Using Dualists

Captain Idaho

True. Love the guy in fluff lists though.

Sometimes it is fun to let the beast loose.

Reading this thread I lean toward axe and maul load out.

I do have an awsome axe. However where do mauls come from....

Never seen a stork carry one of those

I bought a DA one of Ebay. Not sure on the source but I cut the hand off and stuck it to an assault Marine arm as it looked a little big.

I'm fairly happy with the budget Axe and Maul combo. Marines hate axes and they are comparable to lightning claw in efficiency whilst power mauls wound many non-Marines on a 2+ at initiative.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Drunk Guardian

So I'd like to model a character (Wolf Lord) with two power swords, but then not pay 30 points with only AP:3 +1 A.

I don't play tournament scene... so if you guys and gals were approached by someone you play with the idea of using two swords on the model but "counts-as" (lets say axe/sword or axe/maul) would you be opposed to it? I'd obviously pay the correct amount of points for whatever combo I went with... I just want the model to have the dual sword look...

True. Love the guy in fluff lists though.

Sometimes it is fun to let the beast loose.

Reading this thread I lean toward axe and maul load out.

I do have an awsome axe. However where do mauls come from....

Never seen a stork carry one of those

The Dark Angel Veterans box set. Left-handed power maul.

EDIT:

So I'd like to model a character (Wolf Lord) with two power swords, but then not pay 30 points with only AP:3 +1 A.

I don't play tournament scene... so if you guys and gals were approached by someone you play with the idea of using two swords on the model but "counts-as" (lets say axe/sword or axe/maul) would you be opposed to it? I'd obviously pay the correct amount of points for whatever combo I went with... I just want the model to have the dual sword look...

Unfortunately in this edition, the shape of your power weapon does matter. I personally would not care though. As you say, you're not on the tourney scene, so with that in mind, I doubt anyone is going to troll you out for it.

Well you could go the Power Sword/chain sword combo to give ap3 and +1 attack also would be 15 points cheaper but still give you the 2 sword look, a close combat blade would work as well.

I would be perfectly happy to let you count a power sword as a close combat weapon for the sake of a cool-looking model without wasting points. Counting it as a power axe? Not so much.

Guest Drunk Guardian

I would be perfectly happy to let you count a power sword as a close combat weapon for the sake of a cool-looking model without wasting points. Counting it as a power axe? Not so much.

Just to clarify, if I was going to go the axe route then I'd pay the full 30 points, leaving the issue to just the model itself.

In casual matches, nobody sane should have a problem with you proxying that.

In tournaments, however, models need to be WYSIWYG, so no.

If you want to have a dual sword, but want one to count as an axe, why not  find an enormous, claymore type sword to count as an axe? It would be clearly different enough from a normal sword, and you still get your two sword look.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried out twin Mauls a while back, but mainly because my buddy was playing a Green Tide.

I died eventually, but the now-retired Captain ended up with 6 Nob kills, and taking enough wounds off his Boss that my enraged command squad carved the damn pig into pork chops.

Honestly, I'm going one of two ways nowadays though. Either super-pricey (TDA, SS, TH or something similar) for targeting MC's,  or uber cheap (Plasma pistol. That's it. Nothing else) for blending with a Tac squad and spending points elsewhere.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I dont play to often but want to go for the axe/maul combo.  My Captain that I want to use is my Legions of the Damned Sgt. He already have a nice axe and I will replace the plasma pistol fith an old Chaos Termie Maul I found in my bits box. I think this will look really nice.

I really think lightning claw + power fist is the way to go. It is only 10 more points, but more effective.

Axe vs PF is no contest. The only difference is S5 vs S8. But S8 lets you hurt lots more things, wound almost anything on a 2+, and insta-kills T4.

A lightning claw scores 50% more wounds than a power sword when against T4. A power mace scores 11% more wounds than a lightning claw vs T4, but it is also AP4 vs the claw's AP3.

If you are going to run two close combat weapons on a captain, for only 10 more points you increase the killiness by a whole lot.

Archived