Sneaky good firebase or pipe dream?

antacidbrn

I am still somewhat new to the game, but I think I stumbled upon an overlooked DA tactic.   I was flipping through the DA codex and realized I never take advantage of the Techmarine.  I quickly drew up an interesting combo that could make a nice addition to a Multi-wing list.  it is based on the special rules and wargear of the techmarine.  Here are my thoughts:

Techmarine with two Plasma Cannon Servitors and the Power Field Generator.  Next a unit of Devastators with your choice of Heavy Weapons.  I am planning 3 Missile Launchers and a Plasma Cannon at this time.  You can add a few extra marines to the unit for wound taking goodness. 

Strategy: Bolster a ruin in your deployment zone and use PFG to stack and give the unit an amazing cover save (2+ by my count).  Fire 6 heavy weapon shots every turn while Deathwing and Ravenwing do what they do.  The servitors have BS3, but because of Plasma Scatter, they still hit a 3rd of the time.  Add to that the ML (Flakk or otherwise), and you have an amazing all around unit on paper.  If you get assaulted, the Techmarine has Artificer Armor and is an Independant Character who can tie up the assaulting unit or challenge. 

Yes, this unit is expensive, 350-400 points fully kitted out, but for the survivability, I like the value here.  Also, I like the fact that the range of the shooting compliments units such as Belial and Deep Striking Deathwing Knights.  The downside is that the unit must remain static, and cannot assault, but that is not a bad thing in my opinion.  Has anyone tried this tactic before?

Archived