Deathwing assault query.

Shenloanne

Brothers.

I currently have 5 DW terminators (Sarge, Asscan and 3 bolter/power fists). I'm painting up Belial and his command squad and also have enough parts to make another 5 terminators, which I plan on having a mixed bag with an asscan, cyclone launcher and a mix of shooty and CC. Perhaps 2 TH/SS or 1 TH/SS 1x LCs, loadouts aside here's my question.

Deathwing assault means I can place half my deathwing squads in reserve and then use DWA yes?

So by that logic, if I want to get Belial and his command squad on the table with the other terminators all at once, is it sensible to lump the terminators into a squad together as a ten man unit, which would be 1 squad and then drop them along with Belial and his command squad, since a command squad does not take up space on a force allocation chart.

Also related to this. I want Belial and his squad to be shielded by a wall of invul saves. So do I drop the terminators first then precisely land Belial and his command squad down behind them?

Depending on what else is in your army, DWA allows you to drop all of your Deathwing in either turn one or turn two. There is a debate about weather Deathwing using DWA count for the 50% rule, but if your force is half Deathwing, then DWA away all of them.

I think you're confusing our old DWA with our current one. You pick which units in terminator armor you want to DWA and they all do. The only 50% restriction is counted for reserves. So lets say you have your 2 units of 5 terminators, Belial and his command squad. So that's 4 units. You'll need at least another 4 units on the table in order to hold them in reserve to perform the DWA. And remember DWA is they all come on the same turn. You can't say the 2 units are coming on turn 1 and Belial and his Command Squad are coming in turn 2. You pick a turn and they all show up on that turn.

Now in regards to reserves and DWA, this could all change. It is a hot debate right now if they do or do not count towards the 50% reserves. Such a hot debate a thread was closed on this board because it was just going in circles. So it's up to you and your gaming group to figure out how to interpret this rule. Personally I don't think they count towards the reserve, but until an FAQ comes out to verify this, I play it as that they do count towards the 50% limit. 

So turn one, I can throw every unit with TDA onto the table?

And the other Query that I had was is it wise to drop in the same movement turn the Deathwing Terminators and then position Belial so that Belial come in where they're supposed to be, behind the wall of TDA.

Yes, all TDA doing a DWA can come down first turn. You could also declare that certain units are doing a regular deep strike and roll for reserves as normals - that's the method you would need to DWA and the following turn have others come in on Belials homer. Though its probably wise to just have them all come down in support of each other in the first place.

I think your second question is a "what order should I deep strike units in", right? Since Belial an sqaud come in without any scatter, I think it makes sense to drop your other sqauds that do scatter first, yes. This way you will avoid scattering into your own models. Then Belail comes down (I would give him the big 10 man sqaud in many cases) to fill the gap.

So by that logic, if I want to get Belial and his command squad on the table with the other terminators all at once, is it sensible to lump the terminators into a squad together as a ten man unit, which would be 1 squad and then drop them along with Belial and his command squad, since a command squad does not take up space on a force allocation chart.

FOC slot usage is not a relevant consideration, since how many units can be reserved is dependent on the number of units in your army, not the number of occupied FOC slots in your army. For instance, a RAS now represents (up to) three separate units (bikes, attack bike and land speeder) for deployment, reserves and First Blood purposes but only takes up one FOC slot.

Archived