Possibly Returning...

River Black

Hey guys. Its been about two years since I’ve posted or even played a 40k game and the other day I got that unscratchable itch. The problem is that were now in 6th edition and as with every change in addition radical changes need to be made to an army to make it competitive. Here is the problem. I’m considering dusting off my old Ravenwing army but I have no idea if they are competitive anymore or what changes need to be made. If I do start up again I’m looking to do it in the most cost efficient way possible. By this I mean I don’t want to have to spend $300 dollars on new flyers and $200 on new speeders or $XXX on a fortress or defense line that I have to lug around with me. I understand that ill have to pick up the new rule book and codex and possibly some special characters but beyond that im really not interested in adding to much more to the 4000 + points of black plastic that I already have. If I cant get back on the table in under $300 I think ill just leave them in the box and keep playing Malifaux. Any thoughts on this?

In case it help this is approximately what I have available. (its been several years since I’ve looked at it)

Captain on a bike

master of Raven Wing landspeeder

Librarian on Bike

Chaplain on Bike

Command squad on bikes with various power weapons/ shields

40+ bikes

12+ bikes with various meltas, flamers, plasma

8 - 10 scout bikes with various load outs

5 - 6 attack bikes

6 - 9 land speeders as either tornados, typhoons

Thanks in advance guys

P.S. Army list are welecome

Welcome back! The good news is that bikes are good in 6th Ed. Toughness 5, 5+ Jink save simply for moving, and the Ravenwing gets Hit & Run as standard. Yippee!

Looking at what you've got I would say that most of it is going to be useful in some form or another. Sammael's speeder isn't as good an option as his jetbike anymore, so you may want to look into getting the jetbike model, our Company Masters (Captains) can't take bikes and we don't get scout bikes, but everything else looks good.

The only thing you really need to think about is some Black Knight units. They are bikers who have Plasma Talons (twin linked plasmaguns) on their bikes instead of twin-linked bolters. In order to field them you'll either have to do some conversions using spare plasmaguns or plasma pistols, or buy some.

Flyers you can get but they are certainly not necessary in a Ravenwing army, and you might be tempted by a Dark Shroud at higher points levels but again its not mandatory.

So really, if you can do the Black Knight conversions you won't have to buy anything if you don't want to! :)

Archived