Kobrakei's Dark Angels

Kobrakei

Hey all

Painted a test for my new Ravenwing/Greenwing army. I hate painting black but found a way I like now, although it remains very dark with minimal highlighting, which I personally prefer. Since this Pic was taken I've drilled the melta barrel and tidied the base, also drybrushing it with Astronomicon Gray.

gallery_7808_8119_18546.jpg

C&C welcome.

Kobrakei

Thanks for the advice

I got about halfway through painting him when I realised there would be large areas of black...one of those! But hopefully the red draws the eyes in and the silver is enough to break the black up without losing the dark effect. In RL he pops a little more, but trying not to use that as an excuse. I guess I could do with a better camera :P

Cheers 

So after finishing this guy, I have decided to begin work on the rest of Squad Arael. And here they are...

gallery_7808_8119_1847981.jpg

The barrels will be drilled out before I start. I'm looking forward to painting the robes as the greenwing element of my army will have many, many, many robes (Did I mention many?).

Thanks for looking

So...finally finished the squad! Didn't take too long, and happy with how the black and white has come out smile.png

gallery_7808_8119_2213775.jpg

And to treat myself for actually having some discipline, and finishing the whole squad...here come the Black Knights!

gallery_7808_8119_227565.jpg

There are six in my army, but I thought I would break them up as 1. They're insanely detailed and doing all that in one go will make me go crazy! 2. I can use them to encourage me to finish more Ravenwing squads by using them as a reward. Looking forward to seeing them done though!

Cheers

PS - I know the pic quality isn't the best and the sublties like shading and highlighting aren't quite coming across. Unfortunately I haven't really got the funds to get a better camera at the moment, but I will look into it as I'm going to be keeping this updated :) So please, bear with me in the meantime. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

So, after a week or two of painting for an hour a night, I have completed the first three of my Black Knights. I thought the white was going to kill me, but as soon as that was done the rest just clicked into place.

gallery_7808_8119_1064707.jpg

Only three more to go, but that does include a robed Huntsmaster...:S

As for what's next, I thought it would be nice to crack into the green part of my army! So, to start small...here's a five man Tactical Squad with a lascannon. 90 pts for these little beauties will let me keep a backfield objective, and kill tanks in the face.

gallery_7808_8119_1798590.jpg

These shouldn't take too long to get finished, and then the rest of the Black Knights are next!

Also...as a bonus

gallery_7808_8119_918530.jpg

Painted for a friend, took 30 mins and most of that was wash drying time, and I enjoyed every second. Was nice to paint something so small and different smile.png

The Black Knights are coming on well. It looks like when you're taking the photos you're casting a shadow in front of you over the models. In my experience the autofocus struggles with that.

The purple-robed watcher is adorable. I won't show that to the missus though or she'll insist that I paint mine that way. :)

I think it's more than likely that. I need to invest in a decent light source as my house is quite dark!

As for the Watcher, said friend was a girl. Who demanded I paint it purple tongue.png

Kobrakei, I like what I see so far, looking very nice! The little purple Watcher seems a bit silly, but hey, a friend is a friend. :lol: Nice work on the Ravenwing, they are coming along nicely and :tu: on having a reward system for finishing units. Keep it coming!

So I've been working on the backfield heroes (tongue.png) and have managed to get the green and robes done. Hopefully the robes look like heavy cloth. The green is Caliban Green, washed with Nuln Oil, overbrushed with Caliban Green (this is like a drybrush, but with slightly wet paint) and then Warpstone Glow for edge highlights. In the pic it's more obvious on certain marines than other, but they all look the same IRL.

gallery_7808_8119_1610184.jpg

These guys are ready for the details to start going on, and I'm surprised how easy it's been to get them this ready this quick. Certainly makes a change from bikes!

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished the above squad finally! Seems like they took forever, but I'm glad they're done. I was a little concerned with how the red bolters would look, and halfway through I thought it would look terrible. However, now they're done I'm really happy, and they help to draw the eye in.

gallery_7808_8119_388933.jpg

gallery_7808_8119_478047.jpg

gallery_7808_8119_839983.jpg

I did want to freehand in the wings, but struggled with getting it right. Anyone got any tips?

Next up I'll be finishing my Black Knight unit, and then...?

Well, I'd like the B+C to help me decide! My choices are...

A three man Ravenwing Squad and two Attack Bikes

OR

A ten man Tactical Squad with Rhino transport

Whichever gets the most votes by 15/03 will be next on the table!

I have finished the above squad finally! Seems like they took forever, but I'm glad they're done. I was a little concerned with how the red bolters would look, and halfway through I thought it would look terrible. However, now they're done I'm really happy, and they help to draw the eye in.

gallery_7808_8119_388933.jpg

gallery_7808_8119_478047.jpg

gallery_7808_8119_839983.jpg

I did want to freehand in the wings, but struggled with getting it right. Anyone got any tips?

Next up I'll be finishing my Black Knight unit, and then...?

Well, I'd like the B+C to help me decide! My choices are...

A three man Ravenwing Squad and two Attack Bikes

OR

A ten man Tactical Squad with Rhino transport

Whichever gets the most votes by 15/03 will be next on the table!

I outline the wings first in Dawnstone (grey) then build up from there. It's not as bad then when I make a mistake.

• 1 month later...

Oooof...over a month?!?! Well, I have excuses. Terrible, lame excuses. This thing called real life got in the way. Bleh!

But seriously, I couldn't quite get to grips with the last three Black Knights. Just didn't seem to want to get painted. But I pushed through, and now they're done. They've also been beating face in all the games I've been using them which is always a bonus.

gallery_7808_8119_1444832.jpg

gallery_7808_8119_1224317.jpg

So, what's next for my army? Well...it's time to crack out the Tacticals! A full ten man squad with plasma gun and cannon? Go on then...why not? Really I just need a change from painting a sea of black...it sends my eyes a bit loopy! These have a Rhino to go with them, but I'll be buying some Army Painter Angel Green to get that sprayed. Has anyone got any experience with this colour? I do want to match it to Caliban Green if possible, otherwise it'll be time to break out my GW spray gun (yay)

WIP Pics

gallery_7808_8119_779500.jpg

gallery_7808_8119_1741325.jpg

After these and the Rhino are complete, I'll be taking on my Darkshroud. Lots of opportunity to throw on individual touches on that beast!

• 1 month later...

A month? Again? Shoddiness!

And I've only finished painting one thing. Tisk!

Of course, it's something I've been worrying about how to paint for a while...

DEATHWING!

gallery_7808_8119_8350.jpg

C+C welcome.

Thanks for the feedback. The red does seem to pop more in real life, but for some reason it never looks as good on camera. I might need to use a brighter red to highlight as I tend to use Mephiston Red as a highlight after washing with Carroberg Crimson. I'll have to experiment.

Red is definitely one of the hardest colors to paint and get to look nice. I find that after washing, I generally need to paint the base color again to bring it back up and define the recesses better.

Archived