To V or not to V?

Boniface

General thing for all units that have the option.

Is it worth spending 10 points to take a veteran (unless you just wanted to use 10 points up)?

Seems the regualr vet can do pretty much everything the same, plus could save you money on upgrades.

I just personally can't see any benefit.

Maybe I missed something.

I'm assuming you are talking about the Sergeant. The only benefits from it are really the 2 attacks and Ld 9. There are situations that could be good in, but all DA are stubborn at the least, so I'm not sure how often the difference between Ld 8 and Ld 9 will come up (there is a straight statistical value, I'm just not sure how often real world it will work out to match the statistical value).

In a squad designed to get close, such as one with Melta weapons, it could be beneficial, but there are better assault units.

Really, I think they messed up allowing basic sergeants full access to the same weapon selection options as the veteran sergeants. That would have been a big difference.

Extra base attack and pip of leadership seems reasonable for 10 points, although it's not going to be universally beneficial. I don't tend to take Azrael, which means that I do now miss Rites of Battle for my non-DW units - Ld9 makes a bit of a difference for objective holders

The leadership bonus of the Vet Sarge may or may not be a useful thing, as we don't have Combat Tactics, so having a low leadership is a way of allowing us to fall back out of trouble, to then auto-regroup the next turn.

The 2 attacks is useful if we are getting into CC, but at that stage we would need some sort of power weapon to make the Sergeant pull his weight, so then have to spend an extra 15 points minimum. So in my opinion, the Vet Sergeant upgrade should actually be looked at as a 25 point upgrade. (Vet + power weapon)

Imo, the units which have the Vet Sarge upgrade option are the ones which can best be geared for shooting, so should be tooled up that way rather than for CC. We'll leave that to the Deathwing and RW Black Knights!

I think the vet upgrade is a waste of points on all units, except assault marines and maybe ravenwing.

I ran the numbers in a thread in the army list sub forum, it's not even worth it for the Ravenwing! Assault squads only!

when I read the title of the thread, I thought it was going to be talking about having your ravenwing in a V formation on the table, which I did yesterday, and it looks :cuss hot awesome. 

OT: I don't plan on buying the Vet upgrade for any of my units unless I'm sitting on ten points to spend and nothing else to do with it. 

OT: I don't plan on buying the Vet upgrade for any of my units unless I'm sitting on ten points to spend and nothing else to do with it. 

Even then, I'd give serious consideration to spending those points on a combi-weapon.

Archived