StormEagle stuff

Tiger9gamer

wow there is a lot of talk for forgeworld this week O.o

anyways, I've been thinking of getting the stormEagle for my Ironwing as I like it much more than the nephilm right now. I've been thinking of using it as an AA and air support unit, maybe also putting a small Tactical squad inside for late game objective grabbing. What do you think?

well, I have a Land raider for deathstar transporting, but I don't want to lose a 500+ squad from a lascannon shot. I much rather lose a 136pt squad.

the troop/ flyer I'm thinking of:

Tactical squad (8 man, flamer, combi-flamer, melta bombs)-136pts

F/A1 (?): Storm eagle ( lascannons)-230pts

I don't own one, but, yeah, they're worth it. They're basically T-hawks scaled down from APOC (in points and badassedness) to 40k level. Deathstar in a land raider? Storm eagle comes on and hits it with a multimelta and two lascannons. Then the knight-star inside smites the deathstar that used to be in a land raider. Or...I guess instead of knights plus Bels and chappy, you could put ten generic termies in there? Either way, as long as you're nuking the enemy's land raider (or whatever) and dumping big termie pain off of an assault ramp on arrival, yeah, the SE is solid gold.

That depends. How are you using them or planning to use them? They can act as a bare bones transport with anti horde ability, or they can be tooled up and have a cheap squad placed inside. This second use would be for anti air and objective grabbing on turn 5. They are the best aircraft you can use that isnt an ally and they have a points cost to match. If you want to be more sensible get a vendetta. Way cheaper in price, way cheaper in points and way better rules. Hopefully it will be clubbed with the nerf sledgehammer (cause a bat would be too good for it,) but dont hold your breath. The only way guard players are going to use a points adjustment to his flyer (if the compendium provides one) is going to be in a new guard codex. And that aint coming soon thats for sure. But thats neither here nor there. The stormeagle is fun but its not points efficient in the current environment. It remains to be seen whether that will change.

No.

And while you will swear by the storm eagle when playing with it; while assembling it you will be swearing at it!

I have another 2-3 weeks to wait for replacement parts. I got an extra bulkhead, no struts, and one fuselage was paper thin.

You can only fire one ordinance weapon a turn; and snap shot other weapons. Ordinance can't snap fire, so one rocket, one POMS, and the rest is snap firing.

Making the rockets ordinance made them practically useless.

I haven't used a Storm Eagle yet, but I have used the Storm Raven. And by comparison the Storm Eagle seems to be a lot better than the Storm Raven. So I would have to agree that it's worth every point.

Though your plan for using it as a late game objective taker seems like wasting it. It's an assault transport. You want to put something scary in it. If you want a flying late game objective taker, take some IG allies with a veteran squad with plasma guns and a demo charge in a Vendetta. That'll clear almost any objective on the board.

I also had the gun ship mindset for a while. It didn't work out like I thought it should. Once I said to my self, "self, you have to deposit that payload THEN make it a gun ship" it started working out for me. I actually got the units that I wanted in melee, in melee and then the vehicle became that gun ship. So while having a transport vehicle designated as a gun ship is okay, just don't make it it's primary objective. It should be an Alpha Striker. Put a unit of Deathwing Knights or Hamminators in there shove it in your opponents face and say deal with it. Then have the ship start dakkaing around the board.

At first glance, it looks overcosted. But then I think more complex and what I thought:

In my roster I want an LRC to transport my assault group (260 pts with MM). Plus I want some really good AA - allied Vendetta. It's 250 minimum for one (Vendetta, empty ccs, empty vets) or 380 for two Vendettas. So, I have to spend 510/640 pts. And I can pay 300 and take all of this in StormEagle - assault transport plus very good AA. At this point StormEagle worthwhile.

Exactly the deathstar! Because StormEagle can make Deep Penetration ( ;) ) with enemy deployment zone. Enemy can screen his good choices of LR, but can't of over-the-top-36-inch assault transport. In the next turn you will wreak havoc. And if they destroy the flier, you still have 3++ of your Deathwing Knights. They will land near, take moderate losses and then assault an enemy. No escape!

The problem is with being a flier...(and the no assault on arrival rule)

At Best Turn two arrive from reserves, and turn 3 the unit inside gets to actually assault something.

Roll badly and that Deathstar never gets into combat..

I really want a pair of them, just hate the fact that they cannot start the game in Hover mode on the board.

If you were walking into a supermarket to buy food for your children I would still tell you a contemptor is money better spent.

just spit coffee all over my desk at work...caught me COMPLETELY off guard.

Thanks for making my day :)

Archived