Company Master with Jump Pack

L30n1d4s

I know this is a bit of an unusual take on DA HQs, but I am always looking to see if there is a new, innovative way to run an army and make it work together more effeciently.

The DA book does not allow Company Masters to take Bikes or Chaplains/Librarians to take artificer armor, so generally you are left with 3+ saves for HQs leading Ravenwing units. That said, I think there is a unique way to make a mobile character to attach to Ravenwing units:

Company Master (195)

-Mace of Redemption

-Power Axe

-Displacer Field

-Jump Pack

-Artificier Armor

Now, up front, this IC cannot turbo-boost with the Bikes, cannot shoot, and does not get +1T like the bikes, making him vulnerable to ID from S8 weapons. These are significant issues and not to be ignored.

However, what he does bring to the table is:

-12" move, just like Bikes

-2+ armor save, making him a great asset for eating Power Weapon attacks and making saves against things like Baleflamer and other AP3 weapons

-3++ Invul, making him decently survivable in challenges, even when against high strength/low AP weapons

-If you pick Mace of Redemption, then you get 5 S7 AP3 Initiative 5 attacks on the charge, which can either almost single-handedly wreck a MEQ squad or obliterate any character in a challenge that doesn't have a 2+ save.

-If you use the Power Axe instead, you get 5 S5 AP2 I1 attacks on the charge, good for chopping up terminators or taking down a character with a 2+ save in a challenge.

While all this may not seem amazing, I believe it gives Ravenwing Attack Squadrons or Black Knight Squadrons the ability to be led by a character with very high armor/Invul saves and some potent damage output. It also gives the squad flexibility, with the Company Master being able to split off from the squadron and "solo" an enemy unit in CC while the squadron engages other units or maneuvers elsewhere on the board.

Ive actually been selling a similar build around the web myself, although with less bling... just jp, artie, mace, auspex. The guy is a beast and has insane synergy with ravenwing as the warlord, especially in conjunction with grenades.

Im not sold on the axe though tbh, not sure on the displacer field either although I havent used it. I wouldnt want to be tacking 2+ saves with him especially with the amount of plasma we can pack and with hit and run he can disengage rather than slug it out with S8 guys.

The displacer I guess im just wary of because of its random nature. The greatest value of the co master IMO is really just the mace, 2+, although the auspex is so cheap its an auto include.

Hmmm, I like your cheaper version of this idea, as there is a good bit of merit to an HQ with Jump Pack, 2+/4++, Mace, and Auspex for 160 pts.

That said, I still think you might consider dropping the Auspex and adding a Stormshield for only +10 pts. While you lose one attack, you gain that invaluable 2+/3++ on a character that can attach to Ravenwing Bikers (or even drop in with Dark Angel ASM in a pinch) and then get punchy with enemy units.

I definitely agree with you that, however you build him, a JP/AA equipped Company Master synergizes well with Black Knights and their Grenade Launchers. Stasis Grenades mean your Company Master is hitting on WS6 vs WS5 for even most elite enemy HQ options and is striking at I5 vs I4 for most MEQ characters. Rad Grenades means that your Mace of Redemption is striking at S7 vs T3 for move MEQ units, causing ID on a single failed save.

I was initially on the storm shield idea and I cant deny its strictly better than the halo. The conclusion I came to though is that sammael should be fighting ICs with ap2 potential since they will likey be ID attacks as well, which I dont want to risk on my co master. Between 2 ICs and 2 characters in the squad I should never be forced to take wounds or challenges on him that arent in my favor.

Sounds weird, but I have an aesthetic aversion to non-bike units tooling round with my bikes........geek.gif

Once I manage to get over that issue, I really like this idea. Have you considered an Interrogator Chappy with JP and Mace? 155 points so slightly cheaper. OK, he doesn't get the artificer armour, but he does get Zealot which could be fun :)

Lack of artie armour is why I am opposed to the guy actually but ymmv.  Honestly I think all these builds are completely viable, I my preference and other people have theirs. If not running the std of dakka you could put a chappy in a unit of black knights instead where more models probably means the added durability of the IC is less of an issue. I am running the std so my goal is to buff the cmd squad as much and in as many ways as possible while maintaining pts efficiency.

Dammit! Too many viable builds and too little time to test them smile.png

I know, it's dreadful. I wish our codex had only one interesting and useful build so we could get down to playing with that and nothing else for the next six years. wink.png

Dammit! Too many viable builds and too little time to test them smile.png

I know, it's dreadful. I wish our codex had only one interesting and useful build so we could get down to playing with that and nothing else for the next six years. wink.png

http://i.imgur.com/U0LrSum.png

I will most likely sound like a jerk now but I will say it anyway. Personaly If I had designed a company master at the 200pts mark I would swap him for azy.

