Blood angel allies

beefslinger

hey all, been playing dark angels for a year now and want to start using flyers since more and more are popping up at my local gaming area.  The new planes for our new codex just dont seem to be worth taking so I plan on bringing some blood angel allies to be able to take the storm raven.  My thought for the allies would be

Libby with JP

10 JP assault squad

Storm raven.

I plan on using the above to support greenwing troops and devastators with some bikes mixed in as well in the 1500 to 1750 range.  Has anybody used BA allies?  Also is there a better load out fort he above list.

Thanks

I think the above is a good choice. Assault Marines as troops, therefore scoring. I wouldn't take a Blood Angels Librarian due to the points difference when you can do better with a Divination Dark Angels Librarian. A Chaplain of sorts, maybe.

Also, the battle brothers rules mean you can stick Deathwing in that Blood Angels flyer, which is ideal!

I think the above is a good choice. Assault Marines as troops, therefore scoring. I wouldn't take a Blood Angels Librarian due to the points difference when you can do better with a Divination Dark Angels Librarian. A Chaplain of sorts, maybe.

Also, the battle brothers rules mean you can stick Deathwing in that Blood Angels flyer, which is ideal!

You should read the ally rules again. Can't go into an ally's transport tongue.pngsad.png

You should read the ally rules again. Can't go into an ally's transport tongue.pngsad.png

Crap.

In that case, don't bring a Storm Raven, it's not worth the points. Unless, of course, you fill it up with a Blood Angels unit instead, but it means the force is becoming less and less Dark Angely.

I was thinking this same thing with Blood Angels; I love the Stormraven, hate the DA fliers, so an allied force seems like it would work. I was actually thinking:

Blood Angels:

Liby with JP

Sang Priest with JP

10 Assault Marines

Stormraven

625 points, but that assault squad is tough with FNP and furious charge. I'm thinking of allying this with a Belial Deathwing themed army. Using Ravenwing bikes without Deathwing seems like a waste of a teleport homer.

I think you can leverage BA allies to compliment the strengths/mitigate the weaknesses of the DA army.

Units that compliment DA are:

HQ

-Librarian - Great all-around utility player, even though more expensive than DA Libby. Has unique BA-only abilities that could really help a DA primary detachment (Blood Lance and Unleash Rage come to mind).

-Mephiston - One man Monstrous Creature with ability to make himself S10, Jump Infantry, and re-roll To Hits with his Psychic Powers.... great compliment to DA assault units, like DW Termies/DW Knights

EL

-Sanguinary Guard - Highly mobile, 2+ save unit that can integrate very well with Ravenwing units as an elite, "surgical strike" force. Combine with Darkshroud and cover to give them what they really lack, the ability to shrug off AP2 shooting.

-Furioso Dread with Blood Talons - Tearing through mobs of Power Armor troops almost single-handedly, great assault unit used in conjunction with other DA units

-Sternguard - Highly flexible, potent shooting unit that DA lack

TR

-Blood Angel ASM - Great mobile troops, with access to SWs to pop tanks (melta) or do crowd control (flamers)

-Death Company - Great "shock" unit with tremendous value for its points, even if not scoring. Riding in a Land Raider Redeemer (Dedicated Transport with Deep Strike) or Stormraven, these guys are a force to fear in close combat

FA

-Baal Predator - A great, first turn, in your face unit to compliment Deathwing Assault and/or Ravenwing Scouting units

-Scout Bikers - Have something that Ravenwing lack... Locator Beacon, meaning you can accurately bring in Drop Pods, Assault Marines, DSing Land Raiders, and even Gates of Infinity jumps, unlike Teleporter Homers.

HS

-Stormraven - Great all-around unit and one of the best AA Flyers out there (CML, TL-ed Lacannon, and 2 Bloodstrike Missiles a turn, all at BS4 = lots of hull points stripped off of flyers)

-Vindicator - While 10pts more expensive than the DA variant, the Fast status enables it to move 12" and still shoot, making it significantly more effective/flexible. Great anti-tank and anti-TEQ weapon to compliment DA options.

A sample BA Allied Detachment for a DA army, using these options, would be:

-Librarian with Blood Lance, Shield of Sanguinas (Rides with SG)

-Sternguard with Drop Pod

-10 ASM with 2 MGs, PW

-Vindicator

If you really don't want to have allied BA (visually or fluff-wise), you could just make them counts-as Dark Angels:

-DA Libby

-DA company vets with Special Issue Ammo

-DA Assault Marines (who just happen to be a Troops option ;) )

-DA Fast Vindicator

I'm slowly working on a 10 man FW mkIII jump assault squad.

Might add my jump chappie and make up a storm chicken like Brother Elmos' one for a neat little C:BA allied force.

