Heavy Support Help

Blank05

Hey there all! Blank here!

I need advice from my bros here. I need to fill out my Heavy Support choice, but I'm not sure which of them to choose. I run a mixed wing army with all Terminators as troops, bikes for homers and two dreads with auotcannons. I already have 1 Predator, so I need to choose my other two slots. Here are my concerns:

Devastators- While I know that they are pretty much a staple in our lists now and they pack a wallop against Flyers, I'd like to deviate from the norm and I don't like to field Power Armour if I can help it, that's for other chapters to do.

Predators- My main concern with Predators is that I already have one and I'm unsure of their synergy with each other.

Whirlwinds- Low strength weapons, as far as heavy weapons go, and its very tall especially for a Rhino variant making it hard to hide.

Land Raider (All Variants)- Way too many points. My Terminators can deep strike, so it's unneeded.

Land Speeder Vengeance- Low Armour, 2 Hull Points, twice the size of a normal speeder, and the possibility of it glancing itself to death. I'm very unsure about this choice. Anyone have success with it?

Anyway, what do you guys think? What has been working for you?

Add a second Predator as it's best to field two (Autocannon and Lascan spons). Giving 4x ML Devastators with Flakks some love on top of Preds would compliment your list. Whirlwinds are cool but again they work best in pairs.

Predators provide some nice anti-tank firepower and Devastators are very flexible (anti-tank, anti-horde, anti-air). Depends on what you already have in your list really.

Preds + Devs is safest bet. Especially considering their current costs smile.png

Auto las predators are best in packs of 2+. they do provide something that DW armies lack. Long range anti tank for cheap. Hell you could take 2 for cheaper than a landraider.

Vindicators are always good. 1 will get blown up in the first turn so take two. everyone hates the pie plate so these guys become priority 1 for your opponent. if your opponent is shooting at them they're not shooting at your terminators.

Why would you take the Hyperios over ML Devastators?  Genuinely curious. :)  With only a single TL shot, I wonder how useful it is for its points vs 4 Flakk missiles (admittedly at something like double the cost).

You're forgetting another option: vindicators.

Seriously, a pair of vindicators serves 2 purposes: destroying anything the ordnance lands on, and almost as importantly- detracting fire from the rest of your force.  Having 2 vindicators generally keeps the rest of the army safe for 3-4 turns (based on 5th edition experience, haven't tried it in 6th), and really intimidates most players with the large high strength, low AP blast.  Your opponent may be so distracted trying to take out the vindicators, that his attention may falter long enough for you to monopolize on it elsewhere.  

If you were to couple the vindicators with the predator- the pred could sit in the back and fire off anti vehicle shots at leman russes, chaos land raiders, etc. or even pepper infantry from a further distance as the pie plate lobbers stroll across the battlefield.

Why would you take the Hyperios over ML Devastators? Genuinely curious. :) With only a single TL shot, I wonder how useful it is for its points vs 4 Flakk missiles (admittedly at something like double the cost).

One word...Interceptor.

Why not one Pred, one Vindie and one Hyperios? Covers all your bases nicely.

:D

Stobz

For my multiwing i will try this combo...

2 predators AC+LC and one LSV in DS

The 2 preds get the 4++ from a lasplas RB with a combat squad with attached tech.

The LSV will come down using the homer of a CoVets drop pod.

So the enemy will have to deal with vets, termies and LSV coming from DS and the armoured spearhead coming from the front.

Hope it will work good

I don't like to field Power Armour if I can help it, that's for other chapters to do.

As a longtime Greenwing guy--hell, as the guy who actually coined that term--I take extreme affront and hereby deliver a virtual slap across your heretic face! As penance, I demand you field Devastators in your army list.

More seriously, devs are great, but they might be too immobile for your list. Go vindis and preds.

If you're allowed FW and points aren't limited (as you haven't set a points limit), go mortis contemptor

hell, if you're running double autocannon dreads, its 5 points to "upgrade" them to FW mortis dreads. who get skyfire and intercept when stationary.

if you're sticking codex;

- whirlwinds are a nice compliment to deathwing, who traditionally struggle with hordes. blob squads are flavour du jour. whirlwinds can seriously impact them

- doubling up on your preds is not a bad idea

- devestators with flak missiles or (my personal fave) 4 plasma cannons (still better than the flying gets hot machine)

- double vindicator scares everyone and is a deathstar deterrant

@ferociousbeast- I'm sorry you feel that way, but our codex gives us so many other options that I feel it isn't our place to run power armour. Especially since we have on HQ that allows us to run both bikes and terminators as troops. I have nothing against Green Wing.

@everyone else- thanks for the input, I know I forgot about Vindicators. 2 Vindicators cost the same as another deathwing squad and that's my main issue there. I think I will run to whirlwinds, as it was put best that Deathwing traditionally struggle with blobs. Now the issue presents itself how to transport such a fat and tall model.

I tried running Double Whirlwind to backup a Ravenwing (and squad of DWK) army vs Ultramarines, my opponent and I had just started badmouthing how useless they seemed to be when they killed off an objective-camping Tactical Squad and a Sternguard squad! I am impressed by them overall, but they seem weirdly hit-or-miss, no pun intended. Maybe against an army with a worse save it'd work better, but MEQ is a large part of any metagame I can play in. Not bad at all, and I am considering fitting them into my usual Doublewing list somehow.

Plus one vote for the Vindicator camp.  I used to opt for nil deployment for ravenwing/deathwing lists but, now that we have to field half, I think a single vinidi is a good way to draw fire from the RAS to ensure the beacons are there when you need them. 

I have had the pleasure to play the valued Deathraven armies for several years now. If I was fielding your force as you mentioned it I would go with the assorted Dreads, TLAC for Anti Air. ML/TLLC for Anti Armour, and a standard DCC/ASSC in a Pod for Termi support. But hats just what I have found works.

Using the FW Mortis rules a TML would serve both AA & AA functions.

Archived