Dark Apotheosis done right in WHFB?

Nehekhare

Looking over the new Warriors of Chaos army book, I could't help but mention the striking differences between the fantasy and 40k versions of the ultimate boon table result.

from the eye of the gods table, daemonhood:

- Daemon Prince model is placed within 6" of the Chaos Champion (not 3" like in 40k, which is nigh impossible with a 60mm base in a melee, where this is most likely to happen!)

- if the champion doesn't have a mark, he immdiately gains one, player's choice (no MoK for wizards)

- Daemon prince will retain "any equipment, Chaos Mutations and Powers, magic items and any other rewards from this table gained during its former existence"

- If he was a Wizard, he "retains his Wizard Level and knows the same spells the Chaos Champion did before turning into a Daemon Prince"

so what kept Kelly from doing it right?

I dunno, I like the fact its a leadership test too, so its not just that you rolled the result. Tbf, codex csm feels like it was very rushed, and phill Kelly seems to be happier writing xenos than marines (sw aside.)

He wrote Warriors of Chaos 7th edition and Beastmen 7th edition, both of them are absolutely awesome. So he does know how to write good Chaos, he just didn't wanted or decisions were made on marketing level rather than rules design level. BTW, new Warriors prove it, all the units who were really good in previous edition are now inferior to other units, up to completely useless. We already know what to expect from Daemons.

@ aekhold helbrass, its debatable if the 7th fantasy beastman army book is any good, there isn't a single cost effective rare choice in the book, and special comes down to minotaurs or horde of bestigor. As much as I enjoy playing with that army, its not a very well written book. Woc 7th ed? I actually preferred the previous hordes of chaos, as opposed to the dual warshrine/chosenstar with marauder gw hordes.

You say that, but tbh, lots of the new stuff for woc isn't great, and the bait and switch on skullcrushers leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

I guess the thing is, when we heard Kelly was doing csm, we hoped for something like dark eldar, or his previous tyranid codex, what we got was gavdex mark 2, swapping lashprinces for heldrakes.....

I guess the thing is, when we heard Kelly was doing csm, we hoped for something like dark eldar, or his previous tyranid codex, what we got was gavdex mark 2, swapping lashprinces for heldrakes.....  

Oh so true.

Looking over the new Warriors of Chaos army book, I could't help but mention the striking differences between the fantasy and 40k versions of the ultimate boon table result.

- Daemon Prince model is placed within 6" of the Chaos Champion (not 3" like in 40k, which is nigh impossible with a 60mm base in a melee, where this is most likely to happen!)

- if the champion doesn't have a mark, he immdiately gains one, player's choice (no MoK for wizards)

- Daemon prince will retain "any equipment, Chaos Mutations and Powers, magic items and any other rewards from this table gained during its former existence"

- If he was a Wizard, he "retains his Wizard Level and knows the same spells the Chaos Champion did before turning into a Daemon Prince"

Consider that the model is also removed as a casualty meaning that your 400points character just gave up all of his points (which is bad since in WHFB you win by not giving up points).

I'd still prefer having the WHFB system to our system but at least they don't get to keep their gear without having  a very big downside as well.

If Daemon Princes kept their gear, then Dark Apotheosis would be incredibly awesome.

However, then everyone would be building their own Daemon Princes so that they had a DP to match each Character, instead of buying the generic GW Daemon Prince.

He'd rather be doing Elves and Furries instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived