drakkhenkc

Page 97 in IG codex, regarding Infantry Squads, specifically Heavy Weapons Team (HWT)

"Replace two Guardsmen with a HWT armed with one of the following"

Is this a mandatory replacement?

The exact wording is also used for Company Command Squad, Platoon Command Squad, and Veteran Squad entries.

Well obviously it is a requirement, anything quoted from the sacred codex is the Emperor's holy word, so it must be followed to the letter of the law.

Well obviously it is a requirement, anything quoted from the sacred codex is the Emperor's holy word, so it must be followed to the letter of the law.

^QFT you have to bring a heavy weapon team when it doesn't give you the option to do otherwise. also check page 24, it'l help answer your queston.

Much thanks for the response, but I should check page 24 in which codex?

No, you don't have to take a HWT.

Everything in that right-hand column (sergeant may exchange his laspistol for;... etc) is under the heading OPTIONS. Hence you do not have to form a Heavy Weapon Team from 2 guardsmen.

No, you don't have to take a HWT.

Everything in that right-hand column (sergeant may exchange his laspistol for;... etc) is under the heading OPTIONS. Hence you do not have to form a Heavy Weapon Team from 2 guardsmen.

Kierdale, much thanks for the response.

I considered that could be the case, however, the wording for every other entry under OPTIONS includes a 'may' statement.

"One other Veteran may..." or "The entire squad may..."  (emphasis mine)

The wording of the HWT does not include "may" which to me suggests a mandatory replacement.

"Replace two other Guardsmen with a HWT..."  There is no "may" in the entry.

Page 97 in IG codex, regarding Infantry Squads, specifically Heavy Weapons Team (HWT)

"Replace two Guardsmen with a HWT armed with one of the following"

Is this a mandatory replacement?

The exact wording is also used for Company Command Squad, Platoon Command Squad, and Veteran Squad entries.

The simple answer to your question is "yes and no".

The HW Team option is the only one in the list without a "may" in the sentence, indicating that it is not optional.  So "yes" it is a mandatory replacement.

Compaired to the Codex: Space Wolves Long Fangs entry which reads "Each Long Fang apart from the Squad Leader must replace his bolt pistol with one of the following:", C:SW, pg.92, clearly indicating a mandatory selection.  So "no" it is not mandatory.

The real answer is discuss it with your gaming group, and come to a consensus.  If it concerns you that you might get called out in a pick-up game or tournament - then always take the option.  A Missile Launcher is never a bad option.

Just a quick addendum: the Chimera list the option "

"Replace multilaser with heavy flamer or heavy bolter ... free

Replace heavy bolter with heavy flamer ... free", C:IG, pg. 99
Yet I always see Chimeras with turret multilasers and hull heavy bolters...

Page 89 of the IG Codex:

Options: This section lists all of the upgrades you may add to the unit if you wish to do so...

What Morollan said.

And honestly, in all the IG forums out there there are plenty of army lists with unupgraded infantry squads, and I've never seen anyone even question if that's legal.  Don't worry about it - you won't ever get accosted with this.

Archived