Area of except rules query

Boniface

I have two friends in my local group that have models no longer determined to be right. one actually makes his dreadnoughts taller adding an extra "knee to ankle" joint, it makes them at least an extra inch taller, but they do look super cool. 

my other mate has been playing for just as long as me, and was not as special when it came to me selling my old stuff when I thought I was done with the hobby (haha... yea right.) He has old ass cannon turrets ( the metal ones) and the old bodies. yea they are smaller, but I know he didnt do it specifically for the purpose of MfA. he's just had them that long. and with the cost of kits, it would be another 200$ for him to replace them, plus the hours of painting. He makes up for it with close calls on range, he gives them up. 

plus its really cool when we are playing a game and some newbie walks over asking about the tiny terminators I have, and his predators. (kid we've been playing for longer than you've been alive always shuts them up, even if it might not always be true) 

That's awesome; just remember to play fair and talk about the awesomeness of your army to your oponent to avoid nerdrage over the awesomeness of the rules as they are written tongue.png.

BTW: How many Tactical squads can you fit in that FoR? I'm not too familiar with buildings rules

tongue.png

The Fortress of Redemption consist of 4 buildings...

Three of them have firepoints and Battlements.

The Tower has just Battlements.

Two Bunkers, which can have a Tactical Squad Inside, and One on the Battlements.

The Walkway, Which is where the Command Squad sits inside, and one tactical on top of the Walkway.

The Tower, no reason to put anything inside, as there are no firepoints. But this is good location for a Dev Squad with a Divination Libby.

So in a FoR you can have 5 Tactical squads, a Command squad, and a Dev squad... and room for one more squad.

Basically almost your entire Army/Gunline..

And since the other 3 buildings all touch the walkway, they will all be affected by a SoD...(the battlements of the tower do not get the aoe from the SoD, but a SoF they would.

A PFG will protect all 4 buildings completely with 4++ saves, and the walkway battlements will be fully protected, but only 4" from the walkways on the bunker battlements, which is about 2/3 of the battlements.

Which is 100% by the rules, regardless of any comments to the contrary..

I have a bunch of attack bikes, which theoretically don't need to be modeled with a base (or at least they didn't in 5th). I put mine on 60mm bases though, to fit in with the look and feel of the rest of the army. Many is the time that I have cursed the round base which won't allow me to park my attack bike hard up against the wall of a building to get out of line of sight from an enemy unit!

Awesome idea with the FoR but lets be honest it really needs tracks or something to be useful. Speaking of which how did they get it onto the battlefield in the first place? Deep strike perhaps? Seems awfully convenient that it turns up so often, ADL is understandable they're blatantly portable.

Anyway I digress.

Seems like a few contradictions in thoughts but that is expected, people have different opinions. There are, however, some things I find weird in the comments.

If I modelled an awesome commander I would totally want to field him, I don't just create models to gather dust, but then again I'm hardly golden demon material so no biggy for me. Seems strange that someone would suggest do use your awesome (or not so much) models because I don't like the size of your base. Worse still the theory that a model is old and doesn't conform to current size (i agree with don't alter a model to make it significantly different). So by this line of thought I cant use an forge world product because it wasn't made by games workshop and therefore the space marine is 1mm shorter/taller than a games workshop figure. Or using a dreadnought from forge world is not ok because it's taller and therefore got better line of sight (or something to this standard).

Maybe I'm just too lenient I accept anything that I think is reasonable. Hell I'll even allow people to stand in as emperor class titans, because (lets face it) they're roughly the right size. Plus who (but the most dedicated modeller) has an emperor class titan. I admit the logistics of a titan are a bit tetchy.

I one up you FoR and suggest put your librarian and standard beared in a titan and surround the feet as it ponders forward although by this point i think salvo 4 bolters is probably a moot point.

The 5e brb specifically mentioned how models on bigger bases than supplied could be used, but that conversions that altered gameplay should be counted as being the size of the regular kit. Not got my 6e book handy but does it really not have anything similar?

The 5e brb specifically mentioned how models on bigger bases than supplied could be used, but that conversions that altered gameplay should be counted as being the size of the regular kit. Not got my 6e book handy but does it really not have anything similar?

6th edition, from the impression I am getting, is more heart of the gaming, than rules rules rules.

I dont think it is mentioned in the 6th ed BRB if you should count the original size of the model.

Thing is, in the end, players who constantly seek out rule abuse like this, will in the end have few friends willing to play against. But that might just be me and how our gaming community in general work.

The 6th edition book has a little blurb on bases on page 3. Pretty much it says that these rules were written with the intentions of using the bases supplied with the models. And if your model didn't come with a base you should feel free to mount it on base that other similar models use.

I kind of wish they did talk about the bases more like they did in previous editions, since questions about base sizes do come up.

The 6th edition book has a little blurb on bases on page 3. Pretty much it says that these rules were written with the intentions of using the bases supplied with the models. And if your model didn't come with a base you should feel free to mount it on base that other similar models use.

I kind of wish they did talk about the bases more like they did in previous editions, since questions about base sizes do come up.

As I said, this edition is more about the spirit of the game.

As an old geezer, playing for fun, and have basic knowledge of what bases to use, what rules to use when unclear, etc, I very much prefer the 6th ed approach. Keep it friendly, play to have fun.

But!, In a tournament envoiroment this raises questions, and many of them. Thus, local/national FAQs and rules show up. Debates on forums, etc.

It all comes down to common sense really. And thats what they want us to figure out... but... we are bound to rules, and if given freedom to break the rules (since there are none for some areas) some people will abuse it.

In every codex, new edition of rule books, there will always be people/players who will directly find as many loop holes as possible, misspelling, wordings etc, so they can abuse obvious typos or Rules As Intended.

I am personally happy that I am no longer super active in tournament gaming. I play with friends and other "matured" players. My power gaming days are pretty much over.

Archived