Painting Backlog...yeesh...

Pbenner

Need to find some painting motivation.  Right now, I have a huge backlog for getting things painted.  Have everything cleaned // pre-assembly // primed but need to get on the stick with the painting...

Currently have:

Belial (LPC Vow - Has his Bone White on, Green is next)

New Command Squad

10 Deathwing Knights

20 Terminators of Various Loadouts (Including Plasma Cannons + Fist, Assault Cannon + Fist, TH//SS, Dual LC, and SB//PF builds)

1 Venerable Dreadnought

1 Land Raider Crusader

2 Land Raider Godhammers

1 Land Raider Ares

1 Land Raider Terminus Ultra

Where would you begin?  I have enough fully painted to play, but need to keep the process rolling.  Have to get a few more bits to get some other stuff ready for priming...

Paul

I find the best thing to do is put everything away except for one squad. Work on that one squad until you are happy with it.

Don't sit there and look at a huge pile of figures to paint up. It's too much.

When you have that first squad where you want it you leave it out as you start the next character or vehicle or squad. This way you're army builds but as finished squads at a time.

Once you have 4+ nice looking units when you bring out a new squad you will say, "It's time to make these look good as the rest"

I would paint something awsome (Say a dread, or a land raider) first. Then do something else like 5-10 terminators, and reward myself with another land raider or dread when im done with those. Ofc you can swap around on the order if you prefere painting terminators to land raiders.

I started throwing paint on the Dreadnought last night.  It needs a second coat of Ushabti Bone now, and then can move onto the large metallic sections (legs).  

I am not a great painter, but I do well enough to table-top standard.  I've come a long way since I started painting models, but there is so much more I would love to learn.  For now, I call my style a "Three Color Scheme" with more work put into the details.  I don't understand highlighting, and no matter where I look, I still don't think I could accomplish a good job of it.  

I also have my entire army on bases that get painted before the models can be attached.  I've got 15 40mm bases done, and the 60mm for the Dread, but I need to get the other 25 finished.  They need a bath in watered down white glue to seal the cork and then to get primed.  That's also on todays list.  

We'll see how it goes.

Best,

Paul

Well,

Here is the Dreadnought.  I did not glue the arms on, as they friction fit just fine, and I painted all the ranged options he came with, so I can do Plasma, Las, or Assault Cannon for that arm.

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss129/pbenner2250/photobucket-43615-1360535734125_zps95851298.jpg 

I see a few places I need to touch up after final assembly, but I'll get there soon.

Going to go with Belial and the new Command Squad next.

Best,

Paul

Successful Sunday.

On top of the Dread being finished, I've also done the other 26 bases fully painted and grassed, so they're ready for terminators to go on them, and I've gotten one coat of bleached bone on 2/5 in the command squad.

Belial got his Green (large patches) still need to get into recesses and do touchups.  Have a picture to update my thread, will do that soon.  

I think after Belial and the Command Squad, I'm going to focus on a unit of (10) Terminators, but it will be more like (3) Sarges, (2) Plasma Cannons, (1) Assault Cannon, and (4) PF//SB guys, to give me a little more variety in what I have able to be put on the table top.  

Best,

Paul

No game tonight after work. I think I should be able to put a full night of painting down. Belial might get finished up, with his Command Squad next in line.

I suck at painting faces, so I am not looking forward to that part, but I will get through it. Tonight will be Beached Bone on all the command squad, plus second coats and touch ups, then onto other major colors (DA Green and Blood Red). We will see how far we get.

Paul

Archived