Chaos storm eagle gunship

Plaguecaster

Yeah, but the new rules explicitly say "you cannot assault on the turn you arrive from reserves", and the assault vehicle rules just say "you can assault if you disembarked", nothing about overriding the reserves rule.

Q: Do Transports with the Assault Vehicle special rule permit

their passengers to charge on the turn they arrive from Reserve?

(p33)

A: No.

That sucks why give a flyer assault vehicle if you can't assault ehen it arrives from reserves kind of defys the whole pointt, oh well just means I have to change tactics when it come in from reserve I will use it to ferry a squad or two to an objective blasting stuff if it still survives Plague marines hop on then fly at enemy jump out then assault them, it may be a bit more risky but could pay off

So that the flier can arrive in zooming mode, then next turn hover and disgorge its unit to charge into melee.

A flier with assault transport can arrive zooming on one turn, and drop its unit on the next whereupon they can assault into close combat.  Otherwise, the flier needs to arrive in hover and drop the unit immediately for them to assault the next turn, which results in a flier & unit much more vulnerable to shooting during the enemy turn.

Look what i've got.

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/4636/img1552d.jpg

10 yrs ago, when the Experimental rules was still amongst stuff WD did, there whas the DIY Vehicles creation rules, fun times, with large blast Plasma cannon linked with small Blast S10 Lascans Dreads at 190pts...

So my friend did some Dropships for his marines with these Aliens Colonial Marines Dropships, he has 8 of them.

He then used them as Stormravens when there was no stormraven kit when playing his BA.

And now that there is Stormravens kits, he doesn't use them anymore, why the heavy coat of dust, and he planned to crash and burn them to make covers and terrains...

i quickly grabbed 2 of them for 20 quid a piece, been 10 years that i try to find a pair of those for cheap, finally!!

So i decided to use them as basis for additional Stormeagles!!!

lets the Kitbash begin!

Quickly going back to the usefulness of the Storm Eagle on the tabletop, is the lack of PotMS REALLY such a big damn deal for it? It only has two weapons standard as it is, both of which are geared towards infantry-killing, and thus will be firing at the same target anyway. The only real benefit would be to mostly ignore crew shaken/stunned results, and if your opponent is able to land penetrating hits on your flier you have bigger things to worry about. This is done in the mindset of a casual player, I know that tourney lists tend to have AA all over the place, but in my local club there are very few fliers, and therefore not much AA.

Of course, I'm still going to be building one later in the year either way and happily running it PotMS or not.

Well in the case of PotMS, on a flyer, it is a bit mitigated(?).

While a land vehicle can shoot an additional weapon thanks to PotMS, if it move more then 6", a flyer can always shoot with 4 weapons no matter how far he has moved.

Now, the real deal about PotMS, is that you can fire with it on a different target, wich lets be honest is really darn usefull.

With a LR, you fire the lascans at a vehicle/walker/MC, and the HB's at another light vehicle or infantry unit.

As a flyer i think this is the most important thing we lack, because while you can take Twin Multimelta and Missiles/Lascans for Flyer hunting or vehicule destroying, the vengeance missile launchers, arn't used.

With PotMS, you could fire your Anti tank weapons ona Flyer/Tank, AND fire your vengeance missiles on big units of troops with his big blast S5.

Sadly the launchers remain silent for a good portion of the game.

But for the no Shaken, stunned, part, Deamonic Possesion is good, but yeah the biggest snort of crack when they did write that rule down was the -1 BS...

See, I'm not planning on taking any of the tank-hunting gear on it to start with, as such upgrades are REALLY expensive and kinda preclude the use of the Vengeance Launcher. So really, there is nothing that PotMS does for me.

Except Land Raiders don't fly.

Exactly. The two vehicles are completely different, so cannot really be compared. A Land Raider is an anti-vehicle assault tank that relies on its AV14 to keep it alive, whereas the Storm Eagle is focused on killing blobs dead and has its status as a flier to protect it. The Land Raider also does not have the ability to move and fire all of its weapons at full BS, and has a rather schizophrenic weapons loadout. The Eagle, on the other hand, can fly around the table happily blowing up infantry, which all of its base weapons are designed for.

Sure, PotMS would be handy if you were going to take the lascannons, and I probably would consider paying the steep points cost for them if we had it. However, we aren't filthy loyalist scumbags, so instead my FLYING ASSAULT TRANSPORT (yes, the caps there is completely justified) will have to settle for being the bane of infantry everywhere.

Archived