Most human/humane Traitor Legion or Warband

Wade Garrett

A complex question, since we're dealing with matters of perception and motivation. 

The Death Guard are an obvious choice, since, by their own standards, they are bringing true enlightenment and liberation to their victims; the diseases and suffering they spread generous gifts from their patron, rather than examples of malice. Similarly, the Word Bearers have made a religious creed out of the spite, violence and suffering that the Dark Gods epitomise; they are not slaughtering their victims so much as speeding them on their way into the God's embrace. Personally, I've always perceived these legions in particular as acting out of twisted idealism and even a kind of empathy; seeking to enlighten humanity as to the true nature of the universe in which they operate, however dark and morbid that might be. 

The Emperor's Children, on the other hand, aren't a terribly obvious choice, in fact would likely be the last most would posit in this regard, but hear me out: 

To the servants of Slaanesh, any and all experience is welcome; those steeped in the Dark Prince's lore know that every experience and sensation that can be endured is a step in the transcendence that Slaanesh embodies, i.e. that which occurs through transgression of all things, including parameters of self. Via these experiences, new contexts of operation and self definition blossom in the subject's consciousness, in fact, the very notion of definition -the parameters by which any concept of self might be determined- are dissolved, leaving behind only endless flux that is the truth of Slaanesh; total and absolute violation of all parameters and presumption. By inflicting these experiences on their victims, even though they ostensibly take great pleasure in them themselves, the servants of Slaanesh are also initiating similar transcendence in their victims, allowing them to experience states and conditions beyond the parameters they have been conditioned to presume as absolute. In that regard, they could be said to be acting in a similarly "humane" manner as the Death Guard or the Word Bearers; enlightening with every cut and mutilation. A dark expression of empathy, to be sure, but a kind of empathy, nonetheless. 

In general, the best a mortal is probably going to get from a Traitor Marine is either the regard one gives to a favored tool, or a degenerate worldview that twists the meaning of humane into something terrible and vicious, or the momentary mercy that arises from a sudden fit of pathos.

Because Chaos is objectively Bad in this setting. We are playing Bad Guys.

Have to say give me an example of the good guys in the 40k universe... :)

The Tau empire wants to unite all intelligent life forms into a single collective that strives towards a greater good for all within the collective.

They do some shady things (I don't buy the mass sterilizations of humans, that's coming from something written by CS Goto IIRC) but what government doesn't?

In general, the best a mortal is probably going to get from a Traitor Marine is either the regard one gives to a favored tool, or a degenerate worldview that twists the meaning of humane into something terrible and vicious, or the momentary mercy that arises from a sudden fit of pathos.

Because Chaos is objectively Bad in this setting. We are playing Bad Guys.

Have to say give me an example of the good guys in the 40k universe... smile.png

The Tau empire wants to unite all intelligent life forms into a single collective that strives towards a greater good for all within the collective.

They do some shady things (I don't buy the mass sterilizations of humans, that's coming from something written by CS Goto IIRC) but what government doesn't?

The Tau embody the central irony of Utopian ideals; they often come at the price of individual liberty and the existence of any kind of philosophical variety. The ideal Utopia is akin to an insect hive; all entities within genetically determined from conception to fulfil a specific purpose, with no notion of operation or even existence outside of those parameters. In that regard, the Tyranids embody a kind of Utopian perfection more than any other race in the 40K universe. Outside of that, the very fact of consciousness and imagination stands at odds with the enshrinement and imposition of a particular philosophy; there are ALWAYS going to be those said philosophy does not accommodate, and which therefore stand at odds with it. Utopianism and individual consciousness necessarily stand at odds with one another. This is one of the reasons I have a fair deal of contempt for the Tau; they use the same rhetoric that conquerors and tyrants have always used to justify their genocides throughout human history; we kill for freedom, we kill for god, we kill for truth, we kill for this, that or the other. The fact of the killing is more than enough to be suspicious of their purported intentions, even if the entire race has collectively dunked their heads in the proverbial kool-aid.

This is also the central flaw in the Emperor's apparent designs before consignment to the Golden Throne, and one you'd have thought he'd have recognised, being the tower of intellect he is purported to be, not to mention having lived to see the rise and fall of empires first hand.

I would like to second comments that others have made concerning the fact that all space marines, and particularly those that have turned to Chaos, are very distant from our concenption of what it is to be human, and therefore what constitutes humane behaviour. The changes wrought by the gene-seed and psychoindoctrination alter the experience of emotion such that "they know no fear", improve memory and mental function, and alter their relationship with pain, hunger and sleep deprivation. The fact that they are often called "demigods" communicates this distance, not only of capacity, but also of fundamental experience. They find it hard to read human emotions and relate to their experiences: the scene between Ibram Gaunt and a Battle Borther in "Salvation's Reach" comes to mind, in which the battle-brother kindly but bluntly tries to understand why Gaunt would be struggling with emotional attachments to someone under his command.

However I think we need to acknowledge two important things:

1) Just because they find it difficult to relate to us, does not mean that they cannot intellectually comprehend some of what it is to be human. They can understand the effects of fear, even recognise and appreciate it in others, sufficiently to inspire it. Nor does lack of humanity make them stupid. Preserving a skilled servant, or establishing a network of support troops is strategically wise. At the very least, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. We should not confuse enlightened self-interest for caring or empathy. Even on the Imperial side there is no hesitation when it comes to fulfillment of duty; where Imperial servants differ is in terms of how they see that duty being best satisfied, such as whether to allow the death of human civilians if it means that there would be fewer Space Marine casualites, or whether humans who have fought against Chaos should be exterminated just in case they are tainted or have witnessed the Grey Knights in action.

2) We also must acknowledge that our concept of what it is to be humane is very much a product of our culture. Even within the space of a couple of generations, in Western culture, concepts of what was the kindest thing to be done for the intellectually or physically disabled were very different to how they are now. In the present time, different cultures in our world have very different notions of euthanasia, arranged marriage, or the rights of the individual compared to that of the state. I think we need to recognise that in discussing which of the Legions or Chapters is the most humane, we are judging which of them have a moral code most similar to ours. The interesting part of 40k is how dystopian the universe is. In such a setting, notions of what it is to be human and to treat your fellow humans most kindly is very different. Ignorance is a blessed state, to be encouraged in the masses.

Some quotes to illustrate my point (shamelessly ripped off Lexicanum):

When the people forget their duty they are no longer human and become something less than beasts. They have no place in the bosom of humanity nor in the heart of the Emperor. Let them die and be forgotten.

Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand realise that you have no right to let them live

The weak will always be led by the strong. Where the strong see purpose and act, the weak follow; where the strong cry out against fate, the weak bow their heads and succumb. There are many who are weak; and many are their temptations. Despise the weak for they shall flock to the call of the Daemon and the Renegade. Pity them not and scorn their cries of innocence - it is better that one hundred innocently fall before the wrath of the Emperor than one kneels before the Daemon.

After re-reading "Blood Gorgons" I'm no longer as certain they deserve a recommendation as a "humane" Legion.

Pragmatic, maybe, in that they only massacre slaves and allied mortals to achieve some greater goal, although when compared to many Chaos warbands that makes them practically pillars of compassion.

What is interesting is the ethical viewpoint of the Chapter, as compared to say Talos and the Night Lords, where freedom and independence are the highest virtues and emotional attachments to anything save your war gear and your Battle Brothers are a weakness.

Archived