How to use Shroud of Heroes?

Upstartes

Given how pricey the Shroud is, I suspect there's no use for it in a really competitive list. However, it's such an interesting piece of wargear that I'd like to use it in some friendly games. But how do you get the most out of it?

The best I've cone up with is an interrogator chaplain on a bike, who's job is to charge through ridiculous odds and throw himself at characters or squishy squads.

Anyone else have a fun Shroud f Heroes idea?

The best I've cone up with is an interrogator chaplain on a bike, who's job is to charge through ridiculous odds and throw himself at characters or squishy squads.

I had the same thought.  With a Porta-Rack to get Fear and P:E and use your opponent's Teleport Homers in a double wing list.  Could be fun.  Would make for a great model!

I think an Interrogator-Chaplain on a bike with Mace of Redemption running solo could actually be very feasible. With the Shroud, Mace, and Bike, he has:

-Fearless

-Re-rolls all to Hits on the Charge

-5 S7 AP3 Initiative 5 attacks on the charge (becomes AP2 and re-rolls to wounds of 1 against CSM)

-Toughness 5 with FNP (so always gets FNP except against Force Weapons or S10 weapons)

-Has Shrouded USR when solo, so when he Turbo-boosts, has a 2+ cover save (Jink + Turbo-boost + Shrouded), combined with his high toughness and FNP and a regular bolter would take 40 shots to cause a single wound. Even a Lascannon would take 16 shots to cause a single wound on average.

All of this means that he is VERY likely to get into combat if he turbo-boosts the first turn, enabling him to tie up a key enemy unit in CC early on and/or eliminate a critical component of the enemy's force. Since he has such great mobility, the I-C will likely always get the charge and be able to pick who he is charging (i.e. avoiding units with 2+ saves, since they are the ones most dangerous to him).

I can see this "lone wolf Linebacker" unit being very effective at catching units like Tau Battlesuits in CC, tying up IG Blob Squads so they cannot shoot (and even possibly killing them off via "Sweeping Advance"), intercepting DE Jetbikes that are trying to run amok around your army, assaulting Necron Warrior blocks in order to prevent them from shooting and glancing to death one of your Land Raiders with their Gauss weaponry, etc., etc.

Bottom line is, I think this would require some skill to employ and does have some risk (a lone, somewhat pricey character fighting all by himself), but the benefits could be very tangible if integrated deftly with the rest of your army.

I think an Interrogator-Chaplain on a bike with Mace of Redemption running solo could actually be very feasible. With the Shroud, Mace, and Bike, he has:

-Fearless

-Re-rolls all to Hits on the Charge

-5 S7 AP3 Initiative 5 attacks on the charge (becomes AP2 and re-rolls to wounds of 1 against CSM)

-Toughness 5 with FNP (so always gets FNP except against Force Weapons or S10 weapons)

-Has Shrouded USR when solo, so when he Turbo-boosts, has a 2+ cover save (Jink + Turbo-boost + Shrouded), combined with his high toughness and FNP and a regular bolter would take 40 shots to cause a single wound. Even a Lascannon would take 16 shots to cause a single wound on average.

All of this means that he is VERY likely to get into combat if he turbo-boosts the first turn, enabling him to tie up a key enemy unit in CC early on and/or eliminate a critical component of the enemy's force. Since he has such great mobility, the I-C will likely always get the charge and be able to pick who he is charging (i.e. avoiding units with 2+ saves, since they are the ones most dangerous to him).

I can see this "lone wolf Linebacker" unit being very effective at catching units like Tau Battlesuits in CC, tying up IG Blob Squads so they cannot shoot (and even possibly killing them off via "Sweeping Advance"), intercepting DE Jetbikes that are trying to run amok around your army, assaulting Necron Warrior blocks in order to prevent them from shooting and glancing to death one of your Land Raiders with their Gauss weaponry, etc., etc.

Bottom line is, I think this would require some skill to employ and does have some risk (a lone, somewhat pricey character fighting all by himself), but the benefits could be very tangible if integrated deftly with the rest of your army.

I like this idea. I realllllly like this idea. However, I just can't get over the price tag. The int chap on the bike with shroud of heroes and mace of redemption is 210 pts. Also, since this guy is basically on a suicide mission, you wouldn't want him to be your warlord since he will die eventually. That means you're paying for this guy on top of whatever other HQ you have. So as much as I like this idea, it's really just too inefficient for me. That being said, I'm still very curious about how people would use the shroud effectively.

