Tactica: Sammael

L30n1d4s

I think one of the most interesting, and potentially most capable, units in the new DA Book is the Master of the Ravenwing, Sammael himself. As a combatant, as a force-multiplier, or both, I think he brings a great deal to an army (ravenwing or not) for his points.

So, what exactly does he bring to the fight? Let's take a look:

-Standard "Captain's Stats", plus +1T for being on a bike

-Ability to unlock RAS as Troops if he is primary detachment

-Several useful USRs, including Scout, Hit and Run, and Skilled Rider, which are all conferred to any unit that he joins.

-Inner Circle, which grants Fearless and PE: CSM to him and any unit he joins

-Teleporter Homer (enabling him to bring in Terminators safely all by himself) and Bolt Pistol (+1A in close combat)

Now, what really sets him apart are his Chapter Relics:

-Ravensword -- Given how rare AP2 weapons that strike at initiative are in 6th edition (especially ones wielded by I5 models... reference Necron Warscythes), this is quite a potent CCW that enables Sammael to take advantage of his high WS and I and decent attack numbers (5 on the charge) to deal with even the most heavily armored opponents.

-Adamantium Mantle/Night Halo-- Another rare capability in 6th edition, EW means that, coupled with his T5, 4++ form the Night Halo, and his ability to get up to a 3++ cover save via Turbo-boosting (Jink + Turbo + Skilled Rider = 3++), it is difficult to either torrent him down (it takes an average of 40 bolter shots to kill him, and that is without any Look Out Sir! rolls involved) or bring him down with high strengh, low AP shooting (if he tubo-boosts, it takes on average of 16 Plasma or Lascannon shots to kill him, again without accounting for any Look Out Sir rolls). Even in close combat, it takes an average of 15 PF attacks to kill him, since he can't be IDed.

-Corvex -- Perhaps the best part of his kit, the only Jetbike in the entire Imperium allows him tremendous mobility (up to 37-42" move a turn when Turbo-boosting, ignoring Terrain due to Skilled Rider) and firepower (a BS5 Plasma Cannon can move 12", shoot another 36", hits 1/3 of the time, and on average only scatters 2" when it does miss, so very likely to hit/damage what it is shooting at). If for some reason a Plasma cannon is not the best weapon, then he can instead use his TLed SB... at BS5, each shot will hit 35/36 times, so its very accurate. What's more, given that he is an IC, his shooting will get Precision Shots on 6s.

-Sableclaw -- Alternately, he can trade Corvex for Sableclaw, the most heavily armored Skimmer (minus its 2 HPs, of course) in the game.... AV14 front and side, with a 4++ save on top, it takes an average of 18 Lascannon shots to wreck him by glancing... even more it hopes to destroy him via Penetraing Hits. Additionally, Sableclaw can put out 4S6 and 3 S5 shots a turn at BS5, Twin-linked.... against hordes, almost all of these will hit, wittling them down very rapidly, and even high toughness units/vehicles need to fear his rending assault cannon, since it is so accurate and he has the maneuvaribility to get those side/rear shots (either Flat Out move or Deep Strike).

So, that is all his rules and equipment in a nutshell. How to integrate him with your army?

I have several tactics to share, but as I do I want put it out there for all those talented players out there who have used him effectively..... what has worked for you? How have you been able to synergize Sammael with the rest of your army most productively?

Thanks up front for your input and I will post some of my own ideas for tactical employment of Sammael later, when I have some more time ;)

6E has made me revise how I use Sammael... Now he can join units, I tend to run him exclusively on his Jetbike where before it was Land Speeder or bust. In a Ravenwing-heavy build, I tend to have him in a RW Command Squad to soak up nasty shooting... Sammael is the poisoned dagger hiding in the heart of the winged sword my Ravenwing drives around as. Screened by a fullsized Black Knights squad, he keeps the Command Squad alive to supply Feel no Pain from the Standard of Fortitude to the entire army, running like a bike stampede. The addition of a Darkshroud brings his (and the CS/BK) invulnerable save to 3++/2++ depending on whether or not they turbo-boost... Add that to screening a few full-sized RWA squads behind them, and he is the core of a brutal high-speed army that laughs off most fire on turn 1, maims with plasma then assaults whatever's left on turn 2, and then hit-and-runs to repeat on turn 3... Unless it has already destroyed its targets!

Alternatively in a more mixed list I tend to use him as a mobile turret, or to add some melee punch to a RWA Squad. Even solo he is a pretty hard distraction to ignore; even if it kills him he is capable of soaking up a huge amount of fire as you note, drawing the heat off of scoring units where it is important.

Tl;dr, Sammael is pretty boss.

Against C:SM I was thinking of running him in a plasmagun RAS to reroll Gets Hot and 1's to wound, as he gives P:E to the squad.

You mean against Codex: Chaos Space Marine (C:CSM), of course. teehee.gif

-Several useful USRs, including Scout, Hit and Run, and Skilled Rider, which are all conferred to any unit that he joins.

Do you mean that... If I keep Sammael in reserve and declare that he'll be deployed with a Termi squad, he automatically confers scout (and as a consequence : outflank) to the termi squad he will enter with? eek.gif

Do you mean that... If I keep Sammael in reserve and declare that he'll be deployed with a Termi squad, he automatically confers scout (and as a consequence : outflank) to the termi squad he will enter with? eek.gif

I would say so yes.

But as always, units coming in from reserve cant assault when they arrive. Since they got deep strike already, I don't really see this as a major upgrade. It's safer yes, but Sammy wants to be on the table from turn 1 with his plasma cannons range.

Hmm, Sammael conferring Skilled Rider to a 6-man strong RAS might be useful, to help them keep up with the RK and RCS through terrain...  And it'd give them the 2++ Cover Save as well.  Does mean the RCS would have less ablative wounds though. 

But as always, units coming in from reserve cant assault when they arrive. Since they got deep strike already, I don't really see this as a major upgrade. It's safer yes, but Sammy wants to be on the table from turn 1 with his plasma cannons range.

Well when you DS, you can't charge either, but I recognize that termis is not the best choice for that as you also loose the TL shooting phase.

However I perfectly imagine the same combo with an assault squad. Ok you won't charge but you can reach a good position for that. For the PC at first turn, well it depends, I sometimes prefer lose a turn and not take a single shot from my opponent and be able to shoot at a tank's rear at turn 2.

Well when you DS, you can't charge either, but I recognize that termis is not the best choice for that as you also loose the TL shooting phase.

However I perfectly imagine the same combo with an assault squad. Ok you won't charge but you can reach a good position for that. For the PC at first turn, well it depends, I sometimes prefer lose a turn and not take a single shot from my opponent and be able to shoot at a tank's rear at turn 2.

Arriving from Deep strike is the same thing as arriving from reserves ;)

Hence, since they got Deep strike comment :)

Yes, out flank will grant you a good position, but remember that your opponent will know that you will arrive from the flanks. Using anything but bikes or assault marines, would not be the optimal setting. It is easy to counter slow moving (foot sloggers) when they out flank. 

The most preferred skills he gives to other units are the other ones really. Such as:

- Skilled rider (good for RAS)

- Fearless (well stand fast)

- Scout move (to get into better positions)

- Hit and run (to protect the non close combat oriented units)

I think another role for Sammael is an "economy of force" unit. He has the innate speed and survivability to cross the entire board in a single turn and get that T2 charge against almost any unit in the enemy force, even ones buried deep in their deployment zone.

Sammael can then tie up a unit worth more points than him (or that is key to the enemy strategy) for several turns, effectively preventing them from moving, shooting, or assaulting any of your other units and "taking them out of the fight" long enough for the rest of your army to carry out its intended battle plan.

Examples of good targets for this tactic include:

-IG Blob squads

-Tau Battlesuit Teams

-Eldar Pathfinder/Ranger squads in cover

-Ork Lootas

-Tyranid Zoanthropes

-Necron Warrior or Immortal squads

-All variations of MEQ Devastators (i.e. Long Fangs, Havocs, etc.)

-DE Hellion Squads

-SoB Seraphim squads

Archived