Decimator Daemon Engine

Snejk

Greetings everyone!

I'm just about to start assembling my Decimator, and I'm wondering what would be the best way to go about this project. 

My initial thought was to prime each part on their own, then assemble and paint the legs and torso separately, leaving the weapons and shoulder plates to last.

I don't have an airbrusch so I'll be doing this with regular brusches. 

Any pro tips would be helpfull before i get started and do something stupid. 

This is what it all looks so far, untouched, just washed with soap.

Thanks Red Worm!

I checked them but they didn't really help much. 

I guess I'll just follow my initial plan.

How did you go about your Decimator?

I just got one about a month back, have it partially primed but nothing else. Still trying to figure out how to best magnetize the weapon arms too.

Yes, I thought about that as well. Have you thought about drilling straight through the flat "sides" of the weapon mount piece, glueing a magnet in each hole, filling the rest of the hole with green stuff? And then do the same with the weapon it self? It would probably require four magnets. Two for the mount and two for the weapon. 

I'm not sure how well the resin will hold though. But it is a thought. And it could work with fairly small magnets. Wount work with my 3 mm magnets though. 

A second option would recuire several weapon mounts. But you could magnetise the part that attaches to the upper arm of the Decimator. 

A third way could be to drill through the weapon and the weapon mount and then attach them with some sort of removable pins that allows you to change weapons. It would just require some sort of (preferably) metal pin. And your weapon could swivel vertically. And if you go with option two and three the weapon is interchangeable and can move in all directions. 

My decimator is still on the sprue. I don't have the room for proper airflow with all that resin. I'm looking into using magnets for the weapons. Nothing special, just something to let me choose from all the weapons.

Wappel has some great pics for painting, but it isn't great for a tutorial. It assumes a basic level of working with the medium. He suggests using sheet metal instead of magnet to magnet.

Hmm.. Yes, sheet metal seems like a good idea. Easy to work with, not too difficult to get in place and less drilling. 

And he had done some nice painting. 

You can always just use some sort of face mask to avoid breathing the resin dust? 

http://allt-fraktfritt.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=13

So it has begun. The assembly of what is going to be an absolute BEAST!

This one is going to be absolutely huge. I thought my Daemon Prince was big, but this one makes even him look like a midget.

Anyways. I primed the bits separately before cutting them off the sprues and will need to polish them a bit before i start giving this bad boy a base coat of Boltgun Metal and Stegadon Scale Green. 

I would really appreciate some ideas on what to do with the base. I usually just do something with them (Read paint), but this one i'd really like to do something special with. 

The bases on my other minis are pretty much just painted Mechanicum Grey if even that. I'm not much for doing bases to be honest.

I was thinking of doing some sort of city fight/ruin base for this one though.

• 2 weeks later...

So, after a 10 day break from painting I'm back with the decimator. 

I basecoated the torso, legs and head in Boltgun Metal before giving it a wash with heavily watered down P3 Formula Bloodstone to give a worn down rust effect but left the armour plates untouched. After that i painted some of the cables Ultramarines Blue or Mephiston Red to give the mini some more detail other than  just a bunch of cable. Then I basecoated the armour plates with Stegadon Scale Green. 

I'll most likely give the cables a a black was just to get some more details. 

The armour plates will be highlighted with Sootek Green and Kabalite Green and possibly hard edgeing with Goblin Green, and finish it off with a wash green wash. 

I'm still thinking of the trimming. That'll either go in bronze or metal. I think bronze could look really good. 

An overview

Close up

Rear close up

C&C is always welcome.

And here it is, just about complete. Tomorrow I'll buy a base from the local gaming store. 

I added som heat damage to the barrels, and the armour plates on the knees still need to be attached. 

But this is it. My Decimator with twin Butcher Cannons - for that extra Dakka.

Decimator

Archived