A note on drop-pods

W0lfie

Hey B&C,

So I have used drop pods for a fair while now, and usually I find I am either wanting as many units as possible to land turn 1, or the same but for turn 2 (depending on whether I go first or second).  Reading the FAQ on the GW site, it seems you can take drop pods, on their own, with nothing in them! What does this mean? In larger points games (1500-2000, otherwise it's too many points) you can have your three tactical squads/sternguard squads/iron clads etc. come down all on turn one, and then just drop the two empties in on turn two to take pot shots/block line of sight/movement or whatever you need to, and this guaranteed synchronization would only cost 70pts!  If you're feeling cheeky and enjoy forgeworld, you can use some of their lucius/deathstorm drop pods for this role too.  

Just thought I'd share my reaction to spotting this in the FAQ I finally got around to reading.  I'll probably play test this and update in the near future.

Anything think it's worth it?

You cannot buy a empty drop pod, BUT you can buy it for a unit like a thunderfire cannon and then drop the pod in empty while you deploy the thunderfire cannon.

Ah, took "use" to mean "purchased", my bad.  Either way, you could still use them in such a fashion, if you have squads who are sitting at home base capturing objectives who aren't in need of transport.

As far as i know, you can take drop pods for your squads and than deploy that squads at the beginning of the game and then send your empty pods.

I usually use this tactic on 2000 games with 5 pods. Send 3 full pods at turn 1 and empt pods at turn 2 (depending on the dice of course)

Guest Drunk Guardian

You can do this but I question whether its actually a valuable use of resources to purchase empty pods. 70 points could be a MM/HF Land Speeder. Not saying its bad to have more units come on turn 1, but I don't like simply throwing away 70 points.

I'd suggest maybe taking those 2 extra drop pods on additional units that you COULD deep strike in should the situation warrant, and then send them empty when the situation doesn't.

For example, I could take 5 units of Grey Hunters with drop pods, but if I REALLY want those extra 2 units of Grey Hunters on foot on the field turn 1, then I'll just do it and fire their pods off later. Otherwise, I know I can still use them in the pod depending on the game (killpoint game?).

Archived