Azrael, best uses?

Vashones

I've been playing around with lists since the codex came out and I have not found a best use for Azrael. He unlocks DW and RW as troops, but why not just take Belial or Samael, since they can actually fight with either of those elements.

My first thought was for AZ to sit with a command squad with the Standard of Devastation, but that seems a waste of 215 points for a 4+ Invul save; a Libriarian with a PFG seems a better more cost effective choice.

Another thought is to stick him in a Razorback or Landradier with a Tactical or Vet squad and get up close for assault. A drop pod might work as well.

What are your thoughts on him? Where is the best place for him in a DA army? Is there ever a benefit to taking him over the other named charachters?

why not a 7 man dwk unit with azeral and ezekiel? +1 ws, prescience, and maybe some other fun stuff!!

waste of his 4++ for a whole squad, plus, they have an AP4 weapon for most of the time with no AP2 (bar one round of combat) meaning it lacks any punching ability against Marines (unless your fighting Chaos)

I've been playing around with lists since the codex came out and I have not found a best use for Azrael. He unlocks DW and RW as troops, but why not just take Belial or Samael, since they can actually fight with either of those elements.

I see a big reason why : because he occupies one single slot hence leaving 1 slot for a librarian with termi armor and divination.

Land raider and something choppy. It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

Or you could drop him with some vets via drop pod, unload his plasma, then start chopping.

Or you could march him up the field with a banner and some tac squads.

Or let him sit in the backfield with your firebase, keeping his Ld10 aura safe for a large greenwing army.

Or put him in a DWK squad, giving him T5 and improving the squad's output against 3+ units.

Or, the obligatory Internet wisdom repetition, join him to an allied Guard blob. Fearless, 4++, whichever warlord trait you pick (probably the FNP one).

I see a big reason why : because he occupies one single slot hence leaving 1 slot for a librarian with termi armor and divination.

If you are only focusing on one wing - deathwing or ravenwing - then it probably makes more sense to go with Belial or Sammy. However, if you want to field a mixed-wing army with deathwing and ravenwing that are both scoring units, then Azrael not only save you an HQ slot, but he also saves you from spending ~200 points on two different characters.  Lastly, as a minor bonus, he gets to pick his Dark Angels warlord trait instead of having one assigned to him.

All things considered, Azrael is really about flexibility in addition to mightiness.

I forgot about being able to pick a warlord trait, you could give him For the Lion and give the unit Furious Charge. The drop pod with vet squad that is choppy seems like a very cool idea. Maybe some combi weapons for a nice first strike out of the drop pod.

Archived