Psyker Powers Question

AL13N

Hey played a game against Ray tonight, I wanted to make sure I didn't cheat Ray we desided at the time that whatever its all good do it. 

During my Movement phase My librarian using psyker power The Gate of infinity. to teleport him and his squad Sternguard any where within 24" using deep strike rules. My question is this...Is this allowed if in Hand to hand combat? It doesn't say either way in Codex. Thanks for your help in advance. 

I went through the FAQs and still nothing that can tell me either way Help please? 

Inconclusive, some say you can, others you can't. I lean towards you can. The FAQ doesn't say you can, even if doesn't say you can't.

This thread here was pretty long and extensively debated.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/159180-librarian-gate-of-infinity-out-of-assault/

A buddy of mine showed me  rule in the 6th edition rule book. Hit and Run. I think that this Psyker ability mymics this but instead of 3d6 movement away its a 24" deep strike with posibilities of mishap

The precedent would be Veils of Darkness - under the 3e codex, the Veil of Darkness (which removes the unit from the table and then deep strikes them back onto it) declared that "This item may be used even if the bearer is in close combat". In the 5e codex, the Veil said "This item may not be used while the bearer is in close combat" but an additional item, the Ghostwalk Mantle, was added with "Obyron may use this at any time - even when he's in close combat!"

That would imply that, since the Veil (or Gate) is a form of movement, you can't use it in Close Combat. Additional support from the Relic mission, which says that if a model teleports further than 6", he drops the relic because you can't move more than 6" in a turn while carrying it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a very similar question to the OP.  On the topic of the Gate of Infinity...  my question is simply this.  

Can you activate the power in a transport?  So that the Librarian and Unit may arrive within 24" of the transport. 

Hope somebody can help

Can you activate the power in a transport?  So that the Librarian and Unit may arrive within 24" of the transport.

I would say no, for this reason:

"Place a counter in base contact with a model in the target unit."

If the Librarian casts Gate on his unit, you then have to place a counter in base contact with a model in that unit. Which you can't do because the unit is embarked and the embarked unit and transport are not a single unit.

You could, however, cast Gate on the transport...

Depends on which Gate. C:SM, then sure, no mention of a counter anywhere. BGB, no, because of that counter issue. Unless I've missed something in the C:SM FAQ which corrects it like the BGB one or says to use the BGB one.

Don't Orks have a psychic power where they can teleport out of a transport?

...and now for a quick highjack, a Librarian with Prescience is in a Rhino and wants to "bless" another squad within range of the Rhino's hull. How far can this Rhino move to allow the Librarian to cast out of a fire slot?

Don't Orks have a psychic power where they can teleport out of a transport?

...and now for a quick highjack, a Librarian with Prescience is in a Rhino and wants to "bless" another squad within range of the Rhino's hull. How far can this Rhino move to allow the Librarian to cast out of a fire slot?

Doesn't matter.  A Blessing is not a Witchfire, so can't use a Transports Fire Points.  And a Blessing can only be cast on the casting model, the embarked unit, or the transport - when cast by an embarked model.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived