Two close combat weapons on Rawenwing?

John_f

The main difference with the previous codex is that the PW came IN ADDITION to the CCW. Now it REPLACES it

As a consequence you cannot claim the +1 A bonus.

You also cannot give your sgt a PW and a combi flamer.

Btw I find the position of GW kinda annoying concerning 2 CCW and bikes:

- they allowed them in v3 but forbidden it at the end of v3

-they allowed it again in v4 and v5 but the doubt remained in lots of players' mind.

- they don't strictly forbid it now but prevent players to field it by entries restrictions...

I wonder what the general view on equipping the RW Sergeant with any CC upgrades is now.

Previously, I would default to a power sword on a 6 man unit, but nothing on a 3 man unit to keep it cheap for tank hunting. Now, with the veteran sergeant upgrade being optional, I have to allocate 25 points if I'm going to equip a power weapon, as there is no point giving one to a normal sergeant with only 1 base attack.

Any thoughts?

Well I don't consider it like allocate 25pts...

In the previous codex, the vet sgt upgrade was compulsory but not free you paid 120pts for the 1st 3 bikes but 100pts for the 3others

Hence you paid 35 pts for your vet sgt with PW.

I totally agree that giving a power weapon to a standard sgt is useless. They are here to be an ablative W OR receive a combi flamer/melta

However I'm considering giving a PF to a vet sgt. The rational behind that is I don't lose any attack comparing to a sgt on foot, the T5 is good to survive a possible challenge and it may help against tank as well.

i personnally dont like power weapons or any type of ccw on bike squads (apart from on black knights...) i prefer matching combiis with specials for when you need that extra shooot for say popping land raiders etc...

IMO theres no point now in CC upgrades. In last edition you could argue for a unit with +1 attack banner but now we have black knights. Besides that we have hit and run! Id trade combat options for hit and run all day every day. Cant say enough for this ability.

It doesnt match with the style of hit and run tactics. You need at least one hand to controll the bike and another to hit/shoot. So how are you gonna   fight with two hands. Plus I find it a bit silly that bikes get locked in CC without hit and run. So what happens? Do they charge then hit brakes, step down from the bike, fight, win, step up and go?

More likely they charge,slass and continue on. At least that makes some sense.

I wonder what the general view on equipping the RW Sergeant with any CC upgrades is now.

Previously,
I would default to a power sword on a 6 man unit, but nothing on a 3
man unit to keep it cheap for tank hunting. Now, with the veteran
sergeant upgrade being optional, I have to allocate 25 points if I'm
going to equip a power weapon, as there is no point giving one to a
normal sergeant with only 1 base attack.

Any thoughts?

He doesnt need it IMHO, if there is a bike unit that will go into CC thats the knights and they have a nifty weapon by default. Yesterday I blew a raider with it and melta bombs. All bikers should be not be charging or charging depleted squads IMHO making a power weapon even more redundant.

EDIT: That said if points allow it I might consider giving a power maul to the hunt master. He might instant death a couple of chaps after the rad and stasis grenades hit.

It doesnt match with the style of hit and run tactics. You need at least one hand to controll the bike and another to hit/shoot. So how are you gonna   fight with two hands. Plus I find it a bit silly that bikes get locked in CC without hit and run. So what happens? Do they charge then hit brakes, step down from the bike, fight, win, step up and go?

More likely they charge,slass and continue on. At least that makes some sense.

Well things are not that simple. Even a marine on a bike cannot just pass through an enemy squad and run. Sometimes they are blocked. Sometimes, they might make a circle with their bottom wheel to crush an enemy, put a foot on the ground and get his power weapon from its holster and strike.

40k tries to represent a global H2H, and models a global position of a warrior. But it doesn't mean that if a biker is represented driving with his 2 hands, he always does so. He may use one hand or even stop to fight.

Archived