New to Dark Angels, game... and painting.

IceBear

Hello folks,

I have recently started to collect Dark Angels and I have reached a dilemma. While I have adopted a very weird color scheme for my Deathwing and Ravenwing (Red armour, dark green arms and shoulderpads, silver helmets and blue plumage - Deathwing/Sand Brown, Red Trim - Ravenwing), I just named them Bloodwing and Sandwing, the rest of my tactical squads (two) are yet unpainted. I wonder do Astartes chapters adopt camouflage patterns for their armour or do they choose to stick to single solid colour?

Second as I am not too familiar with the game (I was mercilessly crushed in my two games) next to my company master, interrogator chaplain, librarian, two tactical squads, Deathwing Terminators and Ravenwing Squad what should I buy next? I am still unsure of my own playstyle so I am a bit in the fog here.

Thanks in advance for all the help you may provide,

Bear

generally, no camoflage.  When you're eight feet tall and encased in adamantium, you don't need it.  Also, 99% of what can actually hurt you uses sensors just a tad bit more advanced than the mark one eyeball, so it'd be useless anyway.

As for what to buy...well, it depends on who you play against.  I would definitely get some heavy support...maybe a devastator squad (with a librarian attached, they can be, well, devastating...especially since they got a points cut on their weapons!) or a land raider to ferry the terminators... really, you need to pick a theme first.  The worst thing you can do is field "ony of everything" the way you are right now.  Focus on termies, bikes, or power armor, but don't take all three in a smallish list, it makes it too easy for the enemy to decide which flavor is most threatening to him and kill them first for the win. 

Google "Reasonable Marines" on the 1d4chan site if you want a bit of a laugh about marines in camo. :)

My advice would be to get a few heavy weapons going in a devastator squad as your next option. 5 man team, 2 missile launchers with flakk and a lascannon - 140 points iirc.

Edit - spelling

I'd agree with March10k, you'll have to pick how you want to run your list before you can really decide what you need, but piecemeal is probably the worst thing to do in small games (as he said).

One thing to make sure is that you are using the units the way they should be. Sandwing (your RW, I think) are good to keep moving all the time and manuvering into position to let your Bloodwing (TDA forces?) come down exactly where you want them to be, but they are not that good "stick in there" close combat units. Your Bloodwing should be your mailed fist, beating down the hardest foes on the field, but keep them safe from multitudes of small arms fire or they will get chewed up (unless you never, ever fail armor saves) and don't let them get swamped by enemy CC units. From what I can see, if you start playing a pure -Wing army, your tactics will need to adjust some, but the basics of "Keep RW moving" and "Don't take on too much with DW" will remain the same.

There's no reason why you can't collect a decent multiwing force, using aspects of all 3 wings. It sounds at the moment that you've got the Dark Vengeance set plus a second tactical squad. This is a decent place to start but isn't going to win you many games as you've already found out. So far then, you've got about 900 points worth of fieldable units. There are 2 ways of progressing from here.

1) Scour the forums, look at tactical ideas and other army lists that people have written, decide on a points level you want to collect to, then write a list, get it honed with a bit of advice on the army list sub-forum, then buy and paint the models. This is the cheapest and most efficient way of doing things

2) Do what everyone else does - buy what is cool, paint it, learn the game, and realise that you haven't got a coherent army for any of the wings, then keep buying more and more, until you have 10,000 points worth of DA and nowhere to store it....... I'm about halfway along that path at the moment (4,500 points and counting) ;)

With what you have at the moment though, I would say that you wouldn't go far wrong with a devastator squad to get some heavy weapons on the field in support of your tacticals, and 3 more bikers to up your RW to 6 bikes.

:)

i personaly swear by tacticals. youll hear many other opinions, but there isnt a lot that can easily deal with 40-60 tactical marines. def get a command squad and put a banner in it. run it as the standard of devestation and suddenly you have more shots than a guard army !

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh501/farfromsam7/Mantis_Tranquility_Campaign_Sniper_Unit_zps21bcc593.jpg

That's an example of the Mantis warriors desert camouflage.  There are other examples of marines in camouflage too if you check around them interwebs.  This may have been retconned, but I have always liked the way marine camo looked.  I don't have the patience to paint them up in camo.  My suggestion is to hold off on buying and see if you can borrow a friend's models or proxy in what you want to experiment with.   Good luck and welcome

I apologize for the late reply. I have indeed started painting some of them. i will indeed open a separate log for them, but they are still work in progress, along with their storyline. Also thank you for all the suggestions. As mentioned I will go for Ravenwing with Power Armour and Terminator support. Suits me the best, I believe.

Archived