Ya ive considered that and it did play into why I keep my build cheap, although not much. Azrael performs an entirely different roll than a 12" moving mace wielder.

At first glance he looks simple to build around and perfect for deathraven...but hes not. Not without some hoops to jump through. Azrael unlocks DW and RW but he cant efficiently join either. He needs a delivery system (LRC) or hes stuck babysitting a tac squad in never ever land.

IMO if you tac azrael you should take the LRC, if you arent taking one dont take azrael unless you like IG blobs and such. I dont.

Its true he is a combat beast and between rites of battle, 4++ to his squad and choosing his traits plus unlocking DW/RW its damn hard to go wrong with azrael. It really just comes down to list design.

That said im really really digging the newly revamped sammael, the mace of redemption and the auspex wargear, and so since I dont run DW at the moment I have no reason to take the GM.

Well, Az has FNP And blind as well. Its an impressive statline. And I dont think that a mace by itself is that usefull. Ill take the Sword of Secrets any time of the week. Personal Preference. The only thing he lacks is the mobility department.

EDIT: The problem with the company masters now is the one that marine captains have since 5th and chaplains before the inclusion of littanies of hate: Except the CC brawl they offer nothing to the rest of the army. So in essence they are gloryfied bullies. Now that you have to pay for LD9 seperately and on a unit by unit basis as well (that has me deploy sergeants with bolters now days), Az is worth his weight (I has the metal one tongue.png) in gold. In my mind If I want a regular HQ ill either take an interrogator or a libby.

I agree on the problems with cap type characters but not on the mace. At least not until it proves otherwise in play, which I admit is a possibility. The ability to hide in combat unscathed while making a unit worthless in their following turn is valuable especially against horde or even some deathstars.

As for LD I don't feel it really matters that much, in fact it may be preferable to have the ability to fail stubborn tests in cc. Conversely falling back can hurt, but how often does that occur where ATSKNF doesn't just fix the problem?

Not a unit. A model. The use of the maces special ability is one time only. Unless you are hitting chaos space marines its little more than a gloryfied power maul. Only in the hands of the DWKs where they wield nine of the things is its potential realiased.

EDIT: We are also not supposed to enter CC in the first place with tac marines. But I would be really upset if my gunline started rocking back and forth by casualties ;)

Not a unit. A model. The use of the maces special ability is one time only. Unless you are hitting chaos space marines its little more than a gloryfied power maul. Only in the hands of the DWKs where they wield nine of the things is its potential realiased.

EDIT: We are also not supposed to enter CC in the first place with tac marines. But I would be really upset if my gunline started rocking back and forth by casualties msn-wink.gif

Unless I'm missing something (don't have the codex to hand), the Mace of Redemption is a completely different weapon to the Maces of Absolution carried by Deathwing Knights. The Mace of Redemption (from the Chapter Relics part of the wargear list) is actually harder hitting than the Sword of Secrets. +3 Strength, AP3 hitting at Initiative make it one of the better marine weapons in the game surely?

Unless I'm missing something (don't have the codex to hand), the Mace of Redemption is a completely different weapon to the Maces of Absolution carried by Deathwing Knights. The Mace of Redemption (from the Chapter Relics part of the wargear list) is actually harder hitting than the Sword of Secrets. +3 Strength, AP3 hitting at Initiative make it one of the better marine weapons in the game surely?

It is one of the better ones a Marine can get. Considering the only thing the SM Codex can really get that is around the same is a Relic Blade. And for the same points we get +1S and can get an off hand attack. smile.png

: Checks rulebook...Hmmm: whoops.gif !!!!!!!!!

Yup you are right my fumble. It is a better weapon, I totally criss crosed it with the deathwing knight one!

Now go find me a way to give the company master rights of battle and I will build you a statue!

Though to be honest Id still take Azzy and stick that as an upgrade to an interrogator biggrin.png

BTW does the fluff entry for the weapon suggest that we captured a frigging DEAMON PRINCE ALIVE!?!?!?!?!?!?!

If Asmodai made that thing repent I will not question his sanity again.EVER!

EDIT: Ok honesty I quit, that weapon is awesome and if you plan to use a company master its the way to go really.
I just want my HQs to have an army wide effect, thats all...

Haha lol I should of realized you were missing something! S7 ap3 (ap2 vs csm) melee at init 5 with blind concussive + rad/stasis is simply the :cuss. Add hit and run for pure insanity. See what I'm saying now about flying azrael? Picture ork or cron anything or heck even marines at -1 init. It's worth testing brother. Hell it will probably win games on it's own.

Archived