Don't need to turbo boost to gain the 2+. Independent characters have the Skilled Rider ability giving the Chaplain +1 to his Jink. Combine this with Shrouded and he has a 2+ cover save just for moving...

I wish that were still true, would be very nice ;) .... unfortunately, ICs automatically came with Skilled Rider in 5th edition, but no longer in 6th.

Currently, the only IC with Skilled Rider (at least from a Space Marine Codex) is Samael.

With regard to the high price tag/suicide mission issue, I agree that it is quite possible to throw away your expensive investment with little return for you pains. That said, I think the mobility afforded by the Bike (24" move with Turbo-boost) really can allow you to use the I-C like a scapel and position him precisiely where he needs to be, both for follow-on assaulting and for minimizing incoming fire from weapons that can hurt him significantly.

Also, I think you have to consider, even with his high points cost, what is the "value" of the effect that you get from him? If the I-C, Bike, Mace, and Shroud cost over 200 points, but he ends up intercepting a Tau Commander and Crises Team and taking them out of the fight for several turns by tying them up in CC (or even killing them outright), then arguably he has made his "value" back.

Another thing to consider when looking at his points cost and relative value is the "threat potential" he brings to the army. If you are running an otherwise entirely foot-slogging army of DW and/or Greenwing forces, then the Biker I-C makes your opponent consider who they move into the his assault "threat ring" .... 12" + 2D6", which averages 19"... those footslogging 20 man CSM squads or massed Gargolye units can't move into your deployment zone and tie up your main forces if they are stuck in CC with the Biker I-C. In this sense, despite his cost, the Biker I-C with Mace/Shroud is an "economy of force" unit, tying up/distracting/neutralizing a disproportionate amount of the enemy's combat power, thereby freeing up your own combat power in order to "overmatch" the rest of the enemy army.

I wish that were still true, would be very nice msn-wink.gif .... unfortunately, ICs automatically came with Skilled Rider in 5th edition, but no longer in 6th.

Currently, the only IC with Skilled Rider (at least from a Space Marine Codex) is Samael.

IC's don't need the rule. It's an SR of bikes now, along with Hammer of Wrath, and relentless. (which makes Sammael having it kinda redundant)

Nevermind that, must have been thinking of Jink while looking it up. I'll just go back to my desk and await our next 'guest' in Chamber 42. >_>

(guess I've been away too long, and got excited >_< )

Bikes, on page 45 of the BGB, have Hammer of Wrath, Jink, and Relentless special rules. No Skilled Rider there. And the Ravenwing Bikers entry on page 47 of the C:DA doesn't have Skilled Rider either, but the Black Knights do.

IC's don't need the rule. It's an SR of bikes now, along with Hammer of Wrath, and relentless.  (which makes Sammael having it kinda redundant)

No. Basic Bikes (and Jetbikes) only have the Hammer of Wrath, Jink, Relentless and Very Bulky special rules. They do not come with the Skilled Rider rule by default.

Ways to get a 2+ cover save without going flat out include:

-Moving (Jink Save) + Shroud (Shrouding) + having a Dark Shroud within 6" (Stealth) = 2+ Cover

-Sitting in 4+ cover terrain (i.e. Aegis Line) + Shroud (Shrouding) = 2+ Cover

So, while you can go Flat Out and get a 2+ cover with no external help, you can also use other items in your army/battlefield to keep this IC survivable.

That sparks another interesting idea: Company Master + Shroud of Heroes behind Aegis line operating the quad gun. Maybe a techmarine with powerfield along as well to protect the quad gun? Not as exciting as a hell's angel on a bike, but interesting nevertheless.

Hmmm, yes. A Company Master with AA and shroud, manning a Quadgun would have 2++ cover save against almost all attacks and a 2+ save against attacks that ignore cover (i.e. Helldrake, Collosus, etc.), plus would have FNP and would make for a very accurate Quadgun (TLed BS5 shooting with Precision Shots for Character).

Very intriguing, though of course, doesn't bring too much else to the army for all those points (if he got the WL trait of being a Scoring uniy, I guess he could hold and Objective in your DZ).

Don't forget the Iron Halo for the odd wound that did get through the the Artificer Armour. It would effectively render him as near to unkillable from range as you can get. He is, as you say, a lot of points though

Archived