Back in the game after 14 years!

avaccaro

Hey, I have been out of the game for a very long time, the last time I played as in 1999 in 3rd edition.  I played Dark Angels back then and I just picked up 2 sets of the DV set to continue the fight!  I know a lot has changed, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with critiquing my list!  I have a general idea of how I want to play with my Angels, so here it goes.   The general idea is to use the speed of the bikes and their teleport homers to DS the terminators and Landspeeders exactly where I want them to show up.  I haven't played a game yet and have yet to buy more than the Termies from the DV set, and the knights.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

HQ (Sammael) - 390

Sammael- 

Belial - (deep strike in with the knights)

Troops - 492 (Can split into combat squads for scoring purposes)

Ravenwing Attack Squadron

addl Biker x3 

plasma gun x2 

Attack Bike 

Multi-Melta 

Ravenwing Attack Squadron 

addl Biker x3 

plasma gun x2 

Attack Bike 

Multi-Melta 

Elites - 710

Deathwing Knights 

Relic 

Deathwing Terminator Squad 

Assualt Cannon 

Deathwing Terminator Squad 

Assualt Cannon 

Fast Attack - 495

Ravenwing Support Squadron (Typhoon Pattern)

Addl Landspeeder x2 

Typhoon x3 

Multi-Melta x3 

Ravenwing Support Squadron  (Tornado Pattern)

Addl Landspeeder x2 

Assualt Cannon x3 

Heavy Support - 480

Landspeeder Vengeance 

Assault Cannon 

Landspeeder Vengeance 

Assault Cannon 

Landspeeder Vengeance 

Assault Cannon

Teleport homers only work on teleporting models. They will not work with any other deep strikers. Locator beacons that you can purchase for drop pods will however work with any deep striking model.

I'd suggest a Dark Shroud and a unit of Black Knights. I'm not too keen on the Vengeance but have not tried it in a game yet. Have tried the Black Knights in a game and the amount of attacks they put out on the charge and the grenades are awesome. The Dark Shroud is just gravy when it gives your Knight a 3+ cover save just for moving and a 2+ for turbo boosting.

Your Deathwing Terminators are also Troops choices. Belial does not need to be the Warlord for his normal rules to apply. You don't even have the choice of keeping them as Elites.

Also, as Cypher 102 stated, Land Speeders can not benefit from the teleport homer. I suggest deploying them as per normal so they can start shooting from turn one onwards. No real need to hold them in reserve.

Wow, responses already!  thanks for the advice guys, I just looked at the codex abotu Belial, and that is great news, I can keep my bikes in groups of 6 then!!!  I didn't realize that it did not apply to all DSing units either, will just field my speeders on the start then!  the dark shroud looks interesting, and seems very good, I like the model of the Vengeance speeders A LOT and was very plasma happy back in the day and want to continue that now, not sure if they will turn out ot be effective.  I could take 2 out though and test with one, add the dark shroud and knights.  Also, I am unsure of the normal play (points wise) it was 2k when I was playing, and if it is still that any advice on what to slim down on?  The vengeance i assume, but maybe a group of normal speeders as well?

I don't think Plasma Bikers are worth it to be honest, for the same price you are paying for 6 ravenwing bikers with 2 plasma guns you can almost field 5 black knights, who will be oh so much better at whatever job you were going to use those plasma guns for.

I'd say run your Ravenwing Attack Squads with Meltaguns instead of Plasma, and then if I were you I would drop a Land Speeder Vengeance and a normal Land Speeder (my preference would be to drop a Tornado rather than a Typhoon) and use the points you free up to grab a 5 man Black Knight squad and then stick Sammael in there with them, they will be an absolutely devastating unit in every facet of the game and quite resilient too as long as you don't come up against AP3 template weapons.

Cool. I would look at deploying at least 1 squad of 5 or 6 Black Knights. They are a superb unit, great shooting, good in close combat and can even help out with anti-flyer defence. Also, you can free up fast attack slots by purchasing the speeders as part of the Ravenwing Attack squadrons. They are still separate units from the bikers but don't take up FA slots. :)

Edit - also I tend not to put multi meltas on Typhoon speeders as the weapon ranges don't mesh well with each other. :)

I wouldn't discount the option of putting Sammael into one of the Ravenwing Attack Squadrons where he would confer the skilled rider rule to them. Ignoring dangerous terrain and +1 to jink saves is definitely worth it. He would also give them fearless as well.

I wouldn't discount the option of putting Sammael into one of the Ravenwing Attack Squadrons where he would confer the skilled rider rule to them. Ignoring dangerous terrain and +1 to jink saves is definitely worth it. He would also give them fearless as well.

Hmmm, turns out I've been playing skilled rider wrong, I was still treating it as a re-roll for dangerous terrain like in 5th, not an auto-pass, boy am I going to have a blast next time I use my Black Knights.

Archived