Deathwing Paint Scheme: Badger Minitaire Test Model

Hey guys.
I did a test model for my new Deathwing/Dark Angels army that I'll be doing using the Badger Minitaire paint line. You can read my personal thoughts at my blog http://pensacolawarhammer.wordpress.com/2013/02/14/deathwing-paint-scheme-badger-minitaire-test-model/
However, here are the results The pictures are huge, which makes things look worse than what they really are in my opinion, so if anyone knows how to shrink them to more appropriate size let me know.

http://pensacolawarhammer.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/deathwing-test-front.jpg

http://pensacolawarhammer.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/deathwing-test-back.jpg

First, I want to say that this is my first attempt at doing any kind of zenith painting or gradient painting with an airbrush. Before this I just used my airbrush to put down a base color. I also didn't complete the model as I just wanted to see what the colors were going to look like on the model, and to see how I would go about doing a gradient.
I'm very happy with the colors I've chosen specially since I plan on doing a sand color for the interior of my vehicles. I personally think these colors are more in line with what the Deathwing look like as opposed to the strange looking yellow bone color that's in the new codex. If you have any thoughts, criticism, or tips, let me know.

I agree that the shadows need to be darker. I just don't know if I should do a heavier coat of the shadow color I have, then do lighter coats of the high light colors, or go with a shade darker for the shadow color, which would be a challenge. I just started using the Minitaire paint range. They're great, but I don't want to pay for a color that I'm not going to use. Badger's color chart for the range is not exactly accturate. I do have an additional high light color that I've ordered, so it'll probably be here next week.

The colours look good 

If I can offer any advice Id say thin the paint more and put it on in more thin layers than trying to do a single pass. It looks like you have introduced some texture to the mini (you can see it most on the flat parts of the shins) I sometimes get this when I airbrush if the mixtures too thick or Im too close when spraying. 

Other than that its a good base to detail

I'd agree with UltraRich there does seem to be a bit of grittiness to the surface.

As for your pictures -

When selecting a pic in the gallery click the options tab and select "view all sizes", choose the size you want (I tend to go for medium) then right click on the pic and select "save image location" then paste into your image link.

There may be a quicker way but this is how I do it smile.png

@Razblood

Thanks for the tip on sizing the pictures. I'll make sure to keep that in mind for next time I post pictures. As for the grittiness, that is in part to my impatientence for wanting to jump into this test model. I grabbed and old model that I had stripped. I primed it Floquil grey primer, and botched it by holding the can too close to the mini. I sopped up what had pooled with a paper towel, and I didn't wait for the primer to fully cure. I just let it get dry to the touch. That's where the grittiness is probably coming from.

I do have a lighter "bone" color on order, so I'm eager to see what happens when it arrives. I'm also trying to find a few more older models that I don't care too much about to give it a second try with the colors I have.

Archived