Painted either Consecrators black or AoV black, whichever takes my fancy when I get nearer to that stage. Love 'Counts As' :tu:

Hell, I might even add a Contemptable Dread to it too :D

Stobz

Thanks for the help, my plan is to paint them up as my Disciples of Caliban army, and give a red shoulder pad to the BA jumpers to denote them as the Allied detachement.  I really want to the storm raven for the AA, and it is a pretty fun model as well.

this is what I've used in the past to great effect. I even took out an ork stompa in 1 turn with these guys. a little expensive but you get what you pay for. I save this for 2000+point games. these guys will shred anything you get the charge on.

reclusearch with powerfist

11 death comp with 3fists, 3 power swords, 1 power maul

Stormraven

Baal pred

• 1 month later...

After reading the thread about Loyalist Fallen, I've become intrigued by the idea of using Blood Angels allies painted up as Consecrators to fight along side my DAs. I already have a stormraven, and I've been trying to figure out how best to use it with my DAs - both in a tactical sense and in a fluff sense. The Consecrators "counts as" Blood Angels allies seems like a great fit.

I've been toying with the idea of Azrael + Death Company, but I'm not sure how good they'll actually be since they'll have to foot-slog. If Azzy took Master of Maneuver, it would help mobility, but they'd still be targets. Then again, maybe they would be useful in that role - a unit that if you don't deal with will get in your koolaid and mess you up, but that if you do try to deal with, will take a lot of shots that would be more effective elsewhere. I don't want a giant DC blob, because that will draw too many points from my primary DA force. How small could a DC company like this go and still be useful? But the DC would make cool Consecrators, because they can have a variety of wargear, including funky pistols, and the FnP can be attributed to ancient wargear as opposed to frenzy and whatnot. That's my fluff side talking, of course.

The raven I envision as an anti-air unit with a cheap squad inside to be dropped off on an objective or in the enemy backfield at the end of the game for the linebreaker VP. Probably just a 5-man tac squad, though an assault squad with jump packs could use skies of blood without fear of death.

What d'ya think?

I like the idea of deathcompany and Azrael and have the same concerns. The list I'm gonna use should be able to take the fire off them I hope.

HQ

Azrael

Librarian- Mastery Level 2, Force Axe

Troops

Tactical Marines- 10 marines, Plasmagun, Plasma Cannon

Tactical Marines- 10 marines, Plasmagun, Plasma Cannon

Deathwing Terminators- 5 Terminators, 2 Thunder Hammer/Storm

Shield, Assault Cannon

Deathwing Terminators- 5 Terminators, 2 Thunder Hammer/Storm

Shield, Assault Cannon

Ravenwing Bikes- 3 Bikes, Melta Gun

Fast Attack

Black Knights- 5 Black Knights, Grenade Launcher

Allies

HQ

Reclusiarch- Power Fist, Melta Bombs

Troops

Deathcompany- 17 Death Company, 2 Plasma

Pistols, Power Axe

Deapstrike the Termies turn 1, Black Knights outflank and Deathcompany run up. I think this should be enough to keep them alive. Thoughts?

I think that for the extra points, the Stormraven is just so much better than the Nephilim for anti-flyer and anti-armour, especially considering that PotMS allows you to take on two targets at once.  I'd been seriously considering BA Librarian/Chaplain, naked Death Company, and a Stormraven as allies for a while, but the addition of the Stormraven to the Codex Marine stable has made me ponder changing out for a Codex Librarian to access Gate of Infinity, instead, given how many Teleport Homers/Locator Beacons can be on the board for a DA army.  On the other hand, 3 barebones Death Company are surprisingly killy for their points, if you get them to their target via Stormraven Express. :) 

After reading the thread about Loyalist Fallen, I've become intrigued by the idea of using Blood Angels allies painted up as Consecrators to fight along side my DAs. I already have a stormraven, and I've been trying to figure out how best to use it with my DAs - both in a tactical sense and in a fluff sense. The Consecrators "counts as" Blood Angels allies seems like a great fit.

I've been toying with the idea of Azrael + Death Company, but I'm not sure how good they'll actually be since they'll have to foot-slog. If Azzy took Master of Maneuver, it would help mobility, but they'd still be targets. Then again, maybe they would be useful in that role - a unit that if you don't deal with will get in your koolaid and mess you up, but that if you do try to deal with, will take a lot of shots that would be more effective elsewhere. I don't want a giant DC blob, because that will draw too many points from my primary DA force. How small could a DC company like this go and still be useful? But the DC would make cool Consecrators, because they can have a variety of wargear, including funky pistols, and the FnP can be attributed to ancient wargear as opposed to frenzy and whatnot. That's my fluff side talking, of course.

The raven I envision as an anti-air unit with a cheap squad inside to be dropped off on an objective or in the enemy backfield at the end of the game for the linebreaker VP. Probably just a 5-man tac squad, though an assault squad with jump packs could use skies of blood without fear of death.

What d'ya think?

Big fan of your thinking ;)

I agree that the Consecrators (As Death Company) would be better in the face of the enemy ASAP. I'm thinking mine may get ancient jump-packs while my IC Dread (Furioso) charges across the table drawing fire away from my DA rhinos and LR. If he reaches their line, there will be hell to pay...

Archived