Black Templar Allies

Tiger9gamer

Alright, so with rumors of the Templars getting a new flyer, I think I want to grab them for some anti-air and for some more close combat punch. What would be a good idea to take for a cheap ally including the flyer for under 500pts?

(I know the Space marines will get the flyer too, but I want to to something different for them)

Well, likely BT will get the Stormraven for 200 points, just like BA version, so I would recommend:

-Tricked out Marshal (190)

-20 Man Crusader Squad (260 points)

-Stormraven (200 points)

Thats about 650 points, so more than you intended, but still quite good. Attatch Marshal and Azrael to the Crusader Squad and you have quite a Deathstar unit, that is also scoring (see thread below for details):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/270574-azrael-crusader-sqd-bodyguard/

The Crusader squad can be as small as a 5 man squad. They're a pretty good troop choice (the BT's only troop choice) and can be kitted out in a number of ways. If you want them to be shooty a 5 man squad with bolters, a special weapon and a heavy weapon will run about 95 pts to 106 pts, this kind of squad is used in BT gunline armies. If you want them to be choppy the 20 man crusader squad is a good option with a special weapon and a close combat weapon (power weapon or a fist) thses guys will usually run up to 285 pts. Also we can include up to 10 neophytes (scouts) in our crusader squads and up to 10 initiates (regular marines).

The BT don't have that many options when it comes to close combat. Are best units are argueably the 15+ crusader squad led by a chaplain and our assault terminators, we have other units that are ok at close combat but nothing to really write home about (triple power weapon bikers and assault squads fit this catagory). The small cc crusader squads are not viable anymore since you can no longer assault out of transports and leaving them on foot means that they will die pretty fast (thus giving away First Blood) or not have the numbers needed to win once they assault. Small crusader squads are only good for shooting or for MM bunkers.

Dang, I really hoped to have T5 FNP Furious charge Deathwing knights with hatred from a chaplain in there X-X oh well.

So my idea is:

Librarian with jump pack

7 man tactical squad with flamers galore

Stormraven

how much would this be? And what armament should I give the raven?

The BT don't have that many options when it comes to close combat. Are best units are argueably the 15+ crusader squad led by a chaplain and our assault terminators, we have other units that are ok at close combat but nothing to really write home about (triple power weapon bikers and assault squads fit this catagory). The small cc crusader squads are not viable anymore since you can no longer assault out of transports and leaving them on foot means that they will die pretty fast (thus giving away First Blood) or not have the numbers needed to win once they assault. Small crusader squads are only good for shooting or for MM bunkers.

I'm inclined to disagree.

An Emperor's Champion with Accept any Challenge makes BT Initiates strike with 4 Attacks each on the charge... Coming from a MEQ standpoint, that's great!

An Emperor's Champion with Suffer Not the Unclean to Live makes all BTs have +1 Str ( and -1 Init, which in a lot of circumstances doesn't make that big a difference, I find).  Str5 Marines are just awesome. 

The EC is vital for giving BT that close-combat edge for the Crusader squads.

Well, 3 things:

1: It surprises me that Kastor Krieg didn't start this thread (or even posted in it.

2: You want to ally yourself with the Black Heretics?

And 3: What's wrong with a TLLC Nephilim?

In another thread or two the conclusion was that a TLLC Nephilim ain't that bad at anti-air, and is certainly much cheaper than using allies.

Other bits aside, and even understanding the elbow ribbing I don't see how 'black heretic' is remotely appropriate to use as a dig against BTs.

OT: while I'm sure a TLLC neph does alright I don't doubt a Stormraven is better. You really have to ask if the HQ and troops you need to get it can be a functional part of your army.

Archived