I'd give you an exact example but the missus has got the iPad at the moment, so here goes from memory:

1 of the missions has the Greenwing attacking an enemy held area. The DA commander has "Chapter Assets" in reserve to call upon later in the battle (Deathwing, Ravenwing and The Rock), all of which are available from turn 1. The DA player gains 1VP for every Chapter Asset he DOESN'T use.

So, for example, if you have a combined Greenwing/Deathwing army, your DW has to go in reserve, and becomes available for DWA whenever you feel like it. But if you decide not to bring them on at all, you gain a VP. In this example, you don't have any RW elements, so would automatically gain the extra VP for not bringing them on.

This is an interesting idea, because if, say, you only had 1 DW unit in your list, you could make an assessment as the battle progressed on whether or not you thought you could win the game without that unit, and leave it in reserve, gaining an extra VP......i.e. rewarding greater Generalship!

Out of interest, and to forestall questions, "The Rock" is an Ordnance D3, Large Blast, Barrage type doom blast from orbit......can't remember the exact profile.

Another mission is called "Attack Without Warning" and has the enemy set up on the table, and all DA elements starting in reserve. DW and flyers come on turn 1, RW turn 2, Greenwing turn 3. The auto lose without models on the table rule is ignored until turn 4. All units in this scenario can assault after arriving from reserve, regardless of whether they DS, Outflank or disembark from a transpoprt vehicle. In addition all DA units have Shrouded rule on turn 1 and Stealth on turn 2, to simulate them attacking an unsuspecting enemy.

In summary, I think that the missions are fun, and different enough from the standard Eternal War missions to be of interest. smile.png

Thanks facmanpob!

As for the limitation... They could have published them in WD : 3 in January, 3 in February... At least, WD had deserved the name of "hobby supply" in this case...

I miss the WD I knew when I started playing, the capter approved articles, the additionnal missions... Now I just have a serie of photos and a list of products...

I know what you mean though.....maybe they'll release a compendium of Altars of War in hardcopy sometime?

Seems likely, but probably not for aaaaaaaaaaaaa~~ges.  There's that supposed flyers book coming out this year, right? Can imagine these getting a similar treatment.

Yeah, I share everyone's pain, with the exception that my wife owns an iPad so I can actually get my hands on this stuff. Seriously though, she has it for work (she's a musician so the iPad is a really good way of keeping lots of sheet music with you without having to cart around bags and bags of the stuff). If she hadn't bought it for work though, we wouldn't own one and I'd be banging my fist on the table about why they couldn't just publish it in WD or even make it an ebook download from their website, with the same procedures that The Black Library website uses. After all, its a set of missions, there is no reason to put big pictures or bling in the publication!

Ugh, I guess this means I have to find my iPad 1, and charge it, just to check this out. Sounds interesting but I'm going to echo everyone else, how hard is it to make this an PDF/epub like all your Black Library books GW?

Archived