V Necrons new player

Submarine

Hi. I am a new 40k player having played fantasy for some time.

My regular opponent will be a necron player.

I intend to buy the dark vengeance box and at least one dreadnought because I love the model.

I would appreciate any tactical and army composition advice.

Many thanks.

I am assuming he will have a good number of warriors...

get into close combat with those guys and go to town...

beware the glacing death of gauss...and be wary of their elite cc guys...

Thanks guys.

I know he has bought the mega force box set and plans to take flyers. We intend to play 1500 pts. Can he get many flyers in?

Is it worth me taking the dark angels flyer? I was intending to pick a balanced list. Any army selection suggestions for dark angels against the necrons?

The problem with not using vehicles comes from the the tesla immortals and their 6s. They can pretty much fry entire squads in a single round that way. If he has any sence all his equipment will be packing quantum shielding as well making AV 13.I would invest in some lascannon delivery systems. Melta is nice but play a shooting game in the same range with necrons and you loose (unless you are guard). Pack plasma guns also to your tactical squads, they will deny their reanimation protocols. At the end of the day you need three things: Lascannons, bodies, plasma, heavy bolter and flakk if he uses flyers.

Deploy at least a dev squad with following load-out: 2x Lascannons 2x heavy bolters. Combat squad them and destroy vehicles with the lasers and warriors with the heavy bolters denying their saves.

The godhammer pattern LR is PRICELESS VS NECRONS. Use the machine spirit to fire the heavy bolter at infantry. Add a melta for more tank busting.

Ravenwing knights will ruin his day. Six man squad, rapid-firing chucking grenades and assaulting= Destroyed squad.

All you tac squads need a las/plas razorback and as said a missile launcher.

EDIT: Capitano : I disagree with the statement go to CC and win. You underestimate the low initiate of necrons as a liability. Then you charge and discover three things: Most of their models have 3 or 4 armor save (therefore you cant dent them without power weapons), they reanimate if you don't whipe them out (glorified 5++ but still...), they will have cryptecks as squad leaders, usually with voltaic stave's...

So all in all try this: Out-range him with your lascannons: Target priority should be: Triarch stalkers, Any kind of barge.

Missiles will either strike at flyers or vehicles depending.

The ravenwing knights should be held in place until the time the plasma/heavy bolters have dented his infantry then they can zoom, rapidfire, chuck grenades and charge.

Use a librarian with divination and get either rerolls for his saves or prescience. It will doom him.

Pretty much build a list there tongue.png

EDIT 2: If he gets the stormlord and gets night-fighting YOU NEED VEHICLES WITH SEARCHLIGHTS.

EDIT3: Might want to have a flamer into your tac squads just in case he uses scarab farms, but I doubt it.

There is a thread in the tatica astartes regarding dealing with necrons, you may want to check it out. Here are a few useful pointers.

It is best to first try to list exactly what your opponents list is, this way it is easier to combat. You already have an advantage here since he will be your regular opponent and you will know the models he will own.

1. Necrons have initative 2. If you assault them with your termies plus a tactical squad/bikers they will be struck by the tactical/bikers squad before being able to strike themselves. The termies will then clean up the leftovers unsuring the squad is dead.

2. If you make the unit of necrons fall back the fallen necrons cannot make reanimation protocols. (see necron codex)

3. His hq will likely have the everliving special rule. For dealing with models with everliving, they cannot come back if you wipe out the necron unit and consolidate your squad two inches in everydecretion of where the model fell. (see necron codex) also hes got to roll to see if everliving happens. It aint automatic!

4.) Scarabs. I believe that swarms like scarabs take double wounds from things like blasts and templates. Burn 'em up! Or put those vindies to good use.

5.) general rule for necron demise, shoot them til everyone in the squad is dead. Do not spread fire. Do shoot willynilly. One target. Kill it. Dead. No reanimation protocol.

In a batrep i just posted a battle against a necron list. This is not to plug my blog, but i try to be good about showing different weapons effects. You can see that guass shred vehicles (green effects) cause they act like haywire grenades, things with tesla shred infantry (blue effect) cause 6s give them extra shots. Keep these things in mind when planning your battle strategy.

There is a thread in the tatica astartes regarding dealing with necrons, you may want to check it out. Here are a few useful pointers.

It is best to first try to list exactly what your opponents list is, this way it is easier to combat. You already have an advantage here since he will be your regular opponent and you will know the models he will own.

1. Necrons have initative 2. If you assault them with your termies plus a tactical squad/bikers they will be struck by the tactical/bikers squad before being able to strike themselves. The termies will then clean up the leftovers unsuring the squad is dead.

2. If you make the unit of necrons fall back the fallen necrons cannot make reanimation protocols. (see necron codex)

3. His hq will likely have the everliving special rule. For dealing with models with everliving, they cannot come back if you wipe out the necron unit and consolidate your squad two inches in everydecretion of where the model fell. (see necron codex) also hes got to roll to see if everliving happens. It aint automatic!

4.) Scarabs. I believe that swarms like scarabs take double wounds from things like blasts and templates. Burn 'em up! Or put those vindies to good use.

5.) general rule for necron demise, shoot them til everyone in the squad is dead. Do not spread fire. Don't shoot willynilly. One target. Kill it. Dead. No reanimation protocol.

these are all great pointers, but I can't emphasize enough that number 5 is key.

And watch out for his buses, they can split fire and all the guys inside can shoot too, which can get nasty real quick.

Archived