RAS or Black Knights?

Upstartes

I'm still trying to decide how to flesh out my current models into a larger force. I'm building up both DW and RW -- so my large lists will be dual wing, while smaller games might be more single-wing or greenwing with extras.

With regard to RW, I am now faced with a specific choice between two options:

Option 1:

RAS #1 - Full

6x bikes (already own)

1 attack bike (already own)

1 speeder (already own)

RAS #2 - Full

6x bikes (already own)

1 speeder (purchase required)

Option 2:

RAS #1 - Full. Identical to counterpart in Option 1

RAS #2 - Small

3x bikes (already own)

Black Knight Squad

6x black knights (convert 3 bikes I already own, buy a BK box)

So....

Any thoughts on which will work better in a large dual-wing list? What about in a RW + Greenwing support list? For some reason, I am drawn to the idea of two full RAS squads. However, people are raving about the Black Knights, so I remain conflicted.

They have other uses as well. Let's not forget all those lovely twin-linked plasma guns.

I think it's hard to say no to Black Knights if you're running a Ravenwing-heavy list. Just too darn good at so many different things. I wouldn't take more than one or two units, though, putting the rest of your points into RAS's.

got to be honest - the black knights are an oustanding unit. great mid ranged firepower, solid in combat, sneaksy options, survivable with the 4++ cover save.

BUT, in a doublewing army using deathwing, the bikes are a support unit, not a hammer unit. they are there for harrasment, objective contesting, tank hunting etc.

The knights serve a different role. they are the big nasty hammer in a ravenwing or greenwing army

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I'll go with an Option 2 approach: keep my second RAS small and build up some BKs. I don't know if I'll use them in my dual-wing lists, but it will be fun to have them available for RW-heavy lists. Plus I'm scratch-building a Sammael model, and he seems like he needs some knights to ride with.

Archived