Apothecary load out.

[TA]Typher

I recently started kitbashing a few needed members of my Dark Angels army. After checking and rechecking I realized that an apothecary only gets a chaiinsword... golly gee?

Not even a bolt pistol. That's just sad. I really hope this was an oversite by GW.

I would think that a regular command squad vet could upgrade his chainsword per the "any veteran may replace his chainsword...", and then you could upgrade that vet to an apoth, replacing bolt pistol with narthecium. Of corse there is debate on this.

I don't think that is legal. If it is... It just seems like it's circumventing the rules. I just wish it was in black and white.

I was firmly against this at first, then I was pointed at the OrK FAQ where the nob can do excactly that. From a shoota boy Swap equipment and change to nob. So it should (taken with caution) be possible to swap the chainsword BUT not the boltpistol since its required for the upgrade.

Till a definitive answer is given (another FAQ perhaps) I would keep him with a chain sword (mine has one arleady pheeeww).

The command squad entry says

"every veteran can upgrade..."

Is the apothecary a veteran? NO he's an apothecary so the apotecary is stuck with his mandatory equipment of PA, narthecium and chainsword...

The RW apothecary has always PA, RW bike with plasmatalon, narthecium and corvus hammer...

The DW apotecary always has TDA, SB and narthecium...

NO upgrades on the apothecary (and the Champion too)... Only the banner bearer can get upgrades cause he is still a Veteran of the squad...

I dont mind the orks FAQ... they are orks not DA... :)

The command squad entry says

"every veteran can upgrade..."

Is the apothecary a veteran? NO he's an apothecary so the apotecary is stuck with his mandatory equipment of PA, narthecium and chainsword...

The RW apothecary has always PA, RW bike with plasmatalon, narthecium and corvus hammer...

The DW apotecary always has TDA, SB and narthecium...

NO upgrades on the apothecary (and the Champion too)... Only the banner bearer can get upgrades cause he is still a Veteran of the squad...

I dont mind the orks FAQ... they are orks not DA... smile.png

As I said I am on the SAME SIDE, however there is a precedence and it should be taken into consideration before we jump to conclusions.

Brothers,

let's not start the same discussion over again - it will lead to no

conclusion, same as all the ones before. We all know the arguments for

and against giving apothecary all the veteran upgrades.

Agreed but as I get it from the first post, thats the whole point of the thread: How to equip the apothecarry.

Ok, but it should be "How to legally equip the apothecary". ;) And the issue is, right now we do not know for sure if we are allowed to upgrade veteran before turning him into apothecary or not. I just don't wish to have yet another thread debating legality of this (the latest incarnation is now hotly debated in OR section).

Stacking multiple upgrades implies/relies-on some sort of timing step existing during list design, which is obviously not the case.

I am on the same school of thought but take a moment and read the Ork faq:

Q. If a Boyz mob exchange sluggas and choppas

with shootas, can a Nob take a power klaw or a

big choppa?

A. You may upgrade the Nob to have a big

choppa or power klaw before you choose to

upgrade the mob to have shootas, in which case

the Nob is not affected by the mob’s weapon

swap (as he no longer has a choppa to swap),

does not receive a shoota and keeps his slugga

and power klaw/big choppa instead. He is a lot

happier that way!

I think that before in there sets a precedent about the timing on the upgrades.

I love the Warhammer fluff.

I guess my biggest complaint is that the according to the fluff an Apothecary's narthecium is already considered a CC weapon (Not that I would consider it would grant an extra attack). It would have been nice to at least have a bolter or pistol on him instead of a weapon that he really shouldn't need.

Anyway I didn't mean to start another whole debate about the rules as written. I was just disappointed fluff-wise about how this option doesn't make sense. It would be like giving a giving a terminator a chainsword instead of his stormbolter. Just useless.

Archived